Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
*FIX* for AVI clip error messages with Win10
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Nobody is saying that your original videos aren't right. Using Handbrake or any other software to convert it is just one way of working with a clip that PD (or any other editor) can't work with directly.

There is an issue with Win10 that has not yet been addressed by Cyberlink that causes certain clips to fail in PD. You tried my solution for that and it seemed to work, but then you ran into new sets of problems.

I don't blame you for being upset, and I'm sorry you had to go through all this effort only to be disappointed by something new and unexpected.

There are several other ways of getting PD14 to work with your clips without having to convert them first, and if you are willing, you can start a new thread and post the results of the "DxDiag" test that's spelled out in the Welcome sticky at the top of the index page.

That's the only way anyone can tell why you're not able to work with your clips now. You could so in PD12 before you updated to Win10 (I assume) so something happened with Win10 and PD14 that broke your functionality. Usually, what's broken can also be repaired, but you'd need to be at the right place to start something new.

Please post Parts A,B and J from the Welcome thread in the PD14 forum whenever you're ready, and I and others will try our best to assist you. We're basically all volunteers here and we help because we want to share our knowledge experience.

It's also Ok if you're really just done and want to find another editor. If so, I wish you good luck.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
dianddra9999 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: atlanta, ga Joined: May 07, 2014 20:37 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks! Well after I posted on here I tried the codec tool fix again and was able to produce that specific video. If I run into anymore errors I will do as you suggest and post my dxdiag on here Intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40ghz 16 gig RAM
win 10
Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 4gig RAM

[Post New]
Question: Are you sure we still need to switch from "Microsoft" to "LAV Splitter" each time we run a K-Lite update?

I ask because here's what I did:

1. Around Sept 29, I followed the instructions in the YouTube video, installing K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1140_Mega.exe and then switching the two radio buttons from "Microsoft" to "LAV Splitter."

2. I ran PowerDirector, and a lot of AVI files opened just fine. (I think a couple still had problems, but I was happy enough with the ratio.)

3. Around Oct 28, I decided to run the latest K-Lite update: K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1155_Mega.exe. I don't think it occurred to me to switch the two radio buttons from "Microsoft" to "LAV Splitter."

(I'm sorry about my fuzzy memory on this step, but I'm *pretty* sure I didin't switch the radio buttons.)

4. I happened to try the two AVI files that previously caused trouble, and now they worked just fine.

5. Now I'm running the latest update, K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1165_Mega.exe. I happened to open the Codec Tweak Tool, and I see that both the radio buttons are set to "Microsoft (recommended)" again.

I'm a little torn, since I won't get a reply to this before I pick whether or not to change the radio buttons, and I'm not sure how to re-launch the Codec Tweak Tool except by running the installer.

For this install, I'll change the radio buttons to LAV Splitter, then check back on this thread later to see...

Will there come a point where we can trust the "Microsoft (recommended)" radio buttons, or will we have to use the Codec Tweak Tool and change those radio buttons to "LAV Splitter" with each new K-Lite Mega version?

Is it possible that time has already come?

Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AG

The simplest answer is to run the Codec Tweak tool each time it's offered after updating the K-LITE pack, and use it to (re)select the LAV Splitters. If the tweak tool is not offered, then the update didn't change anything related to those settings.

If you ever suspect that the settings have been altered, the easiest way to check (and fix) it is to start typing "codec" in the "Ask me anything" box and the Codec Tweak Tool Desktop app will pop up at the top. Click on it and then on the Preferred Splitters button.

The answer to your questions about being able to eventually "trust" the MS splitter isn't anything I can answer. The media error issue with PD and AVI files on Win10 is clearly caused by the use of MS' splitter, but your guess is as good as mine as to whether the onus is on MS or CL to make the changes needed to solve the problem.

I would assume that CL would be in the better position to make the appropriate changes more quickly, but they might also be working with/providing feedback to MS to get a more compatible version released for the OS.

In the mean time, keep those LAV Splitters running

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 11. 2015 13:36

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

dianddra9999 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: atlanta, ga Joined: May 07, 2014 20:37 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I just stopped using AVI altogether and only use MP4 now. Intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40ghz 16 gig RAM
win 10
Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 4gig RAM

optodata
[Post New]
Quote: Here's the solution to solve the media error messages caused by an incompatible codec when using AVI clips while running any version of PD on Win10:

1. Download the latest MEGA version of the K-Lite Codec Pack (v11.7.5 as of Nov 30) from *here*

2. Watch this *video* and follow the steps shown. Pause whenever needed, but the only important step is to set both the 32-bit and 64-bit AVI source filters to use the LAV Splitter near the end

3. Start PD and you should be able to preview, edit, produce and create DVDs from the AVI clips that had caused problems before

4. Optional download the Update Pack to update your installed pack the latest versions *here* (v11.7.5 as of Nov 30) Download this if you have already installed an earlier version and just want to update the pack. NOT needed if installing the main pack. NOTE if the option to run the Codec Tweak tool appears after running the update, please click on the Preferred Splitters button and check/set the LAV Splitters again

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
K-Lite Codec solved the problem editing and converting AVI files on Windows 10 with PD 14. Also allowed Windows Media Player to correctly play AVI and MP2 files. Thanks!

As an aside, I wanted to note that prior to installing the codec pack I downloaded and installed Windows Movie Maker (as part of the Windows Essential Software Suite - circa 2012 I believe) just to see if it functioned, and it handled AVI files perfectly. Output options were limited (could not create MP2 - only MP4).

I'm disappointed that Cyberlink did not jump on this issue quicker (and as far as I know, still have not resolved it within their software). I paid to upgrade from PD 13 to 14 after migrating to a Windows 10 machine to see if that would solve the problem, and it was just a waste of money.
optodata
[Post New]
RevCJK, Cyberlink has been able to duplicate the problem and they've assigned an engineer to resolve it. I don't know if they will release a patch for PD12 or 13, but I expect that at least PD14 will be fixed with the next patch. The issue is with PD only, editing software from other vendors does not seem to be affected.

PD14 has many useful new features, and I hope you don't see it as a waste of money. Here's a summary of the new *features*

If you don't think you'll use any of them and you don't want PD14, you should be able to get your money back if you purchased it less than 30 days ago.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 10. 2015 17:59

YouTube/optodata

Tmace [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2015 00:50 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Sadly I installed K-lite codec and could not change the splitters to lav. Later I followed by fixing Windows Registry, my pc didn't have any of ":" at the start of CSLID. I go to powerdirector and have my FHD AVI file to try to edit or produce it into a different format. Error code 3 comes back and Still says make sure drivers are up to date, I checked and everything is. So it fails to produce halfway in and the color is faded as the resolution is lower. I created custom Profiles and went through everything and it still happens. The color when I record my games with is YUY2, the codec to encode the images is set to LAG codec because that is what is best. I can play the file with K-lite pack. Also K-lite has LAG enabled. I tried updating and downgrading the K-lite pack. I have all attachments below. I want this fixed becuase i have had this problem for already almost 1 year. I cannot record in MP4, srry for the long paragraph but.... yeah.
 Filename
ERRORCODE.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Error code 3
 Filesize
80 bytes
 Downloaded:
1580 time(s)
[Thumb - Desktop 12-31-2015 9-57-41 PM-586.png]
 Filename
Desktop 12-31-2015 9-57-41 PM-586.png
[Disk]
 Description
Picture When You Play Video Out Of PDR14
 Filesize
2130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
336 time(s)
[Thumb - Desktop 12-31-2015 9-56-40 PM-238.png]
 Filename
Desktop 12-31-2015 9-56-40 PM-238.png
[Disk]
 Description
Picture When You Attempt To Produce Video
 Filesize
1180 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
337 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 31. 2015 23:00

PC Specs
Intel i7 / 8GB Ram / 2 Tb Hard Drive / Nividia GeForce GTX 760 / Windows 10
Josh330 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2016 17:17 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Installed and fixed the problem. But now there is a new problem. For the first 1-2 seconds of the video for AVI files there is no audio. The audio works perfectly outside of PowerDirector. What is the issue here?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is there a way to fix this without needing to install K-Lite? I use KCP as a media player and I don't want to replace it with some other thing (especially one that tries to push nonsense into it's installers like that). KCP is awfully similar to K-Lite (it's a bundle of MPC-HC with LAV Video, LAV Audio, LAV Splitter, MAD VR, ReClock, and XY Subfilter, albeit they're the 32-bit variation since they're still working on a 64-bit release), so perhaps it would include the necessary components?

FYI I'm trying to work with AVI2 files created using D3DGear (video game recording software). If you want me to get specific:

Recording Variables
Format: AVI2 (OpenDML)
Video Codec: Fast MPEG-4 Version 2 Codec
Audio Codec: Raw PCM
Resolution: 1920x1080
Framerate: 60 frames/second
Total Bitrate: 150835

My Machine
CPU: Intel i7 2920XM
GPU: NVIDIA 560M
Memory: Kingston Hyper-X 16GB @ 1600Mhz
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 256GB SSD

I hope PowerDirector 15 will address this in the core program so that this isn't a problem anymore. Frankly, software that costs so much and claims to be for professionals really shouldn't have serious issues with core formats like AVI, quite unacceptable if you ask me. However, I can sympathize to a point that Windows 10's release may have caused some unprecedented issues, but it's been a fair while now and the next version should certainly fix them or it's just ridiculous, no offense but come on.

Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I see this is in the wrong forum "Previous Forums" for me now, so I'll make a new post in the PD14 forum.

Edit 2: Made my new thread here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45196.page

This message was edited 11 times. Last update was at Mar 22. 2016 20:51

cincydroneboy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2017 13:36 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
i downloaded magic+pd then i saw i need to download this Mega pack? when i go there it says to download drivers? is this correct?
brandon_issokool [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2021 16:50 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using Powerdirector 18 in 2021, I recorded a gaming video but it keeps telling me this

Media Source Error Report :
Error type : Audio cut
Material type : Audio
Error information : Unknown
Material filename : C:\Users\Ann Marie\Desktop\FX\Nope-Sound-Effect.mp3
Detailed information : ..\CES_Source\Src\CES_Engine\CES_MediaLoader.CPP:1712
Audio decoder filter GUID : 9BC1B780-85E3-11D2-98D0-0080C84E9C39

I tried the things you said in the past but it doesn't work for me. I'm using windows 10 Can you help me?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I tried the things you said in the past but it doesn't work for me. I'm using windows 10 Can you help me?

It's probably better to start a new discussion as you actually have a different issue as the error is caused by an audio file (.mp3). Click on the New Topic button on this page.

Please upload the Nope-Sound-Effect.mp3 clip using the Attachments button in your first post so we can see what's going on with it and PD.