Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director crashes computer whilst loading initial media
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: iandh2010 ,

Just a thought- that "tram.wmv" is a sample 3D clip of- you guessed trams / trains running on a track.

These clips are totally unnecessary once you started using PD - you can experiment with them but I just remove them from my library to stop them from auto loading into PD whenever I start the prgm. (They are not deleted, still on my hd in the location you mentioned for NTSC and PAL.)

Try this:

Move the tram.wmv file to another location or else rename it to: tram.wmv.bak
Now try starting PD again and see if that moves things along.

Rob

Hi RobAC,
Look in Preference settings Preference>Settings> Uncheck "Automatically load sample clips .....

Hi iandh2010
I have already mentioned installing the latest QuickTime (would have been an overinstall), I'd be interested to know if the change of tack worked for you.
REF: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28942.page#158347
2. It has been found that downloading and installing the latest QuickTime from Apple's site (it's free) will cure a start up issue. QT should be installed when PDR11 is installed. The QT update will not harm the situation and may result in success.

Your answer: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28942.page#158352
I have now downloaded and installed the latest version of QuickTime for Win7, V7.7.4.

I usually recommend the uninstall route via the Control Panel before applying the latest QT. Sorry, perhaps I should have mentioned that.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2013 14:35

iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd & Capt'n,
I was intending to have another go at getting PD11 going tonight but got delayed (car breakdown) so it will have to be in the morning now!

Don't worry I will give you a full report on my findings so that it will be recorded for everyone's benefit.

Least I can do in exchange for all the help you guys and others on this forum are giving me.

Regards
Ian
Regards
Ian
iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
The Cap'n is correct in as much as I do not get a chance to set preferences as PD11 has not even got that far when my PC crashes completely.

I have now reviewed the article that the Cap'n pointed me to suggesting that I change the registry keys for PD11 but that is something that I shall leave to a last resort. I will try renaming the file BUT first of all I will try uninstalling QT, then change my settings in Avast Anti-Virus and then reinstall QT to see what that does for me.

Just about to get on with this now but I have got fee earning work to do today as well (one of the reasons for buying the new PC)!

Thank you all for taking an interest in my problem I'll make sure that I give you all a full update later.

Regards
Ian Regards
Ian
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ian,

Just to be clear I wasn't suggesting you try the registry hack. In that topic I was looking at what the final solution turned out to be which I included below.

SUCCESS!!
I finally traced the error to a faulty installation of Quicktime7. Director has a dependency on Quicktime, so a bad install of quicktime shows up as a failure before i can get control over Cyberlink Director11.

Special thanks to vn800rider for the registry instructions - this led me to recognize what went wrong when i installed it (successfully) on my daughters near-identical computer.

So, just FYI, if anyone else experiences a similar failure - consider reinstalling Quicktime.

David

Good luck! I sure hope you get the problem resolved.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
I have tried everything that you have all suggested but still no further with my problem with PD11.

1) I tried uninstalling QT7, disabling Avast as instructed and then re-installing QT7 - no change;

2) Changed both Tram.wmv file names - no change

3) Noted that in the Media pane I only see rectangle icons but get no previews of any of the files;

4) By launching task manager first before PD11, I was able to see that when PD11 had got as far as it would go with the loading sequence the PDR11 process was still using 25% of my CPU time;

5) If I killed the Power Director application in Task Manager, the opening screen disappeared from my desktop but there was still a PDR11 process running and consuming 25% on my CPU; When I tried to kill this off it refused to die!

6) Tried an un-install of PowerDirector and re-install - no change.

7) Disconnected from internet, turned off Avast, tried running PD11, no change;

What I would like to try is an un-install of QT7 and then disable Avast completely and re-install QT7. Anyone got any idea how I can do this in a way that does not leave me connected to the internet without anti-virus protection? QT7 appears to download and install in one go, online....

Regards
Ian
Regards
Ian
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi iandh2010 ,
Reply: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28942.page#158452
Quote: I have now spoken to the PC supplier who advised that the DXDiag output said 2 Displays because I had two monitors connected to the single HD 7700 GPU and not because of any erroneous reporting from the GPU.

Hi Ian,
I have never seen a diagnostic report two GPU's when only one present. No dual monitor set up should cause such. I think the error (in my view) in the GPU reporting is more likely to indicate a hardware (even a software issue) configuration problem. Video editing exposes a computer to a great deal of stress and any malfunction or wrongly performing part will throw up an error. I think you need to take your computer back to the seller. I have run dual monitors for a very long time and no diagnostic has ever thrown up such a report for me. On this forum, no such diagnostic has been displayed/reported.

I'm just voicing an opinion here and what you do is upto you. However I believe you have a Computer/GPU issue.

Dafydd
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
OK the shop is shut now but I will get on to them again tomorrow morning.

Just so that I know what to tell them to check at their end can you please confirm that I have understood you correctly:

1. When YOU run dual screens you do not see two tabs in the DXDiag Report saying Display 1 and Display 2?
Or is there somewhere else it reports 2 GPUs present?

2. How does this explain why PD11 doesn't work when I only have one screen attached and DXDiag only shows a Display 1 tab?

3. I guess that I could ask them to download the free trial version of PD11 and try running it on a similar setup.

Thanks for your suggestion as I really do not know what else to try at my end.

Regards
Ian

Regards
Ian
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
Two stupid questions:

1. How do I run PD11 in Safe Mode? When I tried that, as suggested, all I got was a message saying ""PD can only run under 1024 x 768 High Colour (16bit) resolution or higher"

2. I assume that you are all running the 64 bit version of PD11 as I found this article https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4553510?start=0&tstart=0 about an incompatibility between MS Office 64bit and QuickTime which is only available in 32bit version.

OK OK OK I think that I might have found something.......
I have just opened the QuickTime Player V7.7.4 which I have now downloaded and re-installed several times, and tried to open the file tram.wmv and all that happens is that I get an error message saying "Error - 2048: Couldn't open the fiile Tram.wmv because it is not a file that QuickTime understands." Am I missing some codecs or something? If I double click the file Tram.wmv Windows Media Player launches and plays it happily. If I then open the nature.mpg clip in QuickTime that plays OK.

Anyone any ideas?

Regards
Ian
Regards
Ian
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ian -

The reason QuickTime won't open Tram.wmv is that it's a 3D video. Other media players, like WMP or MPC will handle it but not QT Player.

Not having followed the rest of the thread, I won't add further than that.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]

"Look in Preference settings Preference>Settings> Uncheck "Automatically load sample clips ....."

Dafydd,
You know I did this when I first started using PD and then totally forgot this setting even existed! Brain fade.
thanks.

Ian,

Have you tried this also?

Rob

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2013 18:32

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK Guys,
Now as far as I have picked up from all the experts on here:

1. PD11 uses QT to display the sample photos and video clips that get loaded into the media area at startup.

2. QT can't play Tram.wmv because its a 3D video.

Question:
If QT is used to display the sample video clips loaded at startup, why is PD11 shipped all set up to load 3D files that can't be displayed by QT?

This does not make sense to me otherwise as soon as you load any 3D clip, surely QT will hang causing PD11 to hang?

I must be missing something here.

I don't get a chance to go to the preferences as the program crashes before I get access to any menus as it is still auto-loading the clips when it crashes...

Regards
Ian

Regards
Ian
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Also just a shot in the dark here - if you have Catalyst Control Center try uninstalling it.

See this post for more info: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28244.page

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ian -

QuickTime Player is a different thing to the Quicktime Codecs

PD needs the QT codecs but the player itself is superfluous. When you're using PD, it accesses the QT codec to display media, play audio etc... but it does not make any use of the actual player.

For example - you could (not suggesting you should) uninstall the QT you've repeatedly installed and install a separate QT codec like http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm and PD would function happily.

Does that make sense?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2013 19:23

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Were you able to start PD in Booted "Safe Mode"?
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cap'n,
I had one go at running PD11 in safe mode and got an error message saying the screen res was too low to run PD11.

Then I forgot all about your suggestion, sorry!

I have just tried again as a last resort (heading off to bed now) and increased the display res first to my max. setting 1900 x 1080.

Ran PD11 got some message about something being missing did I want to load it and when I clicked yes, PD11 loaded up, all the media displayed correctly as thumbnails and I could even drag the Tram.wmv file onto the timeline - success!!!!!!

Now just need to know how to get it all working in normal mode.....

All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ian Regards
Ian
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Now you just have to do a selective startup and you will zero in on the problem preventing power director from booting up.

Thanks for trying the safe mode boot.

Kevin
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cap'n,
Looks like its the Catalyst driver for my Radeon 7700 that might be causing the problem.

See RobJ/OZ's post at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28244.page#158618

Now looks like I just need to find a Catalyst driver version that works!!!!!!!!!!!

And all I wanted to do was edit my videos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like with all this higher end graphics stuff one has to become a bit of an PC expert

Will keep you all posted

Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I am using CCC 12.10. I don't always use the latest driver, although I always test the latest to see how it works. But if I experience a problem I roll back to an earlier version that "Did" work. And I always give the beta driver a look, if one is available, to see if it corrects and/or causes any problems. It sounds like you are getting closer to finding the source of your problem.

With your graphic card I don't know how far back you can go back with your driver version. But it's fairly easy to do. I see that Robert gave you a link to previous drivers. I save several versions to my PC so I can revert back if I suspect a problem is caused by a newly released driver. .

I use CCC 12.10 because if I advance my driver to something more current like version 13.1, then I experience some pixelation with blu-ray playback using Cyberlinks Power DVD 12 and 13 which is a media player.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kevin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 07:46

iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cap'n,
I have now installed V12.10 Catalyst driver as suggested by yourself and had downloaded V12.8 as suggested by RobertJ/OZ http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/28244.page#158762 and all seems to be working so far.

For your reference, before I did that I reran PD11 in Safe Mode and the message dialog that came up as it was loading said "Cyberlink Rich Video Launch Rich Video" which I then OKed.

So as far as I am aware CCC V13.4 does not work but also another version that was originally loaded when I received the PC also didn't work. I'm not sure what version that was but Dafydd might as he looked into my DXDiag report and suggested that I should try updating my Radeon 7700 drivers.

Still got to try out the video capture from my camcorder via my new FireWire card but hopefully I should be there now.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me out as I would not have had a clue where to start on this. If I turn it on and it doesn't work then I'm stuffed although learning all the time.

This is a really great Forum community

I expect that I will be back on here but hopefully it will be asking how to do some high end video editing not trying to get the hardware working.

Once again thanks to you all.

Regards
Ian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 20:02

Regards
Ian
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi iandh2010 ,
Your previous driver information from your first diagnostic files:
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1172 (English)
Driver Version: 9.12.0.0
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2012 21:08:04, 1151488 bytes

I would be interested to view your present diagnostic data with your working drivers in place. I'd like to see if the anomaly where you had your card data displaying twice in the diagnostic - see if that has been corrected.

REF: Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x683F)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_683F&SUBSYS_23181787&REV_00
Display Memory: 748 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB
Shared Memory: 3839 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: V223HQV
Monitor Id: ACR025D
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1172 (English)
Driver Version: 9.12.0.0
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2012 21:08:04, 1151488 bytes

Dafydd
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
Back again!!!!!

I have just discovered that when I thought that I had installed V12.10 it did not install properly as it is not actually driving my Radeon 7700 GPU.

When I run DXDiag it tells me that I have a VGA driver installed and I can't even run an extended desktop.

That probably explains why PD11 loads and runs..............

Cap'n Kevin - was there something else I needed to do between uninstalling V13.4 and installing V12.10 ?

Regards
Ian Regards
Ian