Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR11 Crashing on Startup? SOLUTION: Uninstall Catalyst Control Center!
Psy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2013 14:29 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone!

I have been having problems with PDR11 Ultimate crashing on startup for the past 3 weeks. I have tried dozens of different ways to fix it from reinstalling PDR11, to defragmenting my PC with no avail--until I uninstalled CATALYST CONTROL CENTER!

Some background: 3 weeks ago PDR11 was working fine until I had installed a virtual reality game on my system (now uninstalled due to trying to fix PDR11) which asked me to update my video driver/graphics card--so I did. I downloaded the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) from the AMD website, proceeded to update my video driver, then a few days later PDR11 began crashing.

So, if anyone is having similar problems with PDR11 please try uninstalling CATALYST CONTROL CENTER! Thanks for reading, hope this helps!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2013 11:33

[Post New]
This issue comes from AMD's driver for OpenCL acceleration...
I read something from other developer forum, it causes their program crash at start too. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Jean65
Newbie Location: Germany (but I am French) Joined: Apr 27, 2013 08:41 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Psy,

I have the same problem.
You solved yours by uninstalling CCT. Did you un-install everything, including the AMD drivers? With which driver for your graphic card do you run now ? Jean
I7 2.8 GHz, Asus P7p55D, RAM 8 G, RADEON HD 7700 2048 Mo.
Psy [Avatar]
[Post New]
@Jean65 No, I didn't uninstall everything. What I did with my AMD driver was I disabled it in the driver options, then ran PDR11. Even after disabling my graphics driver PDR11 still did not run! This is how I knew it was not my driver: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (512MB VRAM).

In trying to fix PDR11, I completely updated windows (Win 7 64 bit), PDR11 and many other programs (even programs such as skype). I also uninstalled many programs that I didn't use from my pc. How I discovered that it was the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) was that I was about to uninstall my driver, so I uninstalled the CCC first. I then decided to try to run PDR11 "one last time" and Eureka! It worked!
Jean65
Newbie Location: Germany (but I am French) Joined: Apr 27, 2013 08:41 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Psy,
I will try to un-install CCC only. Jean
I7 2.8 GHz, Asus P7p55D, RAM 8 G, RADEON HD 7700 2048 Mo.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Psy,

Excellent troubleshooting tip.

Maybe add "uninstall Catalyst Control Center" or something like that to your title so when others who have AMD cards do a search on here it pops up even more?

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Psy [Avatar]
[Post New]
@RobAC Thanks! I edited the title.
iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
I have just bought a new AMD Quad Core PC with AMD Radeon 7700 graphics card and I have just updated my driver as PD11 kept crashing on startup.http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30/28942.page#158603

I was therefore very interested in in reading this thread.

However, when I checked and tried to uninstall Catalyst Control Centre using Control Panel>programs I could only find AMD Catalyst Install Manager which I was not given an uninstall option for.

Any advice?

Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
FYI - I have been using the full ATI (AMD) catalyst (current version) for some time and have not had any problems that you report. Perhaps the issue is coming from elsewhere such as another video edit app ???? Win 10, i7
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Having had the same issue (which appears to be an issue with Open GL) with various NLE's after installing the latest version of Catalyst, AMD advised me to completely uninstall all drivers using the Catalyst uninstall utility

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

Then reinstall a previous version, in my case I rolled back to version 12.8 and problems are now resolved

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob,
Sounds like you have cracked it but as a newbie to high end graphics cards could you please advise me on the following:

1. I assume that when I uninstall the Catalyst Graphics driver the graphics card will still work in some native VGA mode so that I can carry on and re-install an older version. Its the only graphics card on my machine......

2. I have downloaded the Catalyst uninstaller ready to use but where did you find the V12.8 version?

3. Is there a way to find out which version I am currently running?

Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ian,

!. The Catalyst uninstaller will remove all traces from your computer, when uninstalled your display will revert to Windows. You will find that you will need to adjust the resolution to be able to fully see your desktop.

2. You can find previous versions of Catalyst here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

3. Open Catalyst Control Centre
Click on Information
Click on Software
Your version will be displayed

After uninstalling you will need to shutdown and reboot before reinstalling the drivers

Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi RobertJ,

Having now found the detailed view option in my AMD Vision Engine Control Center (many thanks) I have found that I am running Catalyst Version 13.4. However, when I first started with this problem (when I changed from an i5 laptop to my new AMD PC) I was running on an older version which Dafydd advised I updated from ( quite reasonably) so therefore I know that at least one of the previous HD 7700 driver versions did not work for me.

Thanks for the links to the other versions I am just about to try all your suggestions and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Ian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 06:40

Regards
Ian
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
13.4 is the version causing the problems, AMD are aware of the situation, whether or not it will be corrected in the next version we will just have to wait and see.
If possible roll back to a version that you know worked, if you can remember what version you previously had, thats the one you should roll back to.

PDtoots
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi RobertJ,
I have now run the AMD uninstaller which says that it may uninstall other AMD drivers which made me panic as I have an AMD chipset based PC!

I then downloaded both V12.8 and V12.10 (which Cap'n Kevin is running http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30/28942.page#158653. I ran the V12.10 installer that had a filename of "12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe" so I presume that I am now running V12.10. Interestingly when I right click the desktop it shows me AMD VISION Engine Control Center not CCC and in the detailed view it no longer offers me the option to check the software version!!!!

When I clicked Preferences>About it told me that I had Version 2102.0928.1532.26058 installed.

I have now run PD11 and happily it loads all the example media and I can drag the Tram.wmv file onto it along with some other files and preview it all. However, I did notice some strange chirping noises on the Nature.mpg sample video. Does anyone know whether these are crickets or something and supposed to be there or have I still got a problem with PD11 when previewing .mpg videos?

I haven't tried any rendering yet or media capture from my camcorder via my new Firewire card which I really must try ASAP.

Thank-you very much for your assistance everyone! Another satisfied customer of a really great Forum

Regards
Ian
Regards
Ian
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi RobertJ,

I thought this was too good to be true!

I have just tried driving two screens and there is no option in V12.10 to detect a second screen.

Or rather the V12.10 does not appear to have installed properly and when I run DXDiag it says I an running a VGA driver.......

I am just about to post a message on the other thread to Cap'n Kevin as he is running V12.10 http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30/28942.page#158653

Is there something I needed to do between uninstalling V13.4 and installing V12.10?

Regards
Ian Regards
Ian
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
Correction to my previous posting on my Catalyst Driver issue for my AMD Radeon 7700 GPU.

When I thought I had installed the V12.10 driver something went wrong with the installation and as a consequence I was in fact running the GPU with a Windows VGA driver which is why everything was working fine!

However, I noticed some vital information was missing from the CCC display and I could not set up my extended desktop display.

I then uninstalled V12.10 and then re-installed it and the CCC was fully featured and I got my extended desktop back BUT PD11 loaded in and displayed the media clips correctly but then as soon as I dragged Tram.wmv onto the timeline everything crashed again!!!!!

I have now uninstalled V12.10 and installed V12.8 which is the one that RobertJ suggested and it all appears to be working now and allowing me to drag the clips onto the timeline and view the movie.

At last !!!!! And I have now got my extended desktop back.....

Regards
Ian Regards
Ian
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
John-hpxref2 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: West Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2012 17:16 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
When you do a fresh install of the AMD graphics software, select a Manual install from the install window...not an automatic install
If you do this you will see a check box for the Catalyst install.(at least for my AMD HD7750 install CD) Leave it unchecked and just check the driver install.
The install will then leave out the Catalyst control centre and just install the raw graphics driver for your card.
I would insert a picture here showing this , but my PD11 system PC is down with a defunct power supply and a replacement still has not arrived.

One thing to check if your CPU has an on chip video.
Do a speed comparison test between your graphics card and the CPU chip video h/ware when producing your video
I have found my on chip video to be very much faster at producing std DVD video than my new HD7750 card, which I have now discarded.
John
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi John,
I am now happily running Catalyst Version 12.8 which appears to be OK with PD11 and my Radeon 7700.

As it all appears to be working now I will leave well alone but will bear in mind what you say if I run into problems later. Unless CCC slows down PD11?

Thanks
Ian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2013 12:48

Regards
Ian