Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director crashes computer whilst loading initial media
iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I have been using PD11 on an HP Core i5 laptop with external screen for some time now for producing short (10-15mins) videos for presentations at my local astronomy club.

I have now purchased a 4GHz AMD FX - 4100 Quad Core PC with AMD Radeon HD7700 graphics processor in the hope of rendering etc. faster than on my laptop and with nice large dual screen editing facilities. The PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium edition.

I bought the PC with operating system and all cards and drivers ready installed.

One of the first programs that I installed was PD11. However, after registering the product successfully I then opened PD11 i full editing mode and it started pulling in some media files. However, while installing the media the cursor changed to the rotating wheel and would not move or do anything. In fact the whole PC was frozen and the only way out was the power button reset

Can someone help me please? As indicated, the PC appears to run all the normal programs successfully and I have also tried downloading and installing the latest PD patch from the website.

Unfortunately I can't give much more info as PD11 doesn't get far enough through its boot-up sequence. Regards
Ian
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

I have been using PD11 on an HP Core i5 laptop with external screen for some time now for producing short (10-15mins) videos for presentations at my local astronomy club.

I have now purchased a 4GHz AMD FX - 4100 Quad Core PC with AMD Radeon HD7700 graphics processor in the hope of rendering etc. faster than on my laptop and with nice large dual screen editing facilities. The PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium edition.

I bought the PC with operating system and all cards and drivers ready installed.

One of the first programs that I installed was PD11. However, after registering the product successfully I then opened PD11 i full editing mode and it started pulling in some media files. However, while installing the media the cursor changed to the rotating wheel and would not move or do anything. In fact the whole PC was frozen and the only way out was the power button reset

Can someone help me please? As indicated, the PC appears to run all the normal programs successfully and I have also tried downloading and installing the latest PD patch from the website.

Unfortunately I can't give much more info as PD11 doesn't get far enough through its boot-up sequence.

Hi iandh2010,
Please give some more information.

1. A diagnostic - Part B in the guide below. THis will provide additional data we'll find useful.
2. It has been found that downloading and installing the latest QuickTime from Apple's site (it's free) will cure a start up issue. QT should be installed when PDR11 is installed. The QT update will not harm the situation and may result in success.

Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

Dafydd
iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
Thanks for the quick response.

I have now downloaded and installed the latest version of QuickTime for Win7, V7.7.4.

Unfortunately it does not appear to have made a significant difference. I have attached (I think), a PDF of a screen dump just before the computer froze. It shows that while importing tram.wmv, PD11 detected that I was importing hi def video and asked if I wanted to enable Shadow Files. I have tried both Yes and No but it makes no difference the cursor just changes to the rotating wheel and that's about it, computer frozen. This last time I was still able to move the cursor over to a program in my taskbar but as soon as I clicked on it the computer froze.

Answers to questions as requested:
Please provide answers to the following in your post on this forum.
1. Which operating system do you use, <W7>
3. Which SR number (available in the "About" box of PD and is NOT the CD-Key!) <Don't get a chance to find out>
4. What kind of video source material used (codec / container), extension? We often ask for a 5 to 10 second sample , please provide one as an attachment. <Tram.wmv>
5. A detailed step by step description of the problem. See Part D below. <as per previous posting and above>
6. What anti-virus solution is installed on your PC? <Avast anti-virus free V 8.0.1489>
7. What codec packs installed? See PD's Readme html file <what came with PD11 I guess as not installed anything else yet>
8. What other video editing programs are installed - just in case there is a software conflict. <None only MS Office 2007>
9. What burning software is installed on your PC? <standard Win 7 i.e. Windows DVD maker>
10. What type of blank disk was used, if you have a burning create issue? <N/A>
11. What background processes / programs running (especially important for problems with the burning)? <None apart from Win 7 processes>
12. Provide the dxdiag log file as an attachment, see Part B below <attached>

Hope you get everything OK

Many thanks

Filename
PD11 Screendump.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
245 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
298 time(s)
 Filename
iandh2010DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
284 time(s)
 Filename
iandh2010 64DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
259 time(s)
Regards
Ian
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi iandh2010 ,
Thank you for the data.
The diagnostic reveals both your GPU's have out of date drivers. Please visit the AMD site and locate the latest drivers. RE: Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2012 21:08:04, 1151488 bytes

Are you operating AMD Crossfire?

The image pdf was just a standard notification message. Look up: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24619.page#133778
For your set up you do not need Shadow Edit files, however you will struggle with a low end CPU.

Please check out Part J in the guide and provide the info on the wmv please. Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

Where is the media data located on your system, C drive?

Dafydd
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
I have now updated my AMD Catalyst driver for the Radeon HD 7700 as instructed but it has made no difference. See attached DxDiog files.

However, I think that we may be homing in on the problem.....

You said that both of my GPUs needed a driver update and then you asked me about CrossFire. As far as I know I only have one single Radeon HD 7700 as shown in my Device Manager.

I ma going to check on the above and will let you know the results before running the check on the media files which are the srandard sample media files that come with PD11 so should be all OK. Certainly the tram.wmv file plays OK in Media Player.

Regards
Ian
 Filename
iandh2010 DxDiag 130630 - 19_53hrs.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
280 time(s)
 Filename
iandh2010 64bitDxDiag-130630-19_54hrs.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
278 time(s)
Regards
Ian
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
I can't find any way to tell what the GPU thinks it's got attached, ie another GPU.

I remember seeing mention of operating two or more Radeon 7700s connected together with some sort of video bridge and that they automatically sort out what speed to run at etc. This suggests that they auto detect each others presence in the system.

I suspect that if the main GPU thinks that it is part of a pair then that could cause the system to hang as soon as PD11 tries sending stuff to the GPU for processing.

Does the above sound feasible?

Regards
Ian Regards
Ian
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Dafydd,
I can't find any way to tell what the GPU thinks it's got attached, ie another GPU.

I remember seeing mention of operating two or more Radeon 7700s connected together with some sort of video bridge and that they automatically sort out what speed to run at etc. This suggests that they auto detect each others presence in the system.

I suspect that if the main GPU thinks that it is part of a pair then that could cause the system to hang as soon as PD11 tries sending stuff to the GPU for processing.

Does the above sound feasible?

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian,
I'm not going to try and guide you with AMD GPU's (I don't use that set up) but you should have access to controls and options that'll give you the way to make changes to your GPU set up. What you've written is a possible. If it were me, and it was your computer, I'd take the panel off the tower and look inside to physically check the GPU's present. I would also look to disable a Crossfire set up, if it was in operation. Call a friend or a local techie to assist you? At the moment your diagnostics are stating one thing and you're indicating another... Go GPU hunting.
Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

Unfortunately I can't give much more info as PD11 doesn't get far enough through its boot-up sequence.

Hi Ian, when did you buy this computer, recently? Is it new or from someone?

The cursor circling is when the operating system is activating a drive to get the data frm. Video editing will show up system and hardware issues. This may be a HDD issue, simply failing to function/wake up. Has your drive been defragmented?

Is the HDD with the data stored on it the:
Drive: L:
Free Space: 231.5 GB
Total Space: 953.2 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WD My Book 1110 USB Device
this one?
In which case I know they're slow to wake up - terrible for video editing and you'd need a "ping" software like "NoSleepHD" to keep it active.

Just added information as I think we're getting sidetracted onto GPU's.

Dafydd
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
I have already had the side panel off and there is definitely a Radeon 7700 in there BUT only one.

I will give the tech guys a ring from where I got the PC from.

I will let you know how I get on.

Many Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
I have now spoken to the PC supplier who advised that the DXDiag output said 2 Displays because I had two monitors connected to the single HD 7700 GPU and not because of any erroneous reporting from the GPU.

I have therefore run two more DXDiags as attached and everything appears to be OK.

I have also tried running PD11 again with only one monitor attached but I still get the same crashing of whole computer.

The PC supplier suggested that I tried updating Windows several times to make sure that it is fully up to date before anything else.

Just about to do that and will keep you informed. Already done this once!

Answers to your questions below:

HDD that PD11 is installed on is the C: drive "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector11" the video clip appears to be stored in "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector11\Sample Clips\PAL or NTSC" whichever the program is attempting to load.

This HDD is a 1Tbyte SATA drive with 7200rpm spindle speed and 947 GBytes free disk space

The computer is brand new.

Only other issue may be that I installed the PD11 software from the downloaded zipped files that I received when I originally purchased the software over the internet. If the cursor circling is problems with accessing the HDD is it possible that it is searching the wrong location for the tram.wmv file? If this is the case though, I would not have expected it to crash the whole operating system just hang the PD11 program.

Regards
Ian
 Filename
iandh2010 - DxDiag - 130701 - 11_43hrs.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
282 time(s)
 Filename
iandh2010 - 64DxDiag-130701-11_44hrs.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
256 time(s)
Regards
Ian
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried booting your PC into "safe mode" to see if PowerDirector starts successfully?

Edit: see Cranstons post below.

I run two discrete video cards on my PC.. Power Director will only use one of these video cards but I have them in a crossfire configuration which doesn't prevent PowerDirector from opening on my system.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2013 07:16

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I remember seeing mention of operating two or more Radeon 7700s connected together. . . This suggests that they auto detect each others presence in the system.
Hi iandh2010,

Did you see that mention on Cyberlink’s site? Don’t know if it has anything to do with your issue, but is this perhaps what you remember reading?
Notice the graphics combination of a separate onboard plus discrete card combo used in the Testing Platform.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate/features_en_US.html
(Scroll down to the Blazing Speed section)

[Thumb - Multi Gpu Support.png]
 Filename
Multi Gpu Support.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1019 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2013 07:07

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cranston,
Yes, that might have been it but I have also just remembered that there is a video on You Tube from an international exhibition, I think in Holland, where they were discussing the speed improvements in PD11 new release which also mentioned the multi-GPU approach.

There is obviously something funny going on here as all the rest of my software appears to function correctly but having said that I am not running anything else that is GPU intensive at present.

Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cap'n,
Thanks for that advice.

However it would appear as though the two GPUs issue was a red herring as DXDiag now only reports the one display (as I have disconnected my second display.

I am just about to run another Windows Update while I am away from my PC for a few hours.

Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Once your windows update has completed, it might be helpful to know if power director starts with your PC booted into safe mode. You might then be able to zero in on what is preventing PD from starting.
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cap'n,
Will do!
Ian Regards
Ian
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
iandh2010 ,

Just a thought- that "tram.wmv" is a sample 3D clip of- you guessed trams / trains running on a track.

These clips are totally unnecessary once you started using PD - you can experiment with them but I just remove them from my library to stop them from auto loading into PD whenever I start the prgm. (They are not deleted, still on my hd in the location you mentioned for NTSC and PAL.)

Try this:

Move the tram.wmv file to another location or else rename it to: tram.wmv.bak
Now try starting PD again and see if that moves things along.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
This problem sure is a good one!

I noticed you were using Avast Anti Virus. This software has caused problems with another Cyberlink software PowerDVD from starting successfully that I had read about in that forum. So I thought it might also be affecting PowerDirector.

The solution was to make a change in the Avast Anti Virus settings. It might be worth a try and won't take much time.

Copied from the PowerDVD forum:

Support. It is to disable "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in behavioral shield.

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
This attached post certainly has the same symptoms as yours. And the culprit was a faulty QuickTime installation. I realize that you had installed the latest version of QT, but maybe a problem still exists with your installation of QT. Perhaps uninstallation of QT, then try a reinstall action? Maybe you could get some helpful tips from this topic:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25973.page#141498

My apologies for all the guessing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2013 09:10

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: iandh2010 ,

Just a thought- that "tram.wmv" is a sample 3D clip of- you guessed trams / trains running on a track.

These clips are totally unnecessary once you started using PD - you can experiment with them but I just remove them from my library to stop them from auto loading into PD whenever I start the prgm. (They are not deleted, still on my hd in the location you mentioned for NTSC and PAL.)

Try this:

Move the tram.wmv file to another location or else rename it to: tram.wmv.bak
Now try starting PD again and see if that moves things along.

Rob

Hi RobAC,
Look in Preference settings Preference>Settings> Uncheck "Automatically load sample clips .....

Hi iandh2010
I have already mentioned installing the latest QuickTime (would have been an overinstall), I'd be interested to know if the change of tack worked for you.
REF: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28942.page#158347
2. It has been found that downloading and installing the latest QuickTime from Apple's site (it's free) will cure a start up issue. QT should be installed when PDR11 is installed. The QT update will not harm the situation and may result in success.

Your answer: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28942.page#158352
I have now downloaded and installed the latest version of QuickTime for Win7, V7.7.4.

I usually recommend the uninstall route via the Control Panel before applying the latest QT. Sorry, perhaps I should have mentioned that.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2013 14:35