Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks for the info.

Yes you are correct in your assumption about what I want to edit.

Will follow what you suggest and see how I get on. I'm sure I'll get there in time.

Chris
Hi cranston

Thanks for the input. I had assumed initially that the Trim window was more precise so what you say makes sense.

My query with Trim is, as I have said, is that the tutorial states that footage to the left of the In Marker is deleted, or at least that's what I think it is saying.

Perhaps you clear the fog for me. If for example I wish to remove footage in the middle of a clip, leaving the footage either side in tact, what is the correct procedure.

Perhaps a step by step (idiots) guide by a user will make it all clear to me, hope so anyway.

Thanks

Chris
Thanks for the replies, will give your ideas a go.

Chris
Hi Eric

Thanks, do you know if you can still use the Trim window to get a really accurate place to split? The Timeline isn't anywhere near as accurate I don't think.

As I said the tutorial video is very confusing for a novice at is seems to say all the video left of the In Marker is deleted, if this is true seems strange.

Chris
Hope it's not bad etiquette to come in on this but I have been having problem getting my head around the Trim function.

Like Iven have some captured video that I need to Trim. Basically, I have video that contains footage which is a mixture and becuase of the way it was captured on my camcorder is out of date sequence. I would like to cut and splice the video to produce video that is in chronolgical order or even to create separate videos for different time dates.

I have looked at the video on YouTube and unless I am understanding it incorrectly it says that if you place an In Marker in the Trim window anything to the left i.e before the In Marker will get deleted.

I have tried this and this seems to be the case which is frustrating as all my efforts only result in footage prior to the In Marker disappearing whereas I just want a section of video in the middle to be removed.

So far I have made some changes by using the Split function but this has mainly been where the unwanted footage is at the beginning.

Would appreciate any help as I'm sure I'm not following things correctly.

Thanks, wouldn't dream of insulting anyone by sending my menu to DirectorZone having seen some of the examples.

I have only modified the Template 10 for my own use to fit the DVD. I can see that in the create menu option it's possible to save any creation as a new template, which I assume is what you are referring to when you say save the menu?

If I then use the newly rendered MPEG file I can use any of the saved menu templates, YES??????

I'll have a play around with the new file and recreate the menu I had before just to see how it works out. I'll get there in the end it's just that the old grey cells take a little longer to kick in these days.
Thanks Kevin

It seems strange, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject.

What about my saving the menu I originally created and reusing with the newly rendered MPEg file?

Chris
Barry

Still trying various things to try and increase my understanding of what the best process is.

How do I save the menu and use it with the new file.

Also what's the rationale behind saving the project to MPEG-2 HQ rather than going straight to disc burn in the project, which would seem to be the logical process?
UPDATE

Decided to try the DVD on my stand alone DVD player (Sumvision Phoenix Premium). I bought this recently as it has HDMI and is multi region and would complement my new Samsung 40" Full HD TV. It's only a cheapie brand but reviews were good and my experience is that the less well known brands are less finicky when it comes to playing DVDs.

It has optical audio out that is connected to my home cinema system and input selection on the system is also set to optical for DVD playback.

The manual for the dvd player says that digital output ALL will allow the player to use the DVD original audio track and uses the Dolby Digital AC3 signals through the optical or coaxial audio output.

The PCM option should be selected to use the stereo(2 channels).

Tried it with the default setup I had been using i.e Digital and although the initial music track played there wasn't any audio on the main DVD. I switched the audio setup on the player to PCM and lo and behold it worked perfectly.

Not sure quite what this tells me as I'm not really a techie with these sort of things but perhaps someone can shed some light.

Also, not clear on why the DVD wouldn't play on my laptop but again perhaps someone can explain as this would be my preferred method of testing before writing to a permanent DVD.
Thanks for the reply Barry.

Will do as you suggest and see what happens.

Just one point however, if I render to MPEG-2 HQ doesn't that mean I lose all the DVD menus i.e it just produces a straightforward MPEG-2 file.

If I get sound on the MPEG-2 file is there a way that I can reproduce/retain the menus I have already setup when I burn the DVD?

I have incidentally looked at the DVD in CloneDVd2 and this shows the audio stream as English MPEG/2 so it looks as if the audio stream has been written to the DVD. I haven't tried the DVD in my stand alone DVD player (for viewing on the TV) and just wondered if this was something strange with the PC and the DVD might play correctly for TV playback.

PS

Since posting originally I have now produced the MPEG-2 HQ file and it plays back with video and sound in Nero.

How can I now burn a DVD with all the menus etc. which is what I really want to do.

Incidentally I use DVD-R RW as my test discs before burning to the final DVD.

Does PD8 have the option to burn an ISO image?
I have just produced my first DVD with PD8 and when Previewing before burning it looks and sounds really great but when I play back the final DVD on my laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium) I don't get any audio.

The original captured file is in MPG (MPEG Movie format) and that plays OK.

I originally set the audio set to Dolby Digital and with Enable Cyberlink TrueTheater Surround enabled. The video recording format is DVD-video-regular display (4:3). The video encoding is set to MPEG-2 is with Smart Fit to ensure fits onto a single layer 4.7GB DVD (it is 1hr 50min in length).

I then burnt the disc again but this time set the audio to MPEG-1 but got the same result.

It is a fairly basic DVD, no transitions etc, just menu & title with chapters set every 15 minutes automatically.

I have also Produced an mpeg of the file and that plays back in Nero with video and sound OK, but of course no menu structure etc.

Would appreciate any help on resolving this please?

Thanks, in anticipation.
Thanks for clearing that up Barry.
Thanks for the reply, it confirms what I have found by Googling that PD8 does work with a USB capture device.

Thanks Barry

It wasn't disc label printing I was after but the DVD Movie Case cover (sleeve), but not to worry.

By the way what is CL?

Thanks

Chris
Is it possible to produce a DVD Case cover of a created DVD (with chapters is poss) from within PD8 and if so how?

Looked at Help and can't see anything>

Thanks
Hi, wonder if any one has used one of the USB2.0 video capture devices such as Belkin, StarTech.com S-Video to USB 2.0 Video Capture Cable, Dazzle Video Creator Platinum or Ezcap.

If the answer is yes would be interested to know what settings were used and what the results were like.

Thanks
I am a complete beginner with PD8.

I have two captured video clips & wish to combine them to create one DVD, no problem there I think. I have dragged the first clip into the timeline and it shows the start as 0:00:00:00 as I would expect.

I want add a short music clip to run from when the video starts to play and to stop just as the main video content is showing. I also want to include a title.

In other words I want to move the start of the video back by 22:83 seconds which is the length of the music clip. This will also hopefully give me time to include the title before the actual footage shows.

Can I shift the start of the video by that amount to achieve what a want, and if so how?

Thanks
Go to: