Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: Excited Fred,

I think you are getting over excited and can't see the wood through the trees, now think logically about what you are trying to achieve. You want to create a video with images, video and effects all in 4:3 ratio, then you want to view said masterpiece in 16:9 but without black bars.

As you say, you cannot create your video from within the PiP track, SO, create your masterpiece in the timeline as normal, then PRODUCE the video in the format you want, start a new project and import the PRODUCED video. Then place your colorboard in the timeline, your produced video in one of the PiP tracks and you are ready to complete your project, there you are, Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt.

Robert

That's another clever workaround too. Thanks.

That's a LOT of work to do. Will the video quality be degraded after this Produce->Import process? I never tried as I'm running out of time...

p.s. it's funny that threads in this forum are not sorted by the time of last reply.. at least not by default.
Quote: Just another point, what the **** are we doing asking and answering questions on Christmas Day, don't we have better things to do.

Merry Christmas everybody

Robert

haha

Merry Christmas guys!

Having spent more time on PD8, I found that the reason for having blurred slideshow is that no matter how high resolution your original photos are, once they're dragged into timeline, their resolution will be automatically adjusted (usually reduced) to that of the video frame.

In some slideshow styles, you can customize the focus area (e.g. Cell style or Motion style). Once you re-focus the photo (usually you'll reduce the size a bit), the photo will be blurred as that area will be stretched to fill up the area. That explains why I got some very blurred slide show photos.

This can be demonstrated by the PD's Slide Show tutorial in youtube. (see attachment for screen capture)

Too bad PD8 can't take advantage of the high resolutions of original photos...

Quote: Hi again excited.ferd -

To be honest, it sounds like you're trying to too many things at once. Try to remember that dear friend of Marcus Aurelius who said, "I do one thing. I do it well. Then I move on."

Just a couple of ideas because you appear to be not understanding what others are saying to you...

1. You don't need to make plain backgrounds in Photoshop. That what Robert and Robert were saying. Just use Color Boards.

I made the white board in Photoshop *before* Robert told me PD8 has such thing. ; Of course now I know there exists such thing inside the pull down menu "All Contents".

2. The only transition you can have in the PIP tracks is to fade in & out. Use the main video track for other things (also - put your name on this list http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9387.page

Thanks. Added in the thread.

3. You don't need to even put a coloured background on your 4:3 clip. You simply have to change it to 16:9.

Like what I said in my previous reply. I don't want to see my clips being stretched to be fitted into 16:9 frame... Everything will look short and wide!

Let us know if you have trouble doing those things.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, fully support this idea! I'm frustrated to redo all my videos/photos after I found that they're better to be placed in PiP tracks.. I can't simply drag to those tracks!
Oh I just found that after I put a video in PiP tracks. All effects are lost. It's because the effect track is located above all PiP tracks.. sigh.

And also, no transition effects are possible on the videos/photos.. Guess I have to give up the idea of using PiP as video track. Just let the black margins stay there...
Quote: Just to make it easy for you to find the color boards as I could not find proper instructions in the help file.

1. Click on the button "All Content" and it is in the drop down menu.

Cheers

Robert S

Oh there are color boards in PD8.

I made a white 16:9 rectangle with photoshop and have it placed in master video track and all videos/photos in PiP tracks, just like what RobertJ/OZ suggested. It actually sounds a bit odd. But it works.

The downside is that I have to re-edit all my photos/videos because I can't simply drag them from master track to PiP tracks.

So what's the point of having Master VIDEO Track? Why not make all "PiP track"? At least they can drag back and forth from other PiP tracks. Or should it be renamed Master Background Track?

Don't get me wrong. I like PD8. It's relatively easy to use. I didn't spend much time on reading/watching many tutorials before geting myself started as most of the features are quite intuitive and easy to use. I'm a totally newbie to video editing stuff. I also downloaded Sony Vegas trial. Wow! I did't know where to start with!
Quote: or - alternatively - right-click on the clip and change it to 16:9. Then you won't need a background!

That's all explained in the aspect ratio video tutorial.

Cheers - Tony

I guess that would stretch the videos.. just like watching 4:3 TV programs on a flat TV in "wide mode". No that's not what I want to see for all my videos/photos.. But thanks for your input.
Quote: Put a color board in the timeline, stretch to the length of your video and place your video in one of the PiP tracks, easy isn't it

Robert

That solves my problem. Thanks!

But it's like a workaround more than a setting.. The master video track is occupied by a white board and the videos/photos has to be put on PiP tracks.. Now I have to redo all videos/photos in Master Video Track and have them inserted in PiP Track. Too bad they can't be dragged directly from Master Video Track to PiP Track.. or is there a simple way to do it?
I guess there should be an easy way to change the background color? But how?

Quote: I think you need to watch the video tutorials.

These should be viewed first
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

and then:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7782.page

Look up Aspect Ratio, Slideshow PiP Designer and Magic Motion. actually watch them all.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Thanks. I watched Aspect Ratio, Slideshow PiP Designer and Magic Motion tutorials. But none of them mentioned an option for changing the background color of the "letterbox" from black to other colors...

Why is the resolution of 100% preview only 647x366 (roughly)?

How does a photo of size 1800x1200 fit into this window?

What's the resolution of the DVD burned video? PAL 720x576?

I'm new to video editing and just downloaded PD8 a day ago..
When I'm inserting a 4:3 video or photo in timeline of my 16:9 project. What I get is black margins..

How do I make the background white or other colors/pattern so that it's not the back color that always fills up the unused part of the screen...?

Thanks.
Is there any limitation/recommendation on the resolution of photos used?

I've tried hi-res (4-7MB)/low-res (2MB) and those sample photos come with PD8. They all come out like burred.. it's like after being placed at timeline, they've been shrink in size, so when I try to preview, they're being stretched out .. that makes them burred.

An encoding limit of 50 for iPod/PSP files (follows AAC's trial guidelines)

Does the above limitation on trial version stated on cyberlink's website mean the size of all photos being dragged to timeline will be reduced to a very small size?? If that's the case, then it explains the blur thing of my photos...
Ok. I completely uninstalled cyberlink PD8 with Revo Uninstaller and also all related things in registry (via advanced scan). Then I re-download the trial version of PD8 from cyberlink website and had it installed.

It's still the same... on both notebooks.
Trial version of PD8 normally doesn't have the problem I described, right?
Quote: OK Ferd -

I didn't know what the other PC was like. I gather you produced the slide show on the i7 machine? Yes? No? It certainly looks more capable.

Maybe it isn't completely hardware related, though I stand by my previous comment.

I would certainly be doing a complete uninstall/re-install on the machine that gave you the error message about PhotoNow.

Use something like Revo Uninstaller to completely remove PD, PhotoNow & and all registry entries.

Something is badly wrong somewhere, but I can't see it yet.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for your idea about completely uninstall PD. I'll do it right away.
Quote: Hi excited.ferd -

Have you tried producing a slide show to see how the quality of the images appears? That might be worth a try.

I just created a 3D slideshow with 5 or 6 hi-res photos. The photos in the flying frames of that video is even more blurr, to an extent that I can't really see my face clearly!
Quote: Hi excited.ferd -

If you have a look at this graphics card comparison, http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php - you'll see where yours fits. It's not one of the greats!

Cheers - Tony

Thanks. But the same software being installed in another notebook (ThinkPad SL510) results the same thing...

===
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 28475GB
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6670 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2042MB RAM
Page File: 1585MB used, 2500MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9553)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9553&SUBSYS_212917AA&REV_00
Display Memory: 1017 MB
Dedicated Memory: 252 MB
Shared Memory: 765 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: ThinkPad Display 1366x768
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: LEN40B0
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.973Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atidxx64,atiumdva.cap,atiumd64,atiumd6a,atitmm64
Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0678 (English)
Driver Version: 8.634.0.0
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/29/2009 21:47:52, 3105280 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
====

Is it really hardware related..?
When I tried to press "Edit Image" button, it popped up a window with error message.

Go to: