Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
All my hi-res / low-res photos appear to be blur in PD8. Is it because I'm using Trial version?
excited.ferd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2009 21:58 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Trial version of PD8 normally doesn't have the problem I described, right?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Absolutely right. Whether it's a trial version or not would make no difference.

The problem of blurred images is most often hardware related - unless the original files had a problem - because PD is using your hardware to process the images. The only time that I had any blur issues with PD, it was the machine I was using... completely. (It's gone now)

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
excited.ferd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok. I completely uninstalled cyberlink PD8 with Revo Uninstaller and also all related things in registry (via advanced scan). Then I re-download the trial version of PD8 from cyberlink website and had it installed.

It's still the same... on both notebooks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2009 04:56

excited.ferd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is there any limitation/recommendation on the resolution of photos used?

I've tried hi-res (4-7MB)/low-res (2MB) and those sample photos come with PD8. They all come out like burred.. it's like after being placed at timeline, they've been shrink in size, so when I try to preview, they're being stretched out .. that makes them burred.

An encoding limit of 50 for iPod/PSP files (follows AAC's trial guidelines)

Does the above limitation on trial version stated on cyberlink's website mean the size of all photos being dragged to timeline will be reduced to a very small size?? If that's the case, then it explains the blur thing of my photos...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2009 05:16

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am using a Toshiba laptop very similar to yours,
C2D 1.6/1.6 Vista Home Premium. Integrated graphics 945gm express.
The blurry photo issue never reared it's ugly head.

As for encoding AAC limitations, I do not think that matters.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2009 08:07

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
The quality of the preview display and the timeline display is directly related to the capability of your graphics card. Even when the highest display is selected in PD the results alter very little because the program is inhibited by your graphics.

Both your systems have low spec cards.

Take a look through the graphics cards we're all using and see the difference.

1. have a separate graphics card
2. avoid shared graphics

Processing of high resolution or rendering to a high resolution is affected by the capability of your CPU in your case. The resources required to produce and write to a disc on a lower end system can be off-set if a separation of the write process and Produce takes place. Opt to Produce a complex video first, bring back in and then write to disc or to folder (to later use a disc writing software like Power2Go).

Hi resolution still images will significantly degrade in quality when inserted into a DVD which only has a frame size of PAL 720x576 and NTSC 720x480. The alternative is to look at AVCHD/DVD and Blue-Ray or check out a different method as shown here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3522.page#20548 by Bif (Bruce), something I use.

You quoted: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7920.page Here I note the member didn't respond with further information.

Question: Are you using Shadow Edit files?
I'm wondering if you have a tech or bug error in the Trial.

I hope some of the information helps.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 24. 2009 08:14

MICHAEL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2009 22:42 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Are those pictures in your first post supposed to be what you are laying into the timeline or are they a before / after comparison or what? Just seeing if I can attempt to reproduce it. I can copy / paste my specs, or you can see them in the Compatibility List post, I say, let's conserve electrons...
excited.ferd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why is the resolution of 100% preview only 647x366 (roughly)?

How does a photo of size 1800x1200 fit into this window?

What's the resolution of the DVD burned video? PAL 720x576?

I'm new to video editing and just downloaded PD8 a day ago..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2009 11:13

[Post New]
Mr. excited

Frustrating when things do not work the way they are expected, eh? Especially when you do not get the right replies; the ones that do not help to solve your problem.

No, your problem has nothing to do with the fact that you are using Trial version. Trial is a fully operating bundle. I do not believe you have a problem with your hardware either (people are so fast to blame hardware when they do not know how to solve a problem).

Yes, I have good reason to believe that the problem lies in the altered, by PD, aspect ration of the original photos, including the alteration to the resolution.

What resolution are your original photos in (say 1600x1200px) and what video format are you saving your movie in (say HD1080i)?
Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Something is badly wrong somewhere, but I can't see it yet.

Andy -

You can't see it either! Nor can Mr Excited. Stop being so antagonistic. If you don't think the hardware might be a problem, you may be at odds with respected reviewers.

Anyway, Andy, I'll leave Mr Excited's blur issues to you, since my pathetic excuse for a response has failed to meet your exacting standards.

Tony
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, I agree with you.

Tony, can you post/email me the link to the forum idea you had? I've been a bit busy lately and didn't read it.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

excited.ferd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Having spent more time on PD8, I found that the reason for having blurred slideshow is that no matter how high resolution your original photos are, once they're dragged into timeline, their resolution will be automatically adjusted (usually reduced) to that of the video frame.

In some slideshow styles, you can customize the focus area (e.g. Cell style or Motion style). Once you re-focus the photo (usually you'll reduce the size a bit), the photo will be blurred as that area will be stretched to fill up the area. That explains why I got some very blurred slide show photos.

This can be demonstrated by the PD's Slide Show tutorial in youtube. (see attachment for screen capture)

Too bad PD8 can't take advantage of the high resolutions of original photos...

[Thumb - 12-25-2009 2-05-01 PM.jpg]
 Filename
12-25-2009 2-05-01 PM.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
246 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 25. 2009 01:11

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
The highest preview quality is 640 x 480 in PD8.

This is a current design spec for PD8 and is not changeable.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Net [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2011 14:12 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I am using PD 8 and making a photo slide-show

I have the same problem right now, I hope to insert a very long photo into a slide show and have a Magic motion on it.....

I found that the photo becoming degrade when I doing that...I have tried to export as a MPG-2 video, the photo seems better, but still not sharp

so I want to ask

1. If I upgrade my version to PD 9, will it be better?

2. Also, my ultimate output is a DVD, then what is the size of the photo is the best?? 1600x1200?? or ?

Many thanks.

P.S. I am not a English speaking person, so sorry for my poor english and I hope you all understand what I am talking about
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Net -

Your English is better than a number of English speakers I know!

One advantage of PD9 over PD8 is that the default preview screen resolution is 1920x1080, compared to PD8's 640x480... that means you don't get the same degradation that occurs with PD8.

A while back, some members were discussing the use of panorama shots in PD... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15025.page (about page 3)

Here's a little panorama comparison I made http://www.youtube.com/user/ynotfish77#p/u/11/eJCBWgkBrPg

The best way to avoid blurriness in PD8 is to crop photos to the project's AR (16:9 or 4:3) before inserting them... or overlay your photos on a high res background (not a colour board!).

If your output will be DVD, you're going to see a lot of degradation in quality. Standard DVDs don't have the ability to be serious about image quality!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2011 15:09

Net [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2011 14:12 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your advice.

I will try that suggestion for my panorama shots~

Net