Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
:^/ I had similar trouble with mine. The demo had no troubles with Iron Man, so I bought the full version. Well, while Iron Man and other titles play with no trouble, some discs never showed any video, though the audio would play. Other discs still would play some parts well, and not others. For example, some would have no video for the menus, but if I navigated past them blindly the movie would play just fine.

Well, it turned out to be the codec used for compression. Mpeg-2 would not show video, while Mpeg-4 and VC1 would work perfectly. The solution was to reduce the screen resolution and color depth. Then Mpeg-2 would work.

;^) So now I just remember to do that whenever using my laptop to share blu-rays on my buddy's standard television.

If you're getting some movies to play well, but others not at all, you might want to try that, too.
:^/ You should try elsewhere. The message board is for more knowledgeable customers to help out the less knowledgeable ones. The staff rarely visits.

;^) Instead, try contacting CyberLink via e-mail. I've found that they were very responsive to my e-mailed queries while I was pondering buying the product, and to get it running well afterward. There is a link for that here:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/technical-support.do

However, the forum is nothing to lose sleep over, so don't depend on it.
:^/ I've had similar experiences with some Blu-Rays. For me it was down to the compression algorithm used. VC1 and Mpeg 4 worked fine, but Mpeg 2 didn't.

Because some discs are wholly VC1 or Mpeg 4, they work without trouble, while some older discs are wholly Mpeg2, and wouldn't work at all. Still others are mixed, with the menus, special features and main feature in different codes to each other. In those cases, the Mpeg 2 parts didn't work, while the others would.

The solution was to reduce the display resolution to 1024 × 768 × 16. Then it would play Mpeg 2. It seems that the older Mpeg 2 algorithm uses more graphic RAM than do the other codecs, and my processor is right on the edge of what works and what doesn't.

You may not experience similar results, but it's worth a shot.

;^) Good luck, and let us know how it goes for you....
:^/ At a guess, I'd say that the newer PowerDVD9 overwrote the older codecs with newer ones, and that the newer ones weren't sufficiently backwards compatible with the old ones.

You could probably get them back by reinstalling the older PowerDVD6, if it's really that important to you, but you'll have to choose.
;^) Following suggestions from CyberLink, I dropped my Dell XPS M1210's screen resolution to 1024 × 768 × 16 bits, instead of its native 1280 × 800 × 32 bits. I also installed Direct X 10, for what that's worth. (Since I cannot remove it, I cannot test whether it's actually necessary.

Anyway, now I can watch every Blu-Ray movie that I own on my M1210, so I'm quite happy.
:^/ Hey there, everyone.

I recently tried the demo version of Power DVD 9 (Ultra), and it played Iron Man perfectly, so I went ahead and bought the full commercial version.

Well, it plays some movies just fine, but it has trouble with others. And some have no video at all. I've used PowerDVD 9's own Movie Info button to look at the discs' parameters, and I've noticed something. My discs that play video use either MPEG-4 AVC or VC1, while the two that do not work use MPEG-2.

I'll list them:

Works as expected; put the disk in, and it plays:
• (MPEG-4 AVC) Fantastic Four, Rise of the Silver Surfer
• (MPEG-4 AVC) Iron Man
• (MPEG-4 AVC) Ratatouille

Kinda works; the introduction has no video, but video comes in for the menu/movie:
• (MPEG-4 AVC) Pursuit of Happyness
• (MPEG-4 AVC) Spider-Man 3
• (VC1) Superman II, the Richard Donner Cut

Works only if we can blindly navigate the menu system to launch the movie:
• (MPEG-4 AVC) Pirates of the Caribbean, At World's End

Doesn't work; we can hear the audio, but no video comes in:
• (MPEG-2) Space Cowboys
• (MPEG-2) Stranger than Fiction

;^) As we can see, so far both of the movies that fail to ever produce any video use the MPEG-2 format, and both of the movies with MPEG-2 have failed. I'm curious what experience others have had with this. Feel free to add your own movies to the list.
Go to: