Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9 and The Happening blu-ray won't play
bURrITo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2009 09:30 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone been able to play the blu-ray movie of "The Happening" with PowerDVD 9?

I have just purchased this movie, but have not been able to play it with PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

I have only tried with Build 2029 and the previous build.

I can play any other movie just fine. It is just this movie that for some reason I cannot play. It played the previews and then locks up. Seems like it cannot load the top menu.
[Post New]
:^/ I've had similar experiences with some Blu-Rays. For me it was down to the compression algorithm used. VC1 and Mpeg 4 worked fine, but Mpeg 2 didn't.

Because some discs are wholly VC1 or Mpeg 4, they work without trouble, while some older discs are wholly Mpeg2, and wouldn't work at all. Still others are mixed, with the menus, special features and main feature in different codes to each other. In those cases, the Mpeg 2 parts didn't work, while the others would.

The solution was to reduce the display resolution to 1024 × 768 × 16. Then it would play Mpeg 2. It seems that the older Mpeg 2 algorithm uses more graphic RAM than do the other codecs, and my processor is right on the edge of what works and what doesn't.

You may not experience similar results, but it's worth a shot.

;^) Good luck, and let us know how it goes for you....
bURrITo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2009 09:30 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for posting. I had kind of given up on this as I have a ticket with Cyberlink open. I haven't gone back and tried. I actually did try to lower the resolution down, but it still does the same thing. I have a fairly new machine with a quad core cpu and 4GB of RAM and a Radeon 4550 card (nothing fancy) Seems like its the player. I have received a reply on another thread that someone was able to play this movie with PowerDVD 7, but it stopped playing after they upgraded to 8. Must be the player. It was very odd to me that this was the only movie that doesn't play. I had even gotten the disc replaced and tried renting it. Oh well, from what I hear I'm not missing much from the movie anyway. Thanks again.