Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disney Bluray won't play in Ultra version 8 or 9
Keven55 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2009 05:45 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
For 8 months I have gone backwards and forwards with technical support to try to get the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, Nightmare before Christmas, Narnia Chronicles and Wall.E to play. A few months ago a patch fixed WallE and Narnia but not the rest. These discs crash the computer during loading and lock the CDtray. Strange in so far as all my other bluray titles play just fine using version 9 patch 2029. Does anyone have a similar experience or suggestion as Tech Support just keep suggesting waiting for the latest patch. 8 months is a long time!!!
bURrITo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2009 09:30 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have been able to play Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy on blu-ray with PowerDVD 9. The first two movies played on whatever build before 2029. At Worlds End played with 2029. But I didn't try At Worlds End I didn't try with any other build. Just so happens I updated and then watched it.

I have also played Wall-E on PowerDVD 8 when I had that. I will assume it plays on 9, but I haven't tried. I have played Cars on PowerDVD 9. The only problem I had with Disney movies was National Treasure 2 with both 8 and 9, but as of the last few patches it has worked too.

Chronicles of Narnia also works for me as well. The only movie I am currently having trouble with is The Happening which is non Disney, but even though I can play what you cannot, I cannot play The Happening.
Keven55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your response. Cyberlink have asked to look at my set up again so we will see what happens this time.
[Post New]
:^/ I had similar trouble with mine. The demo had no troubles with Iron Man, so I bought the full version. Well, while Iron Man and other titles play with no trouble, some discs never showed any video, though the audio would play. Other discs still would play some parts well, and not others. For example, some would have no video for the menus, but if I navigated past them blindly the movie would play just fine.

Well, it turned out to be the codec used for compression. Mpeg-2 would not show video, while Mpeg-4 and VC1 would work perfectly. The solution was to reduce the screen resolution and color depth. Then Mpeg-2 would work.

;^) So now I just remember to do that whenever using my laptop to share blu-rays on my buddy's standard television.

If you're getting some movies to play well, but others not at all, you might want to try that, too.
Keven55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for this and sorry for delayed response. Unfortunately this does not fix the problem on my system. These discs actually crash Power DVD, lock up the disc drive and crash parts of Windows functionality so that the machine hangs during shut down requiring a manual power down and restart. Cyberlink still are at a loss. The strange thig is that Power DVD ver 7 played these particular titles just fine. What did Cyberlink do I ask myself ????
Keven55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Problem is now fixed. It was the firmware for the CD drive PLDS BD-RE DH-4B1S all the time. Dell released an update a few weeks ago which I just found and that was it.
If anyone knows how to invoice Dell for the days of trying fix this problem then please let me know.