Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Found a workaround by adding the .exe to the exclusions list :

Here's the drill :

- Double click on the Comodo icon in the taskbar to open the main window
- Click on the "Antivirus" shield
- In the main window, select "Scanner settings"
- In the window that pops up, click on the Exclusions tab
- Click on Add, select Browse
- Browse to the PDVD9 directory (c:\program files\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9)
- Click on "PowerDVD9.exe" and click on the right arrow in between the two lists to add it to the Select items list
- Click on the Apply button at the bottom
- Close the CIS window
- Crack open a cold one and enjoy.

Yeahr.
My hero ! Confirmed on my side too.

The antivirus module is to blame : I tried reinstalling the firewall and defense+ modules only, and everything runs fine. Add that to your Q&A base sometime... This could save someone a loooot of trouble.

I'm off to the Comodo forums to tell the developpers hanging around there about that problem. Would you happen to have any specific details on the crash, so I can provide them with more info ?

Thanks again for helping. I hope you get promoted !

edit : that upscaling "Truetheater HD" feature is neat. Just thought I'd share.
Thank you for taking time to consider my problems, Michael. It sure beats Dirk Heckel's messages.

I can make a capture with >Process Monitor< if that helps ?
I'll just quote the second line of the post just before yours :

Athlon 64X2 4200+

Frustration... It's a Cyberlink plugin, no ? B)
Thanks for helping !

- I can't find that v2201 update . >This page< says that build 2115 is the latest one... Maybe I am looking in the wrong place ?

Edit : Tried updating from within PDVD with the blue circle/white arrow icon on the window title bar, nothing shows up.

Edit 2 : Googled "power dvd 9 2201" and a another site with a page containing a link to the file on cyberlink.com shows up... Still nothing in this update section of Cyberlink.com itself. Wtf, guys... Seriously ?

Edit 3 : Installed patch 2201, still crashes the same way

- SR Number : DVD090918-04

- Also, my OS is in French (sorry, should have mentioned that).

Something I mentioned to that guy in tech support, but didn't mention here (it could have something to do with it, I don't know) : My PDVD9 ultra is the upgrade version from PDVD8 (not the "stand alone", if that makes any sense - I have to install PDVD8 and activate it to be able to install PDVD9).

...:-|
...some hope then ! Cheers !

Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2GB of RAM
Nvidia 8800GT 512 MB with v191.07 drivers
Creative X-Fi Platinum with latest drivers
Lite-on DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA
...all this on a spanking new Windows 7 Home Premium 32bits.

The build of PDVD9 installed is the latest to date (2115).

How I crash :

- Turn on computer, wait for desktop to come up
- Run PowerDVD9 (twice, it just doesn't show up at all the first time)
- Press CTRL+C to open the settings window
- Click on the "Video" tab
- Windows tells me that this application will now be shut down, making me a sad Michel.
...Or I can just try to play something, it crashes the same way.

I run Comodo Internet Security and Slysoft's AnyDVD, but as stated before, deactivating those on the W7 RC2 didn't do anything, and running PDVD9 without them (or anything !) even installed but PowerDVD 9 on a fresh Seven install gave me the same crash, sooooo... yeah. :-|

Hello Michael,

as I said in a previous message :

I formatted my C: drive and installed a fresh final version brought back from the store Windows 7, ran windows update... and first thing, installed PowerDVD 9. No codec pack, no nothing : Windows - Windows update - PowerDVD

I'll say it again : No codec pack, no nothing : Windows - Windows update - PowerDVD.

For the record, Windows update in Windows 7 installs the "official" Nvidia/ATI drivers all by itself...but being a rather distrustful person when it comes to automated tasks on a computer, I removed them, rebooted and installed the "whole pack" from Nvidia.com.

And, exactly as when I had them nvidia drivers installed on the RC2 of Windows Seven, I get the same have-to-run-twice-then-crash routine.

Oh hear me when I say, I am rather confident in saying that PowerDVD 9 is not compatible with Windows Seven (contrary to what's indicated on the BUY NOW IT WORKS WITH SEVEN page on the Cyberlink shop page). Known compatibility problems : Cannot read any movie without crashing.

I want my money back.
Twelve months ? Kudos, man. I have already given up myself, I'm waiting for the next useless patch.

"Support the developpers" they said...

Also, don't be sorry for the rant. The money we gave for an application which code clearly was very badly written and wasn't tested, along with the tech support telling me that the fact that it crashes isn't their problem (I don't know about your "experience" of these wonderfully commercially challenged people) give us not the right but the obligation to rant. Hell, we paid for that, too.
I don't think the problem is in the codecs.

See, I formatted my C: drive and installed a fresh final version brought back from the store Windows 7, ran windows update... and first thing, installed PowerDVD 9. No codec pack, no nothing : Windows - Windows update - PowerDVD. Guess what : same crash !

- The first time I run PDVD, nothing happens : it starts to load, then stops and quits (Task manager confirms this) without any window showing up or anything.
- So I run it a second time and the program shows up (oh joy !). Trying to read anything crashes it to hell, as well as going to the Video options tab in the Settings thing.

Ah, yes, I almost forgot : it does that EVERY TIME.

...I've set Media Player Classic to use some of the Cyberlink codecs. Everything works fine.

I just wish I had my money back, that's all. And fire Dirk, too.
^ Media Player Classic Homecinema !

Go to : Options > External filters. Add the Cyberlink DVD Navigator filter (it works better than the one built in MPC), and choose "Prefer" on the right.

Of course, you can add any of the other Cyberlink ones on the list.

Oh yeah, fun fact : I installed the retail version of 7 yesterday. GUESS WHAT DIRK ? IT STILL CRASHES ! GO CYBERLINK.

Also, even if there's no release date, this deserves to be mentioned : >Slysoft Slyplayer official thread on their forums<.
Guys, they know... and they don't give a crap... Trust me, I know :

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7574.page

I'll do that, thank you Bogdan .

...I guess it's not compatible with Windows 7 then huh ? They should stop advertising it as such, then. I mean, that's advertising lies. And lying in advertising is... bad ? Or is "illegal" the word I'm looking for...
WOW ! That Dirk guy from tech support rocks.

When I told him that saying "I have no idea why it doesn't work" would have been more honest, he emailed me the URL for the requirements page.... For Power Cinema !

You see, there's no mention of Windows 7 compability on this page. That's why he sent me this.

Problem : I BOUGHT POWER DVD, NOT POWER CINEMA.

IT IS STATED ON THE REQUIREMENTS PAGE THAT POWER DVD 9 IS WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBLE.

I guess it's not really compatible with 7 after all. Just like "customer" is compatible with "support" in Cyberlink-land.

But oddly enough, I'm okay with all that. I'll just wait for october 22 for 7 to be released, go to the store and get it, format everything, and retry. All the while, praying, of course.

All I wanted from customer support was some honesty, and well, actual support.
But all I had was :

1) Copy-pasting "make sure your drivers are up to date", "what system are you on", you know, the standard message you get when you contact support everywhere. All the answers and procedure had been done prior to contacting, and this was mentioned in the original email...

2) "Show me your task manager". Fair enough, that's standard too. I even emailed logfiles from Process Manager (from Sysinternals, Free ! Google it, it's really handy).

3) Oddly enough, when it appeared clear that Power DVD 9 *has a compatibility problem with Windows 7*, and that tech support had NO IDEA why it was crashing, I had the "OOH BUT WE DONT OFFER SUPPORT ON 7 AS ITS NOT RELEASED IN ITS FINAL VERSION YET KTHXBI".

...and you tested the compatibility on what until now ? Vista ? Blatant dishonesty and incompetence... Don't say it's compatible when it's not. And don't shut the door on the people that ACTUALLY PAY FOR THEIR SOFTWARE. They know how to advertise too, you know ?

Over and out.
I have got a reply from the tech support telling me that, as the Windows 7 I am using is only a RC1, and of course not the final version, they don't offer a support on Windows 7 !

What's the point of putting that big sign "W7 compatible" on the product page then ?

"Yeah, it's compatible with Windows Seven, but if it doesn't work, you're on your own".

Excellent customer support. Will advertise thouroughly.

Thanks for nothing !
Hello everyone !

I'm running Windows 7 RC1. And...

I upgraded PowerDVD from version 7 to 9 Ultra, without even trying version 9. I guess I should have, because it installs and activates okay, but...

Double click on the icon, and the only thing that shows up is a Windows box basically going "Power DVD 9 crashes, we're looking into it" without any splash screen, error code... A nice, clean crash.

I tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling, I tried deactivating my antivirus, deactivating AnyDVD... Nothing seems to work

I sent a message to tech support, but I figured I might as well ask in the forum, you never know .

Anyone had this issue ? Cheers !
Go to: