Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 9 Ultra and Windows 7
bleeder4 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2009 10:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I've been experiencing some problems with Power DVD 9 since upgrading to Windows 7 earlier today.

I'm using Power DVD 9 Ultra build 2201, it's not an OEM install. I purchased Power DVD about a year ago and had no problems at all with Vista.

Essentially, whenever I open up Power DVD it will freeze after about 5 seconds. It doesn't matter whether I click on anything or not, I'll just open it up and it will freeze after 5 seconds. It locks up the whole PC, keyboard is frozen, mouse is frozen, can't Ctrl Alt Del or anything - my only option is to manually hold down my PC's power button to force an unclean shutdown and then boot back up. This behaviour is 100% reproducible and happens every time I load up Power DVD 9, no other applications I have installed trigger this behaviour. It doesn't write anything to the event log either.

I've also tried the two builds prior to 2201 and have the same problem with them. All three of these builds were fine under Vista with no problems at all in a year of use.

I did a full hard drive format when I installed Windows 7, installed all the latest drivers and re-installed all my applications. Everything else is absolutely fine but Power DVD is giving me problems.

It's Windows 7 Professional and I'm using a DVI connection (both graphics card and monitor are HDCP compatible)

EDIT : As an update to this, I've just tried running Power DVD in Windows XP Mode (included with Windows 7 Professional) and can confirm it works flawlessly with that. The problem only ocurrs when using it natively in Windows 7.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 22. 2009 10:35

Zaim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2008 20:54 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi all,

I've been experiencing some problems with Power DVD 9 since upgrading to Windows 7 earlier today.

I'm using Power DVD 9 Ultra build 2201, it's not an OEM install. I purchased Power DVD about a year ago and had no problems at all with Vista.

Essentially, whenever I open up Power DVD it will freeze after about 5 seconds. It doesn't matter whether I click on anything or not, I'll just open it up and it will freeze after 5 seconds. It locks up the whole PC, keyboard is frozen, mouse is frozen, can't Ctrl Alt Del or anything - my only option is to manually hold down my PC's power button to force an unclean shutdown and then boot back up. This behaviour is 100% reproducible and happens every time I load up Power DVD 9, no other applications I have installed trigger this behaviour. It doesn't write anything to the event log either.

I've also tried the two builds prior to 2201 and have the same problem with them. All three of these builds were fine under Vista with no problems at all in a year of use.

I did a full hard drive format when I installed Windows 7, installed all the latest drivers and re-installed all my applications. Everything else is absolutely fine but Power DVD is giving me problems.

It's Windows 7 Professional and I'm using a DVI connection (both graphics card and monitor are HDCP compatible)

EDIT : As an update to this, I've just tried running Power DVD in Windows XP Mode (included with Windows 7 Professional) and can confirm it works flawlessly with that. The problem only ocurrs when using it natively in Windows 7.

I have the same problem as you. is there a fix Cyberlink?
bleeder4 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I've opened a support ticket with them and have sent them the two files they asked for. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Michel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2009 04:57 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Guys, they know... and they don't give a crap... Trust me, I know :

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7574.page

bleeder4 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Windows 7 isn't a Release Candidate anymore so they won't be able to use that excuse now.

I haven't had a response from them but I'll be sure to post back here when I do. It is annoying though because it means I can't watch any movies at the moment.
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
^ Media Player Classic Homecinema !

Go to : Options > External filters. Add the Cyberlink DVD Navigator filter (it works better than the one built in MPC), and choose "Prefer" on the right.

Of course, you can add any of the other Cyberlink ones on the list.

Oh yeah, fun fact : I installed the retail version of 7 yesterday. GUESS WHAT DIRK ? IT STILL CRASHES ! GO CYBERLINK.

Also, even if there's no release date, this deserves to be mentioned : >Slysoft Slyplayer official thread on their forums<.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2009 07:23

JEFFREY [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2009 05:11 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I had Powerdvd 8.5 that came with my Dell Studio XPS 16 I bought this May and it worked great. When I did a clean install of the retail version of Win7 I lost Powerdvd. I am in Iraq so I don't have the install disc. Not a big deal I bought the newest version yesterday. It stutters on ANY BD I run on it. Totally unplayable.
JEFFREY [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2009 05:11 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
So after some tinkering I came up with a work around for this problem: dual boot Vista/7. I am doing it now and the player works in Vista.
STEVE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2009 18:20 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Check for other codec packs that may contain Cyberlink codecs. Sharkys Win7 codecs contains a clvsd.ax file. It caused PDVD 9 Ultra to pause my PCfor about 5-10 seconds and stop file ifo's to crash and video_folder to act like they were standalone files (the VOBs would play in order) the the menus would not function. If this case, if I registered Cyberlink's clvsd.ax Power DVD returned to normal.
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't think the problem is in the codecs.

See, I formatted my C: drive and installed a fresh final version brought back from the store Windows 7, ran windows update... and first thing, installed PowerDVD 9. No codec pack, no nothing : Windows - Windows update - PowerDVD. Guess what : same crash !

- The first time I run PDVD, nothing happens : it starts to load, then stops and quits (Task manager confirms this) without any window showing up or anything.
- So I run it a second time and the program shows up (oh joy !). Trying to read anything crashes it to hell, as well as going to the Video options tab in the Settings thing.

Ah, yes, I almost forgot : it does that EVERY TIME.

...I've set Media Player Classic to use some of the Cyberlink codecs. Everything works fine.

I just wish I had my money back, that's all. And fire Dirk, too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2009 06:56

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Michel,

You have tweaked my interest on reading you have even formatted your hard drive to fix your problem. I had a problem with PD7 and now PD8, I too went down the road of reformatting, reinstalling windows with only PD7...same problem, same crash. Other people with lower powered people had no problem with my video file. I even went to the stage of completely upgrading my motherboard, cpu guess what same crash.

Upgraded to PD 8 and the original problem was fixed, but now another load of problems. Long story short, trying most of Cyberlinks solutions do not work....you will have to wait until they fix the coding inside the program before you have a solution.

Sorry for my rant but I am nearly 12 months down the road, pulling my hair out trying to fix Cyberlinks problems with PD, I wish you luck with your Cyberlink program. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Twelve months ? Kudos, man. I have already given up myself, I'm waiting for the next useless patch.

"Support the developpers" they said...

Also, don't be sorry for the rant. The money we gave for an application which code clearly was very badly written and wasn't tested, along with the tech support telling me that the fact that it crashes isn't their problem (I don't know about your "experience" of these wonderfully commercially challenged people) give us not the right but the obligation to rant. Hell, we paid for that, too.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 26. 2009 09:37

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Did you install VGA drivers from VGA vendor website?

PDVD can not playback BD with Windows inbox drivers afaik

Please also update what AV Software you are using.

BR
Michael
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Michael,

as I said in a previous message :

I formatted my C: drive and installed a fresh final version brought back from the store Windows 7, ran windows update... and first thing, installed PowerDVD 9. No codec pack, no nothing : Windows - Windows update - PowerDVD

I'll say it again : No codec pack, no nothing : Windows - Windows update - PowerDVD.

For the record, Windows update in Windows 7 installs the "official" Nvidia/ATI drivers all by itself...but being a rather distrustful person when it comes to automated tasks on a computer, I removed them, rebooted and installed the "whole pack" from Nvidia.com.

And, exactly as when I had them nvidia drivers installed on the RC2 of Windows Seven, I get the same have-to-run-twice-then-crash routine.

Oh hear me when I say, I am rather confident in saying that PowerDVD 9 is not compatible with Windows Seven (contrary to what's indicated on the BUY NOW IT WORKS WITH SEVEN page on the Cyberlink shop page). Known compatibility problems : Cannot read any movie without crashing.

I want my money back.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Michel,

I can not agree - I have several machines with W7 here and they all run quite smooth with PowerDVD 9 ULTRA.....

For me it sounds quite strange to me that you face crash while installing NV drivers - never saw it on my side....

Would be great if you could provide some more details about your system (like what VGA ...)

BR
Michael
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
...some hope then ! Cheers !

Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2GB of RAM
Nvidia 8800GT 512 MB with v191.07 drivers
Creative X-Fi Platinum with latest drivers
Lite-on DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA
...all this on a spanking new Windows 7 Home Premium 32bits.

The build of PDVD9 installed is the latest to date (2115).

How I crash :

- Turn on computer, wait for desktop to come up
- Run PowerDVD9 (twice, it just doesn't show up at all the first time)
- Press CTRL+C to open the settings window
- Click on the "Video" tab
- Windows tells me that this application will now be shut down, making me a sad Michel.
...Or I can just try to play something, it crashes the same way.

I run Comodo Internet Security and Slysoft's AnyDVD, but as stated before, deactivating those on the W7 RC2 didn't do anything, and running PDVD9 without them (or anything !) even installed but PowerDVD 9 on a fresh Seven install gave me the same crash, sooooo... yeah. :-|

[Post New]
Dear Michel,

Can you please check your PowerDVD 9 ULTRA Version - latest Version is v2201

can you please help to provide the SR Number (in the about box when click on the CyberLink logo in top left) - thanks.

only one another question - the used language of the OS?

BR
Michael
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for helping !

- I can't find that v2201 update . >This page< says that build 2115 is the latest one... Maybe I am looking in the wrong place ?

Edit : Tried updating from within PDVD with the blue circle/white arrow icon on the window title bar, nothing shows up.

Edit 2 : Googled "power dvd 9 2201" and a another site with a page containing a link to the file on cyberlink.com shows up... Still nothing in this update section of Cyberlink.com itself. Wtf, guys... Seriously ?

Edit 3 : Installed patch 2201, still crashes the same way

- SR Number : DVD090918-04

- Also, my OS is in French (sorry, should have mentioned that).

Something I mentioned to that guy in tech support, but didn't mention here (it could have something to do with it, I don't know) : My PDVD9 ultra is the upgrade version from PDVD8 (not the "stand alone", if that makes any sense - I have to install PDVD8 and activate it to be able to install PDVD9).

...:-|

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 26. 2009 16:23

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Michel,

I went down this road also with PD, it must be your machine it works on mine. You wouldn't happen to be running a new i7cpu would you?

Cyberlinks website states:- "The first consumer video editing software to be optimized for Intel Core i7 and there is even a youtube video from Cyberlink showing how well it supports i7cpu"s..........well guess what one of my problems with Powerdirector was the i7 cpu.......and here comes the good part......Cyberlinks solution Turn off 6 of the 8 cores of the i7cpu....I kid you not.

This did stop the crashing and they say they are working on a fix. I also have a problem with Powerdirector using over 2gig or memory to render a 45 meg video. Without getting too technical apparently on a 32 bit system the maximum memory any one program can use is 2 gig or it crashes......Cyberlinks solution while they work on it..... upgrade to a 64 bit system

That is a little bit of my frustration with cyberlink and the only reason I am still around is the PowerDirector forum is first class and has a group of dedicated people trying to help. Let's hope Cyberlink can bring themselves up to the same standard as their forum.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll just quote the second line of the post just before yours :

Athlon 64X2 4200+

Frustration... It's a Cyberlink plugin, no ? B)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2009 02:59