Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I upgraded to PD9 Ultra64 a while back and mostly use it to edit and produce files for YouTube, DVDs being pretty close to obsolete around here these days. Generally happy with the software and the update. So it was a quite a surprise when I authored a DVD today and found PD9 to be much, much slower than its predecessors. I figured that with the new and newly 64-bit version it would be faster, if anything. The promised "blazing speed" was my main reason for upgrading, in fact, though I haven't noticed an improvement in producing.

Instead, it took 40 minutes to author a DVD with nine avi clips none longer than 12 minutes! (Burning was typically fast.) Crickey. I do all sorts of conversions, rips, and burns with other software (Wondershare, AOA, etc.) and have never seen anything this slow, unless it's HD. Which, btw, this project is not. In the end, since burning was fine, it took 45 minutes to author and burn 90 minutes of video. If this is normal I shall weep, but at least let me know there's not something wrong. This was on build 2504, and though I'll update to the newest one now I don't see anything in the changelog to indicates performance improvements.

My machine is a few years old, but it's no sluggard. Quad-core (Q9450), GeForce 9600, 8gb RAM, SSD system drive, 18x burner, Windows 7 64-bit. More to the point, the last two versions of PD authored discs faster than this, even with 3-4 hours of video and not the 90 minutes or so I've got here. That was on the same machine, both back with Vista and with Win7. PD9 is hitting all four cores, using 75-85% of available CPU power, so it's doing something. It's just doing it slowly. Any suggestions? I'm not using a fancy template or anything, just a standard one with nine chapters.

Off-topic, but getting animated banner ads in a program I paid good money for is obnoxious.

Thanks.
Yah, me too. I posted because I have a large number of archived video in that format and I wanted to burn it to DVD. Now I've had this product for four months and it's been of very little use because of this so-called bug.

I assume this is where we're all supposed to wait until the next version and cough up more money for that, trusting that this one will work. I went through this with an Acronis product once. It simply crashed regularly, as many reported. No fix until months later the new version came out. We were supposed to spend money on a new version of a program that never worked.

If they can't fix it they should just try for a while then give us our money back.
FYI:

We wish to inform you that it is declared as bug in this software and RD is working hard to get rid of it.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience.
FYI:

We wish to inform you that it is declared as bug in this software and RD is working hard to get rid of it.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience.
I have a support ticket open and have sent them the diagnostic file and uploaded a problem sample video to work on. Nothing back yet.
PD 7, 2726. Should be the latest, though from what I can tell from scouring these forums others had similar problems quite a while ago with no resolution posted. Has anyone ever successfully worked with avi files using AC3? With what combination of codecs? I tried uninstalling the big packs and using only the latest vanilla Xvid and A3C with the same result.
System tray, where, depending on which codec pack you have installed, it often puts an icon there to show it's in use. DivX, Xvid, ffdshow, etc. ffdshow, when right-clicked on its icon in the system tray, shows which codecs it's using at the time.

Out of curiosity I tried the ridiculous step of extracting the audio from one of these clips in PD7, which created a huge wav file in the library. I dropped that into the voice track and it STILL won't play! (Again, plays in the library as a clip, but not on the timeline or preview.) Just to test, I made a DVD from another (non-AC3 audio) video I have and it plays fine, both in the timeline and the DVD preview.

Having uninstalled and installed various codec packs over the last five hours my conclusion is that PD7 doesn't work with avi files using AC3 audio. It can play them in the library but not on the timeline or anywhere else. Very frustrating since I have 80 hours of video I produced in that format and expected to be able to edit and burn them with PD7.

All the clips show identical audio properties in both the library and the timeline, so nothing is disappearing or changing in the move. It just won't play or encode them.
BUMP. Same problem here. Works in media library, but AC3 sound disappears in timeline and preview. Has this ever been fixed? PD7 simply doesn't work with AC3?
More info. When I click on a clip in the media clip area, there are two ffdshow items in the tray. One shows Video Renderer, Audio Renderer, Cyberlink Video Regulator, AC3Filter, ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Recorder.

The other tray item shows just the Video Renderer and the ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Recorder.

When I click on 'movie' or go to any movie or DVD preview in Powerdirector, the first tray item with the audio and other filters disappears, leaving only the second.
Going crazy with codecs? I have some home movies I encoded into Xvid and AC3 last year. I want to burn them onto DVDs for my parents. (God forbid they watch video on their computers.) Everything loads into Powerdirector fine. All of the clips import fine and play fine. But when I switch from "clip" to "movie" in the preview, preview in the "create" module, or burn a final DVD, the audio disappears. The music clip I put into the menu plays.

When I use the movie preview the standalone AC3 app shows that the stream is playing on my PC, but total silence from the speakers and silence in encoding. I have ffdshow installed and the CCCP (codec pack). Never this sort of trouble before, but this is the first time I've tried to use Powerdirector with clips using AC3 audio. I've uninstalled and reinstalled codecs, etc. with no change. Powerdirector isn't recognizing the AC3 stream.

Saludos, Mig (aka Buster Keaton)
Powerdirector 7 on Vista Ultimate 32.

Little bug apparently added in 2726 update. I have two identical drives, (Samsung SH-S203N), F and G. I went to burn a DVD and in the dialog drop-down changed it to G. Now it can't be changed back, even after restarting PD7 or rebooting. The drive options button opens the dialog and the drive selection dropdown is still there and still works, but after changing to F and clicking ok it's still G. So I can't burn to my F drive anymore. Annoying. I changed regularly before, and while not 100% sure this started with 2726, it's fairly recent on my machine.

Separately, this update doesn't seem to have done anything for the regular burning crashes and errors I have experienced with PD7 along with so many others in these forums. About 1/3 of burns result in drive paging errors (resulting in a000000a in PD7) or full program crashes (PDR.exe faulting kernel32.dll). Pretty bad. DVDs are cheap but my time isn't and these failures usually take 5-10 minutes each.
Go to: