Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AC3 playback in clips but not in movie or preview or final DVD
migstradamus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2009 19:15 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Going crazy with codecs? I have some home movies I encoded into Xvid and AC3 last year. I want to burn them onto DVDs for my parents. (God forbid they watch video on their computers.) Everything loads into Powerdirector fine. All of the clips import fine and play fine. But when I switch from "clip" to "movie" in the preview, preview in the "create" module, or burn a final DVD, the audio disappears. The music clip I put into the menu plays.

When I use the movie preview the standalone AC3 app shows that the stream is playing on my PC, but total silence from the speakers and silence in encoding. I have ffdshow installed and the CCCP (codec pack). Never this sort of trouble before, but this is the first time I've tried to use Powerdirector with clips using AC3 audio. I've uninstalled and reinstalled codecs, etc. with no change. Powerdirector isn't recognizing the AC3 stream.

Saludos, Mig (aka Buster Keaton)
migstradamus [Avatar]
[Post New]
More info. When I click on a clip in the media clip area, there are two ffdshow items in the tray. One shows Video Renderer, Audio Renderer, Cyberlink Video Regulator, AC3Filter, ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Recorder.

The other tray item shows just the Video Renderer and the ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Recorder.

When I click on 'movie' or go to any movie or DVD preview in Powerdirector, the first tray item with the audio and other filters disappears, leaving only the second.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Gidday Mig -

What "tray" are you talking about?

Cheers -

Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
migstradamus [Avatar]
[Post New]
System tray, where, depending on which codec pack you have installed, it often puts an icon there to show it's in use. DivX, Xvid, ffdshow, etc. ffdshow, when right-clicked on its icon in the system tray, shows which codecs it's using at the time.

Out of curiosity I tried the ridiculous step of extracting the audio from one of these clips in PD7, which created a huge wav file in the library. I dropped that into the voice track and it STILL won't play! (Again, plays in the library as a clip, but not on the timeline or preview.) Just to test, I made a DVD from another (non-AC3 audio) video I have and it plays fine, both in the timeline and the DVD preview.

Having uninstalled and installed various codec packs over the last five hours my conclusion is that PD7 doesn't work with avi files using AC3 audio. It can play them in the library but not on the timeline or anywhere else. Very frustrating since I have 80 hours of video I produced in that format and expected to be able to edit and burn them with PD7.

All the clips show identical audio properties in both the library and the timeline, so nothing is disappearing or changing in the move. It just won't play or encode them.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mig,

Which version of PD are you using?

Click on the Powerdirector title at the top right.

or (for the older members) Directors Chair>Help>About.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
migstradamus [Avatar]
[Post New]
PD 7, 2726. Should be the latest, though from what I can tell from scouring these forums others had similar problems quite a while ago with no resolution posted. Has anyone ever successfully worked with avi files using AC3? With what combination of codecs? I tried uninstalling the big packs and using only the latest vanilla Xvid and A3C with the same result.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mig,

You could try patch 3017 - I think its on :-

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

I'll try and find out if any solution was found for the earlier posts.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Mig,

2 things to note :-

There have been issues with .avi files. Given that avi is a container format, the exact implementation can be variable and PD sometimes finds it difficult to work with some .avis. This is particularly true with some screen capture, 'non-standard' aspect ratio clips.

I also think that the xvid format causes an issue but I can't find the details so it might be from conversations which I will try to clarify with others.

In the meantime, it might be useful to uninstall and re-install PD. PD is a program that seems to benefit from being 'reset' from time to time. Do a search to find the detailed instructions.

In general terms, if you do that, also defrag after installation. I find that PD can install files all over and a defrag is worthwhile.

Cheers
Confucius
migstradamus [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI:

We wish to inform you that it is declared as bug in this software and RD is working hard to get rid of it.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience.