Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
After updating 8 Ultra to 2705, I thought it was working, but then I realized that most of my blus would freeze at some point, usually prior to the main menu (dvds worked fine). After uninstalling the program completely and reinstalling patch 2217, I began getting the disc in drive has an invalid format error. This would aways occur after PDVD tried to force me to update to the latest version even though I said no.

For all those of you who had trouble reverting to 2217, here's what worked for me:

1) uninstall PowerDVD and reboot

2) After installing your original, unpatched powerdvd, try to play a blu ray . Ideally this would be an old disc that works even with the unpatched powerdvd, but I used a newer one that pdvd couldn't load the main menu on. It still helped initialize the system.

3) After doing that, when I applied the 2217 patch, started pdvd and tried to play a disc, I said "No" to the auto-update prompt and blu ray playback was WORKING again.

Hope this helps somebody. I know I'm not touching any futher updates at this point.

2217 patch for those who need it:

http://update.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/powerdvd/8/CyberLink.2217aU_TaRe38_DVD081201-06.exe

My system: Vista Ultimate x64, two optical drives. Drive E is a dvd burner, drive F is the blu drive. This sort of system seems to confuse pdvd the worst (64-bit and having two drives, it goes nuts with updates).

2521 took away blu ray playback and has many other problems reported on this forum, basically all of which I experienced. So I reverted to 2217a until 2705 came out. Being a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and tried it. So far it is working fine for me.

No patch version of PDVD8 seems to be able to play the Death Race blu ray properly for me; it freezes after you select the version of the film you want in the initial menu. Plays fine in WinDVD 9, of course. I often have this problem with PowerDVD where it won't play some blu rays. If I didn't like PDVD's interface so much better, I would have given up on it a long time ago and used WinDVD exclusively. It has always played anything I threw at it.

I am also running Vista SP1 x64. Seems to be the OS that PDVD has the most problems with overall.

Not running AnyDVD or Comodo; just AVG 8.5.285.

2217 patch can still be obtained at this link:

http://update.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/powerdvd/8/CyberLink.2217aU_TaRe38_DVD081201-06.exe

Hope they fix this problem soon.
Go to: