Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

I didn't imply any render from the media library, just a snapshot from the file in the media library.

The UHD preview setting will not work with source content resolution higher than UHD, however in such cases, a snapshot from the media library will still provide source content resolution. Important as one can unofficially produce to higher resolutions with mostly success.

Additionally, the preview quality setting is not available if you don't have content on track 1, in such cases you always have to go through the inconvenience of adding content to adjust preview and then remove.

Jeff

Yeah that was a typo, I meant snapshot from media library

Those are not my findings at all. 6 months ago it was shown that 4k uhd true 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution snapshots can be achieved in PD20/365 timeline by temporarily selecting the Ultra HD Resolution Preview Quality.This is not an issue at all using my pc with Intel graphics at the moment.

I searched for a 4K/8K video resolution test chart for modern cameras. PDF image resolution charts are available. This is the ISO_12233-reschart.pdf found on the internet. Extracted the image. It is a 4724 x 2593 pixels resolution png. Believe that this is the chart used by Imaging-Resource years ago for testing up to 4K cameras.

Placed the test chart on the latest PD365/21 timeline. Took Snapshots at High(720 x 480). HD(1280 x 720). Full HD(1920 x 1080), and Ultra HD(3840 x 2160) Preview Quality settings.

See the screenshots. It looks like that Freeze Frame can be used but is not tested here and is not necessary at all. Shadow files are not enabled and/or tested. Found that setting the preview quality from High through Full HD resolution produced the 1920 x 1080 default image acknowledged by CyberLink. The PD365/21 3840 x 2160 screenshot shows 2x more horizontal details and 2x more vertical details than the default resolution snapshots for the other resolutions on my pc.

Interesting. I tried what you suggested and still got the same low quality snapshot, even with UHD resolution preview selected. Then I tried rendering the preview and lo and behold, the snapshot is now in proper UHD. I don't know if maybe the behaviour is hardware dependent? But you said you were using Intel graphics as am I (i7-1165G7 with Intel Iris Xe graphics). Oh well, now we have at least 3 different methods of getting the UHD snapshot:

• The awkward "render as a sequence of JPGs" method that I stumbled upon

• Render from media library as suggested by Jeff

• UHD preview mode as suggested by tomasc

Thanks everyone for your help. I've only been using PD for a few months and I learn something new every time I use it.

Probably easier to simply take the snapshot from the file in the Media Library for as source quality vs producing to an Image Sequence.

Jeff

Thanks for that suggestion - it is indeed easier. I'd been taking a snapshot of a video in the timeline but if you play a 4k video from the media library and use the snapshot button you do indeed get a full resolution snapshot that's not upscaled.

The quality isn't quite as good - noticeably more compression artefacts when you zoom in and the JPG file size is 600kB rather than 2.5MB, but the quality difference is fairly subtle.

The other limitation of course is that you can only use the media library method to get a snapshot of the original source video, not the edited multi-track video if that's what you're after.

Good tip though, thanks.
In the latest Power Director 365 (at time of writing - November 2022), this is still an issue - and the FREEZE FRAME does NOT solve it. Yes, for a 4k resolution video it will insert a 4k resolution still, but it's just an upscaled 1920x1080 picture, not a genuine 3840x1080 freeze frame. Marginally less compression noise than the "Snapshot" but only just. Way worse than a real freeze frame (as viewed by playing the source video on a 4k monitor and pausing it).

----- Solution -----
Happily, there is a solution. Go to the Produce page, and select file format "Image". Under Profile name/Quality, select 3840x2160. Under Image Type, select Image Sequence JPG. Then hit Start. Be prepared for A LOT of JPG files in your "Export to" directory. They will be proper 4k resolution stills from the video.

If your project is more than few seconds long, take these steps:

- save your project
- save again with a temporary name, to avoid accidentally ruining your project
- split all the tracks just before and just after the bit you want a still of
- Ctrl-delete everything before and everything after the bit you want a still of
- Produce at a sequence of JPGs as above.

Picture shows small closeups of the same frame obtained by Snapshot, Freeze frame and Produce sequence of JPG methods.
I closed closed PowerDirector (latest version 20), found the motion tracker database file, deleted it, opened Power Director, reloaded the project... motion tracker is still there on the affected clip.
Removed the clip from the timeline, reimported it - motion tracker still there.
But this was just one clip of 3 from the same source file, so next I removed all clips that were sourced from the same file, saved the project again, closed PowerDirector, checked to make sure the MotionTracker.db file hadn't been resurrected (it hadn't), opened PowerDirector, reimported the clip - and the motion tracker is still there.
So, clearly this motion tracker is hiding somewhere.
Now I have an older version of the project file from before when I added the motion tracker, so I load that project. Now the motion tracker is not visible on the afftected clip.

*** UPDATE ***
I've found the other post about motion trackers mentioned above by Optodata. The fix is laughably simple - but not intuitive! The motion tracker tool actually adds new video overlay tracks onto the timeline, but you need to scroll down in the timeline window below the affected clip to see them. Then you can easily delete them
Go to: