Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm pretty ignorant about various DVD file formats. I produced a couple of DVD's using PowerDirector6, using the "default" .MPEG2 format. They worked great when I previewed them after creating my menu page, so I burned them to DVD's. They won't play back on my computer. The menu page comes up, but I can't select any of the chapters, and just clicking on the "play" button" doesn't do any good, either. (I tried to play them on PowerDVD; it seems they should at least be compatible with a play-back program made by the same company?!?)

The one I tried on a friend's DVD player attached to their TV worked; why won't it work on my computer?

Did I produce them in the wrong format? As I said above, I'm totally in the dark about all the format options I was given in Step 2 of the "Produce" mode: .AVI, .MPEG1, .MPEG2, .DivX, Portable.MPEG4, and AVC.MPEG4. I've tried looking at the help files, but there are so many terms there that I don't understand that they (the help files) were not very helpful!

As a general rule, I have no problems with computer technology, and am often able to help others "bail out"; it's just this DVD stuff that has me totally stumped. (We don't own a DVD player, other than the ones on our computers, and rarely watch any kind of DVD's.

What do I do? Where do I go to find answers? We have an extremely slow dial-up Internet connection (26400bps max, usually slower) so trying to do any Internet-based research is frustratingly slow.

I would really appreciate any help someone out there with more knowledge along these lines could give me!

Hi Robert!

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my question! I'm still a little confused, though.

The Home version of MS Office 2007 that I recently purchased states specifically that it is for non-commercial use only -- and I got it for much less than the commercial version. It seems to me like PowerDirector6 is the same type of situation -- a cheaper version for personal use, as individuals frequently don't have the same available capitol that a business would have.

Kathy
I am working on adding chapters to some reading tutorial VHS videos I've transferred to DVD's for the friend who developed the program to begin with. He would like to be able to sell the finshed product.

Somewhere in the fine print of the User Agreement, I remember reading that DVD's produced with PowerDirector6 were to be for personal use only, and not to be sold for profit.

I sent Cyberlink a question about this July 28, 2008. They answered on July 31, saying they would "look into it" and get back with me. I haven't heard another word from them, and there is no further response posted to my question.

It is a waste of my time to do further work on this project if the DVD's can't be sold, and, as a Christian, I cannot pass them on to be sold if the User Agreement says the program is for personal, non-commercial use only.

I finally found a phone number on their website to call. Since neither of the two options their automatic answering service gave me fit my situation, I pressed "0" for additional service. I was told my call was being transferred -- and then their system disconnected the call. Twice.

Does anyone out there know how I can find out about this?

Thanks!

Kathy
Go to: