Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Resale of DVD's produced with PowerDirector 6
Kathy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 16:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am working on adding chapters to some reading tutorial VHS videos I've transferred to DVD's for the friend who developed the program to begin with. He would like to be able to sell the finshed product.

Somewhere in the fine print of the User Agreement, I remember reading that DVD's produced with PowerDirector6 were to be for personal use only, and not to be sold for profit.

I sent Cyberlink a question about this July 28, 2008. They answered on July 31, saying they would "look into it" and get back with me. I haven't heard another word from them, and there is no further response posted to my question.

It is a waste of my time to do further work on this project if the DVD's can't be sold, and, as a Christian, I cannot pass them on to be sold if the User Agreement says the program is for personal, non-commercial use only.

I finally found a phone number on their website to call. Since neither of the two options their automatic answering service gave me fit my situation, I pressed "0" for additional service. I was told my call was being transferred -- and then their system disconnected the call. Twice.

Does anyone out there know how I can find out about this?

Thanks!

Kathy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2008 17:07

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kathy,

What you produce with PowerDirector 6 is your property, to do with as you like, Nobody can tell you what you can or cannot do with a disc created by you. You have purchased PD6 to create DVDs for your own personal use or for use in a business, like all other software on the market today, if companies tried to impose limitations as to the use of a medium created with their product, they would soon be out of business.
Don't get confused with the User Agreement, that basically tells you your limitations with the program and its components, not what you have created with the program

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Kathy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 16:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert!

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my question! I'm still a little confused, though.

The Home version of MS Office 2007 that I recently purchased states specifically that it is for non-commercial use only -- and I got it for much less than the commercial version. It seems to me like PowerDirector6 is the same type of situation -- a cheaper version for personal use, as individuals frequently don't have the same available capitol that a business would have.

Kathy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Robert is right. Please use PowerDirector to create your DVD's.

Dafydd
Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2008 16:06 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my question! I'm still a little confused, though.

The Home version of MS Office 2007 that I recently purchased states specifically that it is for non-commercial use only -- and I got it for much less than the commercial version.

Kathy,

I noticed something similar when I bought my version of Office 2003 on eBay. The cardboard retail box was labeled "Home and Student", but the plastic disk box was labeled "Standard Edition 2003". When I went through the registration procedure, there were several options for specifying the class of usage (Student, Home, Corporate, etc.). I chose "Home Business" and haven't had any problem. To my understanding, there are some extra programs in the full-up version, including a database manager.

Jeff