Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi bigdog27

I will confine my answer to your core issue "using smart patch to remove person from photo"

Open your photo in Photodirector. I am using version 9 and I am not sure how some of version 9 functions will relate to version 5

Click on edit tab

On the left hand side of the screen there are different categories

The one you require is "object removal"

Click on smart patch

Select the + brush and set size required

Draw the brush over the object in the photo to select it

Click on next

Place the cursor inside the selection, it will change to a hand with closed fingers

Move the selection around the photo until you get a match between the area of the photo that remains and the selection

Click apply

If you are not happy with the selection after you click apply click on clear at the end of the screen or control/command z to undo

If you have a large area you need removed or changed do it in small selectios at a time

Second method

Click on content aware removal

Select +brush and set size

Make a selection over the object in the photo you wish to remove

Click on apply

Photodirector will then process the removal

The lenght of time it takes depends on your computers processing speed and the size of the selection

I would respectfully suggest that you visit youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photodirector+tutorial

where you will find lots of video tutorials placed there by very helpful users

Cyberlink also have video tutorials

Also download Cyberlinks PDF instruction book for Photodirector

I hope one or both of the above methods will help you in your project

Regards

Sean
My apologises to Pauloss and anyone else reading my post for not doing enough research before putting pen to paper. There is of course a way to draw a straight line in Photodirector. It is the same way one can do it in Photoshop.

Open photo

Select layers

Duplicate photo

Select pen tool, select pencil, airbrush, or brush

Set tool to size, opacity, and colour

Click once in the photo where you want the line to start

Move the tool along the photo where you want the line to end

Hold down the shift key, click once with mouse

You will now have a straight line

If you need to add a rounded corner, you can start off with a straight line and shape it with the eraser tool

I would suggest you start off using white as your colour, it is easier to see, you can then select all the white lines using the magic selection tool, set this tool for size and tolerance, then fill with your preferred colour

Regards

Sean
Quote Are you trying to remove the line or draw it?

Could you please post the original photo/image with a clear description of what you'd like to do?

PIX

Either option. Erase or add. I just need to make the black line on the edge of the overlapped image to be straight. It is the black next to the blue.

I have attached the image. You will see the edges of the image are not smooth. And I need a we to make them straight and smooth.

Thank you

Hi Pauloss

There are two quick ways to achieve what you are looking to do. They are both what would be called "workarounds" and are a little bit fiddly, but will do the job for you from within Photodirector

Method one

You can use any photo in your library for this , remember it is only a copy and if you save it with a different name and/or location your original will not be effected

With your photo opened click on layers

In the layers module duplicate photo

Select the fill tool, select the colour use wish to fill with

Click on the photo with the fill tool, the photo will fill with your desired colour

Click on the pick and move tool, this tool will allow you to crop and size your filled layer

Do not crop the line to narrow at the beginning, if the line is to narrow its makes it harder to resize it

You can set the width when you have set the line to the required length

Duplicate your photo layer again

When you have sized and cropped your filled layer to your satisfaction move it into position

You can use the distort transformation tool to help place the line

Duplicate the sized and cropped filled layer as many times as you need to achieve the effect you are looking for

Save the finished photo using a different file name from the original to your preferred location

Method two

Open a photo

Click layers

Duplicate photo

Add empty layer

Fill empty layer with desired colour

Click on the pick and move tool, this tool will allow you to crop and size your filled layer

If all of the lines are going to be the same size you need only crop and size once all of the other ones will be duplicates of the first one

If you need to manipulate the lines use one or other of the transform mode tools

Save or export finished photo always remembering the prime rule "do not overwrite the original photo file or it will be lost"

Regards

Sean
Quote As the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat, the same is true with Photodirector. The ways that tomasc , and Pix have suggested are ways to achieve what you want to achieve as is your own suggestion. There are other ways. I will offer two.

Hello SeanF,

That's an excellent set of instructions

PIX

Thank you Pix that is indeed a compliment coming from one such as yourself, who I have learned a lot from

Regards

Sean
Quote Hello iTony,

Tomas is quite correct. Once the background is removed it becomes transparent.

PhD has no ability to generate a simple white background, but you can import one to assemble your image.

When you save your edited photo (with background removed) it will be available in Photo Composer, where you can assemble your final image.

Here is an image guide showing the basic steps.

PIX

Thanks guys... just how to get a white base, take a picture of a white piece of paper/board, and import the image?

Hi iTony

As the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat, the same is true with Photodirector. The ways that tomasc , and Pix have suggested are ways to achieve what you want to achieve as is your own suggestion. There are other ways. I will offer two.

Import your photo

Click layers

Duplicate layer

Add empty layer

With empty layer selected, select rectangular shape tool. Make sure the colour selected is white. Draw the tool over the empty layer, you now have a white layer.

Place the white layer below the duplicate photo layer, the white will show in place of removed background.

Second suggestion

Open your search engine, I use Google

Type in white hd photo background hit enter

A list of web sites will open, you can use any of these to source your white background.

I prefer to click on the images tab, this will open up a large database of screenshots

If you hover your cursor over the screenshot it will give you information about size etc etc

When you have selected the one you want, right click on the image select "save picture as"

Give the file an appropriate name e.g. white background 16x9 or whatever size you have selected

Save to your preferred location

The white background is now available to use in Photodirector

I hope you will find one of these ways useful. I find that using Google you can access a vast supply of photo backgrounds.

Regards

Sean
You are welcome Keith, glad to be of help. I was just re-reading your post and your problem was slightly different to the photo that I used when describing the work around, in that you have a persons head near the top of the photo, mine was the same all the way across. It would still be possible to get a decent result but you would have to split the selection into three sections. One on either side of the head and one immediately above the head. You would zoom into the part of the photo above the head to get a good selection then move the selection around the photo until you get a good match. There are a couple of other ways to get a result, I will play around with a photo similar to yours and see how I get on. Enjoy the baby while you can they grow up so fast.

Regards

Sean
Hi Keefy

I confess to not having the same experience as PIX and some of the other contibutors to the forum, but here's my solution for what it is worth. I understand that it might be a bit late in replying and you have moved on to other photos, but this fix might be helpful to other users.

Resize your photo to 16:9. if not already that size.

click on layers

duplicate photo

draw rectangle shape with white colour selected over duplicate photo

merge layers

click on edit. You will be asked if you want to save say yes, the white background will then be placed in library

Alternatively you can click on save to and save it to a preferred location

click on the white background photo in the library, and then click on layers

then add the original photo that you want to edit

click on the move tool, I am using V9 and this tool is up in the top right

move the photo down to suit your requirements

merge layers

click edit, you will be asked if you want to save , click yes

in the edit module , select the smart patch tool

size the brush to your requirements

draw the brush across the white section of the photo, include a small portion of the original photo

click next

move your mouse into the selection, it will turn into a left facing hand

move the selection into the photo, move it up or down until you get a good match

be careful not to move the selection either left or right or you will have a blank area, this is not really a problem because you can select the blank area and redo

I have sent this with the assumption that you are experienced in using Photodirector

if you would like a more detailed explanation with screenshots I would be only to happy to provide

Regards

Sean
Quote Hi fellow forum members

i thought I would share my experience with newblue support recently. I was having trouble activating my newblue plugins in Powerdirector 15 ultimate. I contacted newblue support and the very helpful and efficient Jaime helped me sort everything out.

Regards

sean.

Hello, SeanF.

So in the interest of helpfulness, can you please help me enable Newblue titler 1.5 in PD 15 because my old titles from PD 14 are no longer working, and all I can get is a red X and Newblue watermark.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

Hi Wreckage

Unfortunately I am only a PD15 user I do not have the experience to help you i'm afraid. If you contact Newblue support they will help you pronto.

Regards

Sean

Cheers.
Hi fellow forum members

i thought I would share my experience with newblue support recently. I was having trouble activating my newblue plugins in Powerdirector 15 ultimate. I contacted newblue support and the very helpful and efficient Jaime helped me sort everything out.

Regards

sean.
I contacted Cyberlink support and with their help my problem is now solved so thank you Cyberlink support. The procedures that they advised me to carry out was

1. Update colordirector 4, They provided a link to the Cyberlink update page.

2. Update my video driver, they very kindly provided a link to the Nvidia web page.

I am not sure which one solved the problem because I carried out both updates together.

Thank you Pix for your help also.
Hi Pix
I done as you suggested and uninstalled and reinstalled colordirector. Same result I'm afraid when I import the same video into the program. I have sent a tech support request to Cyberlink and am awaiting a reply. I will let you know what solution they come up with.
Regards
Sean.
Hi
Just thought that I would post an update in the hope that it might help other forum users. After many trials and tribulations including a crashed HDD I finally got the effects room working in powerdirector 14 without crashing. I simply done a clean install of windows 8.1 reinstalled all of my software and now everything works ok. Thanks to optpdata and the support staff at Cyberlink for all their help.
Regards
Sean.
Hi Pix

Thank you again for taking the time to help. I have attached the mediainfo file although the site I downloaded it from tried to place adware on my computer luckily I have malwarebytes to stop that sort of thing. I tried the three files in all of the same scenarios that I used with my own file and the results were the same. I have attached two of the screenshots. I also went through the same procedures with powerdirector 13 and the results were the same. I have just attached two of the screenshots because of the three file limit. As I said previously to optodata in the powerdirector forum I do enjoy the challenge of solving problems but I'm afraid this one has me stumped.

Regards

Sean.
Hi Pix

Thank you for your reply. The answer to your question is yes I did the scene detection within colordirector 4. I also imported a single scene from within powerdirector 14, I also imported the video file as a single file from within powerdirector 14. I also used colordirector 4 as a standalone and imported the video file and detected the scenes from within the programme. I have attached screenshots of the various results for what they are worth. My two video cards both have the most up to date drivers. I have a programme that alerts me to out of date drivers so all of my drivers are up to date. Not sure where to go from here perhaps cyberlink support might the best route.

Regards

Sean.
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an issue for the forum or Cyberlink support. I am hoping that one of the members has has the same problem and is able to offer a remedy. I have colordirector 4 as part of Director suite 4. I went to use it today from within powerdirector 14 and all I got was black scenes, no content. Although when I was detecting scenes there was content in the small windows but not when imported into timeline. I have attached a screenshot of what I am seeing. Regards, Sean.
Thank you for your very good advice. I will do what you suggest as soon as I am at my computer. I did think about installing a previous version and I did in fact have a Windows 7 disc in the DVD player (my other versions I have donated) with the intention of installing it on the second installed hard drive on the laptop but it would have meant the loss of over a hundred gigabytes on old VHS tapes so l put that idea on hold for the mo.
Hi optpdata
Thank you again for your time. I bow to your superior knowledge with regard to switching the GPU's. The thirty day expired date was in reference to rolling back windows 10 to windows 8.1 you can only carry out a roll back within thirty days of installation. My thinking was that maybe the contents essentials pack would work with the windows 8.1 drivers. What I have done for the moment is that I have installed everything for power director 14 with the exception of the contents essentials pack, and everything is working ok. If I need an effect I will download one from directorzone. I have installed everything for powerdirector 13 and it is working fine. My problem I guess is that I don't like anything get the better of me and I love problem solving particularly when it involves my computer.
Hi optodata
I did as you suggested and un-installed the NVidia driver. It was detected when I rebooted with the latest drivers. (screenshot attached) I have the latest Intel drivers installed also, (screenshot attached) With the Nvidia control panel I instructed the system to select in turn the Nvidia driver only and then the Intel driver only. Each time I opened powerdirector 14 and opened the particles room. Each time the software crashed. I also ran the windows 10 compatible assistant. It did not indicate any compatibility issues, but it gave me a list of programmes including powerdirector and intel. I ran the powerdirector programme and it told me that changes had been made. When I ran the Intel programme it brought me to their webpage and I ran their auto detect option and downloaded and installed all of the latest drivers. The last thing that I tried to do was to roll back to windows 8.1 unfortunately the thirty day period for this had elapsed. I have been in touch with Cyberlink support and received a request for information that was the last I have heard from so far. It's beginning to look like I will be requesting a refund for powerdirector 14 and returning to using version 13.
I am as we speak re-installing powerdirector 13. The method that I have used is everytime I install a component, i.e. powerdirector, contents pack essential, contents pack premium I run the software and open up the particles room, and so far there has been no problem. In any event I will do as you suggest and I will let you know the results.
Hi optodata

Thank you for your reply. I have read all of your posts and find them very informative. I have attached a screenshot of the device manager, as you can see from that it lists the gpu's. The Intel 3000 for which I downloaded the latest drivers for, and you are correct in your asserttion that about Intel the latest drivers that I could find on their webpage was for windows 8. In any event the installation of the Intel drivers made no difference powerdirector is still crashing when I open the particles room. Would I be right in assuming that my set up with the older Intel drivers in unsuitable for powerdirector 14, although I never had a problem with powerdirector 13?
Go to: