Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have my main Photos folder on Drive D containing about 7000 images.

What is the best way to occasionally back up all those images to a separate drive - in my case, the F drive?

Can this easily be done in bulk with the Photo Director app? Or only by selecting some number of pictures and "save to?"

I have a backup app (Backupper) that saves entire folders (my entire folder of 7,000 images) at one go. But the backed up folder on my F drive appears to be proprietary. It does not contain files accessible via any other program, including Photo Director.

So what is the best way of backing up either our current work or an entire folder of our photos?

Is there a way to save to two places at once, into our regular folder, e.g. on my D drive, AND at the same time to my chosen backup drive F?
Quote Hello again Jerry,

My apologies for the delay in responding, but it took a little investigating.

Firstly, you're not missing any setting that allows you to see "advanced" EXIF data. The data displayed is the data PhD is equipped to read & display from an image. WYSIWYG laughing

Secondly, after checking a number of photo organiser/viewer/editing applications, you wouldn't conclude that displaying the 35mm equivalent focal length is standard practice.

I tested sample photos from Nikon Coolpix P950, Fuji Finepix HS50EXR & a number of other cameras (both JPG & RAW) in various applications at my disposal & some dedicated EXIF viewer apps.

It's certainly true that Picasa3 (not developed since 2016) displays the 35mm equivalent, as does EXIFtool & JPEG Snoop.

Aside from PhD, other photos apps I checked do not display the 35mmEQ: Adobe LightRoom (which some would regard as the industry standard), ON1 Photo RAW, Affinity Photo, Zoner Photo Studio.

Oddly, FastStone Image Viewer (freeware) displays 35mmEQ for the Nikon P950, but not for the Fuji HS50EXR.

PIX

Thank you. 35mm equiv. is helpful for the many of us with smaller sensor cameras. I know that Elements 9 and newer versions show it.

But it is only a "nice to have" non-essential.
Is there a way to mass hide or delete duplicate images with identical file numbers? Or do we need to manually go through thousands of images to delete duplicates one by one?
I understand that if a New Project is wanted, we select File:New Project, name the project, close PD12, select the New Project, and open it.

Consequently if any Searches are performed for tags, people, or image criteria, such search will be limited to the single Project that is currently opened within PD12. In other words, each Project must be searched independently after closing and opening PD12 to the next project to be searched.

Do I understand that correctly?

Is there any way from within the PD12 program to search across Projects?
Quote For testing & checking purposes, could you please provide details of the camera models/lenses you're using that display 35mm equivalent in the EXIF data (of other software)?

PIX

I'm using a Nikon Coolpix P950, a Fuji Finepix HS50EXR and a Samsung Galaxy S9+. All fixed lens, zoom.

I've attached screenshots of the EXIF files from Picasa 3 from my Fuji and Nikon cameras. The Photoshop Elements programs have a similar result.

The PD 12 EXIF display is considerably abbreviated compared to other apps. That's why I thought I might have missed the "Show All" button somewhere.
Is there a way to get the EXIF info window to display "35mm equivalent focal length" in addition to the standard focal length?

Most other organizers and editors do that. I hope I just haven't found the right setting in PD12.
Quote Thanks for the DxDiag results.

It does look like you're up against your system's ability when trying to process thousands of images, and I honestly don't think it's going to matter a whole lot where your various files are located.

I say that because the CPU for your HP system is an older and fairly slow AMD chip. To see what I mean, the Passmark score for this CPU is barely over 3k, and for video/photo editing the forum's consensus is at least 10k, and ideally above 20k for heavier workloads.

The low performance numbers mean that your CPU is going to be working constantly just to manage the user interface and do some image processing, and whenever it has to sift through thousands of images it's going to take some noticeable amount of time to finish before it can move on to the next editing task.

If it's at all possible, I think you should look into getting a new or even used system. The good news is that pretty much anything built in the last 2-3 years (that isn't the absolute lowest cost model) will run circles around your current machine. SSDs are great and newer systems have them by default, but the key is to find a system with a decent CPU Passmark score.

One other thing I noticed is that at the end of the DxDiag results, there have been crashes from the ACDSee indexer and also Lightroom. Obviously you want to be sure and only run one photo imaging app at a time, and it may help to uninstall ACDSee and check to see if PhD runs smoother.

If it does, then try reinstalling ACDSee and make sure you've got the latest update for it.

I have Photoshop Elements 9 and a trial version of Elements 2021 that instantly loads the same 8000 thumbnails wirhout the spinning wheels of PD as I quickly scroll down. Except for some of these laggy operations, I prefer PD. So I would prefer to exhaust other causes. I don't understand why smaller project sizes wouldn't help.

Which drive is the best location for the .phd file? C or D?
Quote Hello again,

Take advantage of the speed of the SSD (1TB C drive) by having my system and apps there.
Take advantage of the space of my HD (2TB D drive) by having all my photos there and edits there.
Does this make sense?

► That would be what meny users do, & it makes perfect sense. On my main PC, I have 2 SSDs & 2 HHDs. The SSDs store system & software & HHDs store photos, videos, music, documents etc.

sometime between last night and today the photos repopulated on the C drive - like they were never deleted. Do you know why that would happen?

► I've used PhD, Lr and a variety of other photo organisers/editors, but have never witnessed any such behaviour. I doubt that PhD would have automatically done that & I'm quite sure the presence of other photo apps would have had no impact. A puzzlement.

Does Photo Director (PD) revert to looking at the photo files on the C drive if they are on both the D and C drive?

► No. PhD "looks", initially, in the most recent folder you accessed via PhD, then it "looks" where you tell it to!

Have edit files on drive D and not on C? I guess that is the .phd file. How do I move that to my D drive. Will than mess anything up?
Set default location for new dowloads from my camera to drive D?
Keep the app from repopulating my C drive with photos (if indeed that is the app that did it).

► Edited photos can be stored where you wish, using the options in the Export dialogue.
► Are you transferring files directly from your SD card to your D drive, or "making extra copies" (shown in the import dialogue)? Either way, you choose where the photos/copies are stored.
► Since PhD did not automatically repoulate your C drive, I'm unable to suggest a way to stop it! smile Perhaps this may be related to the point directly above (?).

PIX

In my computer system, is it best to keep the .phd file on the faster C drive, or move it to the D drive with the photos? If the latter, where do I find the .phd file and what's the best way to move it?
I currently have 8,000+ photos in one Project. I'm wondering if I reached my limit for optimum speed/performance - for two reasons:

1) Most often the pull-down "File" menu on the top left takes several seconds to open.

2) When I am on the root folder containing dozens of subfolders containing the 8,000+ image files, as I scroll down it takes several seconds for the images to populate the thumbnails.

I wonder if creating a 2nd Project with fewer image files in each would help. I've attached my DXDiag.txt file in case you notice another issue causing this slowdown.

If creating a new Project may help, I would move my 2020 and 2021 Calendar View files into the new Project and import new images into that new Project.

Which steps should I take to create a new Project and move some existing files into it?

1) Click on "File:New Project
2) Name the new Project
3) Move the Calendar View years "2020 and 2021" into the new Project

OR, more simply...

Shift-click the two years I want as a new Project and select "Export Folder as New Project?"

Thanks for your advice and help.

Jerry
Thank you for your reply. Redoing the tags helped me learn the face recognition better.cool

To understand the file system better, my goal is to:

Take advantage of the speed of the SSD (1TB C drive) by having my system and apps there.
Take advantage of the space of my HD (2TB D drive) by having all my photos there and edits there.
Does this make sense?

Knowing this, is it best to leave the .phd file on my C drive or would performance not degrade if moved to the D drive with the photos. If the latter, what is the best way to move the .phd file to the D drive from the C without messing anything up?

After I (clumsily) deleted all my 8000 photo files from C, knowing they were all on D, sometime between last night and today the photos repopulated on the C drive - like they were never deleted. Do you know why that would happen? I do have several other photo organizers on the C drive, so I don't know if the Cyberlink app would have done that or one of my other programs did it.

Does Photo Director (PD) revert to looking at the photo files on the C drive if they are on both the D and C drive?

How do I direct PD to:

• Have edit files on drive D and not on C? I guess that is the .phd file. How do I move that to my D drive. Will than mess anything up?

• Set default location for new dowloads from my camera to drive D?

• Keep the app from repopulating my C drive with photos (if indeed that is the app that did it).

Right now my edits are going to different folders from the location of the originals, I think, because when I select "Show photos in same folder" the edited result is in a different folder.

That's it for now. More questions sure to follow...embarassed

PS: I'm coming from Photoshop Elements 9 (10 years old) and a 7 year old version of Lightroom. I tried PSE 2021 but found it to be buggy. I've trialed ACDSee, (but don't like the comparatively confusing interface) and Digikam (worse than ACDSee). So far Photo Director has been both solid and has a user interface that is easy to learn/intuitive. I'm mainly trying to get my mind around the filing structure, which is just as much a Windows 10 thing as it is PD. I'm suspecting every photo organizer known to humanity insists that files and photos be changed ONLY from within the program, not through Windows File Explorer.
On Windows 10 I would like to know where PD12 stores its files, catalogs, tags, etc.

My boot drive is C drive, a 1TB SD card. The system and apps are there.

My photos are on drive D, a 2TB HD, occupying only 100 GB.

New imported/downloaded photos are set to go to D. Backup is to an external drive.

Where are tags, face and other settings sent?

I ask because I deleted a duplicate set of photos off of Drive C (C:user:myname:pictures) and they disappeared from. PD12. Had to re-download from D and not sure if I have to redo hours worth of retagging and facial. Its been cranking away on "analyzing" 8000 photos for over an hour now. I hope it is reattaching tags to the same set of photos on the D drive as I deleted from C drive.
Go to: