Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Starting a new Project - moving existing files into it...
gmoochie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2021 22:18 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I currently have 8,000+ photos in one Project. I'm wondering if I reached my limit for optimum speed/performance - for two reasons:

1) Most often the pull-down "File" menu on the top left takes several seconds to open.

2) When I am on the root folder containing dozens of subfolders containing the 8,000+ image files, as I scroll down it takes several seconds for the images to populate the thumbnails.

I wonder if creating a 2nd Project with fewer image files in each would help. I've attached my DXDiag.txt file in case you notice another issue causing this slowdown.

If creating a new Project may help, I would move my 2020 and 2021 Calendar View files into the new Project and import new images into that new Project.

Which steps should I take to create a new Project and move some existing files into it?

1) Click on "File:New Project
2) Name the new Project
3) Move the Calendar View years "2020 and 2021" into the new Project

OR, more simply...

Shift-click the two years I want as a new Project and select "Export Folder as New Project?"

Thanks for your advice and help.

Jerry
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Computer System Data
 Filesize
83 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
126 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the DxDiag results.

It does look like you're up against your system's ability when trying to process thousands of images, and I honestly don't think it's going to matter a whole lot where your various files are located.

I say that because the CPU for your HP system is an older and fairly slow AMD chip. To see what I mean, the Passmark score for this CPU is barely over 3k, and for video/photo editing the forum's consensus is at least 10k, and ideally above 20k for heavier workloads.

The low performance numbers mean that your CPU is going to be working constantly just to manage the user interface and do some image processing, and whenever it has to sift through thousands of images it's going to take some noticeable amount of time to finish before it can move on to the next editing task.

If it's at all possible, I think you should look into getting a new or even used system. The good news is that pretty much anything built in the last 2-3 years (that isn't the absolute lowest cost model) will run circles around your current machine. SSDs are great and newer systems have them by default, but the key is to find a system with a decent CPU Passmark score.

One other thing I noticed is that at the end of the DxDiag results, there have been crashes from the ACDSee indexer and also Lightroom. Obviously you want to be sure and only run one photo imaging app at a time, and it may help to uninstall ACDSee and check to see if PhD runs smoother.

If it does, then try reinstalling ACDSee and make sure you've got the latest update for it.
gmoochie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2021 22:18 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the DxDiag results.

It does look like you're up against your system's ability when trying to process thousands of images, and I honestly don't think it's going to matter a whole lot where your various files are located.

I say that because the CPU for your HP system is an older and fairly slow AMD chip. To see what I mean, the Passmark score for this CPU is barely over 3k, and for video/photo editing the forum's consensus is at least 10k, and ideally above 20k for heavier workloads.

The low performance numbers mean that your CPU is going to be working constantly just to manage the user interface and do some image processing, and whenever it has to sift through thousands of images it's going to take some noticeable amount of time to finish before it can move on to the next editing task.

If it's at all possible, I think you should look into getting a new or even used system. The good news is that pretty much anything built in the last 2-3 years (that isn't the absolute lowest cost model) will run circles around your current machine. SSDs are great and newer systems have them by default, but the key is to find a system with a decent CPU Passmark score.

One other thing I noticed is that at the end of the DxDiag results, there have been crashes from the ACDSee indexer and also Lightroom. Obviously you want to be sure and only run one photo imaging app at a time, and it may help to uninstall ACDSee and check to see if PhD runs smoother.

If it does, then try reinstalling ACDSee and make sure you've got the latest update for it.

I have Photoshop Elements 9 and a trial version of Elements 2021 that instantly loads the same 8000 thumbnails wirhout the spinning wheels of PD as I quickly scroll down. Except for some of these laggy operations, I prefer PD. So I would prefer to exhaust other causes. I don't understand why smaller project sizes wouldn't help.

Which drive is the best location for the .phd file? C or D?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2021 21:38