Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Questions about file locations: PD12
gmoochie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2021 22:18 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
On Windows 10 I would like to know where PD12 stores its files, catalogs, tags, etc.

My boot drive is C drive, a 1TB SD card. The system and apps are there.

My photos are on drive D, a 2TB HD, occupying only 100 GB.

New imported/downloaded photos are set to go to D. Backup is to an external drive.

Where are tags, face and other settings sent?

I ask because I deleted a duplicate set of photos off of Drive C (C:user:myname:pictures) and they disappeared from. PD12. Had to re-download from D and not sure if I have to redo hours worth of retagging and facial. Its been cranking away on "analyzing" 8000 photos for over an hour now. I hope it is reattaching tags to the same set of photos on the D drive as I deleted from C drive.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2021 22:45

[Post New]
Hello gmoochie,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

There's a bit of a lesson in that. Don't delete photos that have been imported into a project while you're trying to work on it!

All editing information, such as adjustments, face tags, text tags etc, is stored in the .phd (project) file, which can be opened & viewed with Notepad if you're interested. The default location for .phd files/folders is C\Pictures, but that up to your own preference.

If you were to:

1. Locate the .phd file of your previous project

2. Open it

3. Find the missing photos when prompted...

... you'd have restored your previous work. That's going to be difficult, given you've deleted some photos.

Tags are not written into the photos metadata until they're exported from PhD, so (in your case) you & PhD will have to redo what you've both done.

I'm sorry it's not a terribly helpful post. You most probably realise most of that now.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
gmoochie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply. Redoing the tags helped me learn the face recognition better.cool

To understand the file system better, my goal is to:

Take advantage of the speed of the SSD (1TB C drive) by having my system and apps there.
Take advantage of the space of my HD (2TB D drive) by having all my photos there and edits there.
Does this make sense?

Knowing this, is it best to leave the .phd file on my C drive or would performance not degrade if moved to the D drive with the photos. If the latter, what is the best way to move the .phd file to the D drive from the C without messing anything up?

After I (clumsily) deleted all my 8000 photo files from C, knowing they were all on D, sometime between last night and today the photos repopulated on the C drive - like they were never deleted. Do you know why that would happen? I do have several other photo organizers on the C drive, so I don't know if the Cyberlink app would have done that or one of my other programs did it.

Does Photo Director (PD) revert to looking at the photo files on the C drive if they are on both the D and C drive?

How do I direct PD to:

• Have edit files on drive D and not on C? I guess that is the .phd file. How do I move that to my D drive. Will than mess anything up?

• Set default location for new dowloads from my camera to drive D?

• Keep the app from repopulating my C drive with photos (if indeed that is the app that did it).

Right now my edits are going to different folders from the location of the originals, I think, because when I select "Show photos in same folder" the edited result is in a different folder.

That's it for now. More questions sure to follow...embarassed

PS: I'm coming from Photoshop Elements 9 (10 years old) and a 7 year old version of Lightroom. I tried PSE 2021 but found it to be buggy. I've trialed ACDSee, (but don't like the comparatively confusing interface) and Digikam (worse than ACDSee). So far Photo Director has been both solid and has a user interface that is easy to learn/intuitive. I'm mainly trying to get my mind around the filing structure, which is just as much a Windows 10 thing as it is PD. I'm suspecting every photo organizer known to humanity insists that files and photos be changed ONLY from within the program, not through Windows File Explorer.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 16. 2021 18:36

[Post New]
Hello again,

Take advantage of the speed of the SSD (1TB C drive) by having my system and apps there.
Take advantage of the space of my HD (2TB D drive) by having all my photos there and edits there.
Does this make sense?

► That would be what meny users do, & it makes perfect sense. On my main PC, I have 2 SSDs & 2 HHDs. The SSDs store system & software & HHDs store photos, videos, music, documents etc.

sometime between last night and today the photos repopulated on the C drive - like they were never deleted. Do you know why that would happen?

► I've used PhD, Lr and a variety of other photo organisers/editors, but have never witnessed any such behaviour. I doubt that PhD would have automatically done that & I'm quite sure the presence of other photo apps would have had no impact. A puzzlement.

Does Photo Director (PD) revert to looking at the photo files on the C drive if they are on both the D and C drive?

► No. PhD "looks", initially, in the most recent folder you accessed via PhD, then it "looks" where you tell it to!

Have edit files on drive D and not on C? I guess that is the .phd file. How do I move that to my D drive. Will than mess anything up?
Set default location for new dowloads from my camera to drive D?
Keep the app from repopulating my C drive with photos (if indeed that is the app that did it).

► Edited photos can be stored where you wish, using the options in the Export dialogue.
► Are you transferring files directly from your SD card to your D drive, or "making extra copies" (shown in the import dialogue)? Either way, you choose where the photos/copies are stored.
► Since PhD did not automatically repoulate your C drive, I'm unable to suggest a way to stop it! smile Perhaps this may be related to the point directly above (?).

PIX PIX YouTube channel
gmoochie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello again,

Does this make sense?

► That would be what meny users do, & it makes perfect sense. On my main PC, I have 2 SSDs & 2 HHDs. The SSDs store system & software & HHDs store photos, videos, music, documents etc.

sometime between last night and today the photos repopulated on the C drive - like they were never deleted. Do you know why that would happen?

► I've used PhD, Lr and a variety of other photo organisers/editors, but have never witnessed any such behaviour. I doubt that PhD would have automatically done that & I'm quite sure the presence of other photo apps would have had no impact. A puzzlement.

► No. PhD "looks", initially, in the most recent folder you accessed via PhD, then it "looks" where you tell it to!

Have edit files on drive D and not on C? I guess that is the .phd file. How do I move that to my D drive. Will than mess anything up?
Set default location for new dowloads from my camera to drive D?
Keep the app from repopulating my C drive with photos (if indeed that is the app that did it).

► Edited photos can be stored where you wish, using the options in the Export dialogue.
► Are you transferring files directly from your SD card to your D drive, or "making extra copies" (shown in the import dialogue)? Either way, you choose where the photos/copies are stored.
► Since PhD did not automatically repoulate your C drive, I'm unable to suggest a way to stop it! smile Perhaps this may be related to the point directly above (?).

PIX

In my computer system, is it best to keep the .phd file on the faster C drive, or move it to the D drive with the photos? If the latter, where do I find the .phd file and what's the best way to move it?
[Post New]
It should make little-no difference whether the project file (.phd) is kept on your C drive (SSD) D drive (HDD).

Here, my software is installed on either of the SSDs but project files & all media is stored on the 2 HDDs. The same is true for PDR, ADR & CDR.

How do you find the project file? If you've named it, just use Windows search. If not, it's likely to be named "NewProject". When you relocate it, make sure you move the whole containing folder (not just the .phd file).

PIX PIX YouTube channel