Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi chaps,

I haven't visited for a while but thought I would see if anything had progressed.

I'd hate to disappoint you but all this was discussed, work around from every angle, passed onto Cyberlink last year with PD7. Nothing eventuated. Cyberlink has had an SD9 sample clip long ago.

I am still waiting for a fix and I might upgrade to PD8 if one is found as PD is a great programme otherwise.

We live in hope
This is an open letter to the forum in general but also specifically to Tony, Jim, Dafydd and a few others with whom I had several interactions.

I participated actively on the forum and spent many, many hours trying to get the most out of PD7 which I bought specifically to edit AVCHD.
I have demonstrated and documented failings of the programme in relation to AVCHD video and I had assurances that fixes were forthcoming.

PD8 has been released and although there are cosmetic changes and a few extra features I have tested, these will not be particularly useful to me and as such upgrading will be a waste of money. I believe there will be little support in regards to patches for PD7 now PD8 has been released.

All this leaves me with probably little to contribute to the forum as most users will be moving onto PD8.

Thank you for your encouragement & advice, and I hope I have in turn helped a few people out.

Regards

pjc

Quote: SVRT currently is not supported by Canon AVCHD cameras. PD will read the mts files, but rerendering will be required at this moment.

Add Panasonic to that and you have a fair size of the consumer market which isn't supported....pretty poor really. There is still considerable degradation with PD AVCHD rendering so this is a shame.
Panasonic & Canon 1920x1080i50.

Regards
Unfortunately it doesn't fix the big problem of AVCHD rendering & SVRT with AVCHD. I won't even bother doing the downscaling tests to SD Mpeg2 (another weakness of PD7)

For me the small revamp of the UI & a few editing gimmicks doesn't justify the cost of upgrade.

I am quite disappointed.
Quote:
Reverse video
Much better previewer
Copy and paste between timelines
Youtube & Facebook upload limits fixed
Multi-monitor editing
Lighting enhance, stabilization, denoise, all integrated now.

I don't know Babdi, I think there are great improvements.

Mmmm - for USD50 (for upgrade) that isn't much improvement. I haven't put it through its paces yet but some core problems need to be fixed before I consider forking out more $ to Cyberlink.
Quote: in your opinion

In my opinion, PD has been let down by the AVCHD rendering. Myself and others can notice obvious degradation from the original video quality when PD renders the AVCHD files. This is even with the same bitrate. So like James I convert to Mpeg2 BD profile. This is just good 'ol mpeg2 but at a rather "expensive" bitrate of 25Mbps. As I have oodles of HDD space and play files from a media player the large file size doesn't bother me but it is a shame you have to convert to another codec when we should be able to stick with the more efficient Mpeg4. SVRT also is not able to cope with the more recent AVCHD cameras so all footage is rendered.

So I edit with PD and
1. render to Mpeg2 BD profile for local playback as this consistently gives the best quality.
2. render to AVCHD and burn to DL DVD for hybrid disc for family/friends with Blu-Ray players
3. render to Mpeg2 BD profile and then use completely different software to produce SD DVDs for family/friends who don't have Blu-Ray players
and
4. keep all my original footage and projects in hope that PD8 fixes AVCHD rendering and can open PD7 project files (I am not holding my breath).

Hope this helps
Hi Belinda

Just to add to James reply.

To make a hybrid AVCHD dics (which is playable on many BD players - especially those companies who developed AVCHD eg Sony, Panasonic):

1. Open disc Module
2. In "create disc preferences" (spanner icon bottom left) select AVCHD, then disc size. Also select video resolution ( I use 1920x1080).

I have fit almost 1 hr of HD video onto a DL DVD media (8.5Gb). They play well on PS3.

Regards

This has been mentioned although buried deep in the forum :

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6441.page#25510
Hi Bob,

I will speak from my experience.

I have an AVCHD HD camera. It looks fantastic and certainly a big improvement over my old SD camera on a 42" HD plasma but this is when played back in HD with a media player
I have converted to DVD for family and friends and the result when using PD is worse than using the SD camera. ie PD with my equipment does a worse job at downscaling to DVD quality from HD than using SD as original footage.

That said I suggest you should seriously consider the upgrade but also factor a HD player in the overall package. The WD HD player is good value and the second version is out soon. Alternatively several BD players play "hybrid" discs which are AVCHD BD format on DVD (about 1 hrs worth). PD can produce these discs.
Yes, if you burn to a folder the whole DVD structure is created. IMGBurn merely transfers it to the physical DVD. All the original DVD structure is maintained.
My suggestion:

1.Download and install IMGBurn (freeware - google it)
2. Use the good (1st) DVD you produced to create a DVD image (.iso file) onto your PC or use PD to create a DVD folder on your PC instead of burning DVD.
3. Use IMGBurn to burn the other DVDs from this image file or the DVD folder. Use the verify data option as well.

I find IMGburn a reliable burn module.

Regards
Hi Vance,

You have some testing to do I would say.

Firstly if you are going to play HD files over your network you can almost forget the wireless option. Perhaps 720p MKVs but I suspect 1080i/p AVCHD won't manage, let alone 25mbps mpeg2.

So if you have a wired connection you may like to make a few trial files and see how they go.

Rendering to AVCHD is good in theory but PD has a pretty poor rendering engine and artifacts and blocking are introduced.

Rendering to mpeg2, although you are changing the codec, results (for me) in a much better result. Try BD profile but this is 25Mbps. You can use the Mpeg2 HD option and drop the data rate to say 20Mbps if the BD profile stalls.

If all else fails try rendering to Mpeg2 and re-encoding to MKV using the freeware on the net (Google it)

This is what I would do if I had such a machine (not yet available in Oz )
Quote:
Therefore I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how to get the best quality DVD image from the AVCHD files.

Hi Jim,

I use a Canon and a Pana AVCHD. I totally agree both AVCHD rendering and Mpeg2 SD(DVD) rendering is poor with PD. Unlike Alex I render my files to BD profile (Mpeg2 1080i) and then use third party software to render to DVD. This is very annoying I know
From my perspective

1. SVRT for Panasonic AVCHD still doesn't work
2. SVRT for canon AVCHD still only works until the first transition point then all other video is rendered from then on (ie no change)
3. AVCHD render hasn't improved - still same artifact introduction (ie no change)
4. Magic fix still produces weird artifacting making it useless for my set up (ie no change)

I can't comment on stability yet.

No enhancements for me I'm afraid.
Another couple of suggestions for you Scott.

Firstly make sure you have the CUDA drivers installed for your graphics card (yours supports it ) as the GPU rendering for AVCHD is better and quicker than PD rendering.

Secondly the bit about dropping the clips into the timeline then waiting is in regard to using low resolution proxy files to help with HD editing. This option is able to be turned on or off in preferences.

I had a lot of trouble with it in it lost edit points etc and I turned it off and I suggest you do the same. Never had a problem since doing so.

Hope it goes well.
Quote: Can anyone please give me advice?

My advice would be to use the search function of the forum. (1st icon below the title Cyberlink Community Forum above)

Searching "AVCHD" brought up 3 of the first 5 hits with people asking the similar question.

But to answer yours : No
Have you unchecked "burn to disc" option?
Quote:

so surely, it should be at least a bit better wouldnt it? (fingers crossed! lol)

Here is what I did:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3991.page#15198

Hi Scot,

What is "HD footage"

Are we talking HDV or mpeg4 .h264 or AVCHD?

You will get away with a lot less if you have a HDV camcorder vis the newer .h264 ones.
Go to: