Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi Jeff

I tried a different AGP card, 256MB GeForce 7600GS, but there was no improvement - the freezing remained with the result that PowerDirector V7 just didn't work for me. Despite the help from Cyberlink's guys nothing solved the problem and finally Cyberlink refunded my money. This was not the result I wanted but I have concluded that my computer was just not powerful enough (Pentium 3GHz, 1.5 GB RAM & Windows XP, HDDs of 200GB & 250GB).

I hope you have better luck than I had and that Cyberlink find out why the program didn't run properly on a computer which apparently met the stated system requirements

Cheers

Jack
Hi
Thanks for these suggestions which I appreciate. Unfortunately they have not cured the problem.
Cyberlink technical guys suggested a possible solution which involved, among other things, lowering the screen resolution to 1024*768, the refresh rate to 60Hz and the color down to 16 bit. I tried it but with no success.

I have re-examined the 2 Vista OS computers that I tried the program on - the one that ran PD7 without a problem had a NVidia GeForce FX 5500 256MB video card whereas the one that didn't run PD7 properly had a Radeon XT9600 128 MB card (my computer has a Radeon 9800XXl 128 MB card).
My computer expert colleagues suggest that video editing needs more than 128 MB and that I should upgrade my video card.
All this work, and believe me I've spent a lot of time on it both at home and at the computer club, begs the question of why the PD6 trial version on which I based my decsion to buy PowerDirector, does not have this problem when I run it on my computer.

Any advice on whether upgrading my video card would be a good move and on what card as I should buy, would be very welcome.

Thanks

Jack
Hi Benjamin

I have now run PD7 build 1714 on 2 computers both running Vista.
On one of them the video being edited ran without a problem. On the other the video froze as it had done on 5 - yes five! -other computers running XP SP2
Conclusions: If I can run it on one Vista computer and on the PD6 Trial version without a problem, then it's not an operator problem
If the program runs on some computers and not others, then Cyberlink's statement of the program's system requirements are incorrect.
Cyberlink's FAQ gives no insight into the problem
I'm very disappointed with the program. I would expect better from Cyberlikk.

Jack
Hi Benjamin

Thanks for your suggestions; here' are some results:

1 No success with switching AVG off.
2. Ran the programme on one of my computer club's computers (on XP SP2- I'll try Vista tomorrow) and the video still froze
3. The video produces OK with no freezing
4 Changing playback settings produced some interesting and, for me confusing, results, as follows:
a) Opened File/Playback
b) Selected 'Play Selected Clip in Media Viewer'
c) Clicked and then clicked to start play - Result: Played without any freezing!
d) Ctrl-Enter is given as the shortcut to Play Selected Clip in Media Viewer so I tried the shortcut and pressed Control-Enter and clicked start play.
Result Video froze as before.

So that's a partial but not particulalrly satisfactory solution

Cheers

Jack
Hi - Today I submitted a post on a Video Freezing problem with PD7 V1714 but it's not appeared -What's happening?

Cheers

Jack
Hi

I'm very much a newbie to video editing and working my way to understand and use PD7. However, I've met a problem with the video freezing. An elementary example of the problem is shown below together with some background information:

Cyberlink Program: PowerDirector V7.00 Build 1714

Computer Data: CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3 GHz; 1.5GB RAM; 190 GB free HD space; Windows XP SP2; Radeon XXL 9800 128MB video adapter.

Problem: Edited video clips freeze during playback in ‘Preview with Media Viewer’ mode.
Example:
1. Opened PD7 v1714; added Aquarium.mpg to video track on timeline
2. Selected Text Sepia from Effects Room and added it to Effect Track
3. Selected Movie in normal 'Preview Window' and clicked Play
4. Video and audio tracks ran with no problem
5. Then I selected 'Preview with Media Viewer' and clicked Play
6. The video clip froze at around 5 secs for 2 to 3 seconds before resuming; the audio track was unaffected.

Further Data: With longer videos containing more edits, the video freezing can occur in the normal Preview Window.
No background programs were running except AVG anti-virus and essential XP programs.

I have run PD7 on 2 other computers with the same result. I've also run PD7 V 1628a with the same result.

PowerDirector V 6 Trial Version does not appear to have this problem.

Questions: Is the problem caused by the program, the computers or me? And how can it be solved?

Jack

Hi Georg

That is the answer to my problem So simple yet I missed it completely. Anyway, my thanks to you for the solution.
Also my thanks to Dafydd who has been so helpful and to Robert. Also to the Cyberlink forum - it's good to know that assistance is so readily available and so readily given.

Cheers

Jack
Hi

Update

Dafydd has just provided me with the link for downloading build 1714.

Thanks, Dafydd, I really appreciate all your help

Cheers

Jack

'If at first you don't succeed ..."
Hi Robert

The information on the download link site provided by Cyberlink tonight is identical to the previous one but no information has been provided on the build.
Is it possible to check the build before I download the file? - it's a big download and at my ADSL download speed of 512 Kbps, a long one.
I've downloaded it twice already and I don't want to make it four times by downloading build 1628a again and then having to get build 1714.
How do I contact Cyberlink? - I emailed them 3 days ago and all I've had is routine acknowledgement - no answer to my problems. I've had great assistance from Dafydd but silence from Cyberlink.

Cheers

Jack
Hi Dafydd

I'll try once again with a cropped screen shot with a file size of 43 KB

Cheers

Jack
Hi Dafydd

Yes. All the evidence points to corrupted downloads. I'll uninstall PD7 and clean up the registry before downloading the file again. Cyberlink determine the source of the download and its version so I guess I get what their people say I get.

I've resized the jpeg file which is attached.

Cheers

Jack
Hi

I'm having trouble posting the screen capture image that shows the Magic Tool problem I'm having with PowerDirector Version 7.

Will someone tell me how to post a jpeg attachment? Thanks.

Cheers

Jack
Hi Dafydd
I've completed the tasks you suggested. The problem persists.

I'm having trouble posting three attachments to the forum. They are: a text file describing the results (2KB), a DxDiag file (53KB) and a screen shot file (105KB). I'll post the two smaller files and the jpeg file separately.

Cheers

Jack
Hi Dafydd

I ran PD7 on a third computer with the same result i.e no Magic Tools operable. I then carried out the first of the steps you suggested as follows:
I restored an Acronis image to put my main computer back to its pre-PD state. I then installed PD7 with identical results i.e. no Magic Tools operation.I ran the ...-posts/list/3026.page test - rt clicked a video clip and selected Edit video; color. As before the slide controls of Brightness, contrast etc were greyed (dimmed) out and inoperable.

Answer to Part A of ...-posts/list/2405.page:
Licensed to Jack N......
PowerDirector DeLuxe 7.00.1628a
SR Number VDE071008-01

As it's very late in Sydney now, I'll carry out tasks B, C & D tomorrow.

Once again many thanks for your help and interest in my problem

Jack
Thanks Dafydd for your advice. I appreciate your help and I'll follow your directions and get back to you.

Jack
Hi - Magic Tools Utilisation Problem

After successfully using Powerdirector V6 trial, I bought and downloaded PD V7. But none of the Magic Tools works. For instance, it is impossible to use the Auto Clean to change the colour of a video clip in the Edit mode as all the slider controls (brightness, contrast etc.) are greyed out.

Suspecting a corrupted download, I downloaded the 661,539MB file again and installing the file on a different computer gave the same problem.

Magic Tools worked excellently and most impressively on the trial PD V6.

Is there something that I'm overlooking? Or is there a difference between V6 and V7 in the operation of the Magic Tools. Or is the problem caused by corrupt downloaded files.

I have asked Cyberlink who has emailed that it will get back to me...

Can anyone help, please?

Jack
Posting removed. Please post as a NEW TOPIC.

Thanks
Dafydd
[Moderator]
Go to: