Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Well, if there isn't any Layers module anymore, then the issue can't be there, either

So far so good. Do not have a lot time for more testing now. But next few days will play around and will provide with my findings.
Quote An update on this issue:

The QA team at CyberLink has replicated the issue with PhD365 running the most recent builds. RD/CS says that it “should be resolved in an upcoming release”.

So, that's some positive news.

Thank you (all) for raising & investigating the Layers issue. The information provided in this thread has helped greatly.

PIX

Let's see if it is resolved in latest version PhD11. I am updating right now and will report later .
When I opened the ticket there are fields with exact version that need to be filled. Also there is a screenshot with my PD version. I could not even imagine that someone from support will try to replicate issue on previous or different version ……

Also hardware issue does not make sense since my self and optodata have tested it on very different systems.

Optodata my sad observations about tradition to test beta products over customers seems to be industrial standard but not reserved mark for CL. And this is from simplest free phone apps up to the most expensive enterprise products. Microsoft and Apple are exemplary for this kind of issues. And also in industries such as automotive and many others. Of course this is not an excuse for CL.

We just need to have more tickets opened so they will put it on priority.
Two more.

You can find all gradients to test them from google drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eVr9kpexepnKFIw9G27vIRQFE29_vRn1

In folder Gradients for test.
And one more:

And one more.

One more.

Optodata of course you can show it better! Just add color:

Same to me.

Just reviewed some old night shots without any adjustments and almost every picture look bad in layers module. Details in the sky and in the shadows get corrupted even whole parts of bildings get blacked out. So there is no problem with adjustments at all.

Today received reply from support and this issue is escalated to engineering team. Seems like they also could not reproduce issue.

Anyone else with similar problem?
Sorry but you really don't get my point here! And there is no offense here!

First I get into the issue when I saw heavy loss in the detail in DARK AREAS with regular night shots as you can see it from my last recording. Just one party continued till early in the morning. Nothing scientific, medical or ultra professional! As you can see on the second post with Snake picture few posts before. First post is with original picture second is with messed colors. And there is absolutely large loss of detail that makes pictures useless. Details that you can see in the JPG are just black in Layers. And also every fine gradient in shadows or in colors like dark sky for example.

Second I provided advice to lower the exposure just in case you do not have dark images on hand. So you just get bright image and lower exposure. Simple as that! Nothing extreme or super ultra mega adjustments applied. Because defect shows up only in DARK AREAS of the image. Usual shadows but not only, could be areas with low light. Also I do not think that -1 to -2 is extreme exposure adjustment but anyway.

I have a lot of examples uploaded that clearly show the issue and optodata also demonstrated it with simple gray gradient
And all this defects are not normal and not observed in any other software that I use.

Please if you like to cooperate take a look at uploaded screen recordings.
And if you and PIX do not have this issue on same version of PhotoDirector then we can consider something else. Like Windows updates and etc.

PS: Also please advise what is your PhotoDirector version.
Created new screen recording with real night shots demonstrating how destructive to fine details this issue is.
File is uploaded to drive and named: 20190809053957.mp4

Uploaded to Drive, file is named Snake.mp4

Hi Pix I think that monitor calibration have nothing to do with this problem. As you can see from the sample picture above snake get so much corrupted and smooth gradient in the shadow is totally lost. Just dark areas below some level are cut off.

I reviewed your screen recording but it seems to be very pixelated from youtube compression and fine detail in dark areas and color gradient is lost from the start.
But most of the time you look at the bright side of the image and did not compare well with adjustment tab. Let's say open dark image, look at dark areas with some details in it then do not move but just switch to layers module. Then again switch to adjustment module.

It could be hardware related but I tried on two separate windows installations with ATI(AMD) adapter and with my integrated Intel graphic adapter. Same to Optodata and but he tried with his Nvidia and Intel adapters.
So to me it looks much more like a software problem. Could you please advise what is your Windows version and PhotoDirector version?

I will do one screen recording with snake picture above to see how easy it is to notice the issue. And it stays with export not just in the preview!
Same picture as previous one taken from wikipedia but with lowered exposure in Adjustments, then rised exposure in Layers and exported from Layers to attached file.

This looks exactly as gradient problems seen between 8bit and 10bit colors. But in our case seems like jpg vs giff colors. And if you try to apply any color boost adjusments in Layers it become real mess.
This also looks like default artistic filter for posterization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterization

jpg vs giff colors
Hi Pix,

You can replicate the issue with every possible picture. If it does not have enough dark areas just lower the exposure. Then switch to Layers tab and voila. If you have night shots it just become very clear.

If you are unable to replicate the issue this will become more interesting.
I get exact same effect or deffect. And when export image from Layers it is exported with same deffect as already seen from all other examples. So it is not just preview deffect but it get baked to final image.
Today support replyed and from this reply I see they could not understand what is the issue. So please if you don have it done yet open support ticket for same issue.

Also this is why I will like more people to chek if they have same issue and if they have it to open support tickets.

This is the exact reply that I get:
"With reference to your query, please be advised that by further checking on the screenshots you provided, the photo preview area size and aspect ratio in the Adjustment and Layers modules are different because the Layers module has side tool panels additionally.
Therefore, the "preview areas" are in different shapes (different aspect ratios) between Adjustment and Layers modules, and cropped different areas on the photos actually for preview when you selected to preview photo in 100% ratio (no size scaling or reduction on the preview).
Because the preview areas aspect ratio are not the same, it might cause visual illusion that the previews are distorted when viewing them directly.
The shape of the object on the photo are not distorted actually per our further checking.
You are advised to crop the exactly identical area from the photo preview screenshots in 1:1 square for comparison between Adjustment and Layers module's preview. The preview is not distorted."

I do not know, maybe my english is too bad....
Go to: