Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I quite agree with rthe idea that VR360 is a good mixer between 3D VR and SbS 2D...
I edited 2D as VR, ordinary 4k footage, and the pan logo works on a computer, enabling the viewer to drag and drop the whole picture around as it plays -in "Film & Video" player.
Building on that (and straying a bit out of the original topic) I have (such as..) little dream (I sadly learnt that father Xmaswill soon be on the endangered species short list, due to warming ... you know what sort of !) :

-Could Cyberlink devise a real mix between Vr 180° and 3D in SbSide mode, which is actually 2D in fact?
a) allow import of 2 right and left video clips, making conversion to VR only an option (one should keep picture format as it is for 3D)
b) allow for 4K export as 3D, or VR 180° -which seems to have an edge at the moment.

c) allow for "upright" videos to be paired at import stage : 4000+ pixels x 2x2120 pixels to obtain VR, or 3D ,
according to capture mode. Export could be SbS or Top/bottom .

At the moment I have 2 4k smartphones, and I am preparing a rig for the 2 phones following modes :

• SbS 4 K export as 4K in regular mp4 3D

• "to be stiched" capture of 2 side by side, OR top/bottom overlapping streams for VR.
    (I have to say I haven't been that impressed by the available VR footage, be it in VR 180, sorry)

... just my crazy 6 pence .. ultimately, if PD 19 or more could have a look at it, I thank them in advance,
    and Merry Xmas -also in advance!

Well, since I last posted I discovered that some big names (Goog.. for one) seems to want to ditch 360° video, and go for 180°, or probably 190° including an overlap zone.
I'll postpone the migration until they've come up with a standard, not two.. in the meantime I'm practisising old time stereo, with two smartphones. I've bought a cheap mount for a tablet, it can take 2 6.5" smartphones in Side bySide mode when held upright.

When the rigwith the 2 phones is upright, you get 4 k across (2x2120pix) but 4k (3840 pix) also vertically. It can be panned -vertically only- to clip it to 2k with half the stream to choose from.
Recap :
- 3D output in two vertical streams, cropped at half mast for SbS viewing, and vertical panning at editing stage..
For horizontal footage, I need another mount, but I'm not sure I want it!
.. hope you're still with me....
Bottom line, as for me, is that 180° looks less fussy/fuzzy than 360, but only one camera as yet.
Thanks for the exchange anyway!
Oh yeah...! I'm glad to step into your shoes, because at the moment I've been looking into Vr, just to discover this much :
-VR is not VR ! production of a Vr 360° is at heart something that's out of reach of the ordinary video fan : one just doesn't have the streams require to get it working (4 at ground level, +2 above head and below).
.. sure you can get that from a special camera, only it's not VR, it's plain reality, albeit distrorted .. a kind of "fake vid"?
- Your use of photos is a nice workaround to obtain "equidistance" for good : the photo is flat, and the fish-eye distortion limited.
As I get it, 360, or now 180 degree clips set the distance of the cenbter pic and that of the edges at the same level, hardly conceivable for a photograph .. unless "virtual"

Personal stream of reasoning :
- VR as out a camera is OK only if your focus is on subjects at the distance (you can't use tracking, as the subjetct itself is constantly updated). Typically, the best clip I watched was 360° inside a plane cockpit.
- If that is so, you(re stuck with pictures for footage, and zooming or panning for effects. The best example of the technique is maybe in Windows' "idle screen" featuring a view of the Alps, which is gorgeous.
- VR based on video is inadequate for story telling : the "film director" cannot provide more than one focus in a scene ..
if you're distracted from the bride during wedding it means you're gettig bored! consequently, providing 5 "extyra screens is un realistic. Picture yourself in a TV station in front of mulktiple screens, is that what you want when watching TV?

My most sought after technique : yours, guy, only subtituting video for photos, with the attached size limit of 4k.. the quest goes on, and my support!
Well, thanks for the answer, which I sadly agree with.. I do have pctures that might be of use in a 4/3 pic slideshow, but as I see it, any footage which has to do with VR seems to be exclusive of "straight"UHD video export.

V I Update!
I did try the Power Director prodedure for creating a VR file, following a friend's piece of advice ..
"When all else fails, read the handbook, stupid!"
Let me start here, with the basics of VR :https://answers.unity.com/questions/868149/how-to-display-prerendered-stereo-panoramas-for-vr.html
Then on to PD 15 (sorry, it's too tricky to update to 16 on my 64gb laptop):
- see "Help" section to import any straight .mp4 4k video (better make it short, for testing)
- you'll have to specify that this should be treated as VR .. sorry to induce you into the temptation of lying, guys!
- It's better to just specify 2D as format, it is specifically meant to help you cheat the prog...
- export the piece as 4k VR, into which mode you're pressed into by the format of the import.

What to make of the exported clip?
... on clicking, the file is opened in the "film and video" player , just fine, only .....
you get a cross top left of the (non 4k) screen, a navigation interface, feel free to go up, down, or sideways.
On a computer you can drag the picture around the screen with a mouse, maybe your finger/stylus on a phone,
and you get a circular dial top left to remind you of the segment you're viewing. More than I bargained for!

For the time being I'll have a break , just to explore the intricacies of displaying a picture that's not too distorted.
I'm planning a rig for my two 4 k WPhones (the second was second hand, half price) and push back my retirement from exploration of the shortcuts towards strings-free 3D VR for amateurs...
This has been a happy day, so far!
have just discovered this export template, and I would like to know where it may be useful.
It could come in handy for photos, but how?
I tried the template, it produced a video that says it is that size, and that video is playable
in Windows "Film and Tv" app, just like ordinary .mp4 clips.
Anybody using this template here? thanks
Go to: