Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using the 360 Equirectangular mode with still photos to create amazing pan and zoom tours
[Post New]
Hey fellow PDR16 USERS! I have discovered anew unknown software feature in pdr16. I have been creating panoramic tours and producing them into mp4 videos. they are creating quite a stir in my business of creating Facebook ads. This unknown feature does not require a single piece of special 360 recording equipment and can be achieved with hd photos or drawings. I have several on my youtube channel now and have been using this amazing find for 3-4 months now. I spoke to several high ranking and experienced Cyberlink users, moderators and video tutorial folks and when I asked if this was possible I was told the software was not designed for that purpose and it was not possible. They all said you have to use a 360 camera to record the video or the photos and then you could use this feature. I already had accomplished this task and have it down to a science now. it is really cool and my customers put it like this. it completely changes the perspective of my photos! it's like I can step inside them and see things that I had no idea I had captured when I took my photo! anyway just thought I would let you know that everyone can use the 360 feature without having to pay for the hire dollar equipment. I make sure that the images are HD and have a deep and wide field of view and this allows me to create up to 10 or more pan and zoom settings that run all by themselves. there are only a few effects that work with this hidden treasure and it has some areas that you will need to pay attention to during your creation of the tours but it can be done so try it and let me know what you think! thanks for reading. I will post a link to my youtube channel so you can watch most of my creations that include this trick.

Https:// youtu.be/T86wgDUXJz8. This is my latest 360 ° 3d creation and it is called Redwood Studios presents "360-3D scenery and cities.

My youtube channel is UC9t5dKhtGJuAqfbTn6QecZA/videos my channel is listed as Bob R. Hope you like my work.

Good luck on your creations everyone! Honor, Country and Corps
Milebo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: France Joined: Sep 06, 2018 08:42 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Oh yeah...! I'm glad to step into your shoes, because at the moment I've been looking into Vr, just to discover this much :
-VR is not VR ! production of a Vr 360° is at heart something that's out of reach of the ordinary video fan : one just doesn't have the streams require to get it working (4 at ground level, +2 above head and below).
.. sure you can get that from a special camera, only it's not VR, it's plain reality, albeit distrorted .. a kind of "fake vid"?
- Your use of photos is a nice workaround to obtain "equidistance" for good : the photo is flat, and the fish-eye distortion limited.
As I get it, 360, or now 180 degree clips set the distance of the cenbter pic and that of the edges at the same level, hardly conceivable for a photograph .. unless "virtual"

Personal stream of reasoning :
- VR as out a camera is OK only if your focus is on subjects at the distance (you can't use tracking, as the subjetct itself is constantly updated). Typically, the best clip I watched was 360° inside a plane cockpit.
- If that is so, you(re stuck with pictures for footage, and zooming or panning for effects. The best example of the technique is maybe in Windows' "idle screen" featuring a view of the Alps, which is gorgeous.
- VR based on video is inadequate for story telling : the "film director" cannot provide more than one focus in a scene ..
if you're distracted from the bride during wedding it means you're gettig bored! consequently, providing 5 "extyra screens is un realistic. Picture yourself in a TV station in front of mulktiple screens, is that what you want when watching TV?

My most sought after technique : yours, guy, only subtituting video for photos, with the attached size limit of 4k.. the quest goes on, and my support!
[Post New]
Quote Oh yeah...! I'm glad to step into your shoes, because at the moment I've been looking into Vr, just to discover this much :
-VR is not VR ! production of a Vr 360° is at heart something that's out of reach of the ordinary video fan : one just doesn't have the streams require to get it working (4 at ground level, +2 above head and below).
.. sure you can get that from a special camera, only it's not VR, it's plain reality, albeit distrorted .. a kind of "fake vid"?
- Your use of photos is a nice workaround to obtain "equidistance" for good : the photo is flat, and the fish-eye distortion limited.
As I get it, 360, or now 180 degree clips set the distance of the cenbter pic and that of the edges at the same level, hardly conceivable for a photograph .. unless "virtual"

Personal stream of reasoning :
- VR as out a camera is OK only if your focus is on subjects at the distance (you can't use tracking, as the subjetct itself is constantly updated). Typically, the best clip I watched was 360° inside a plane cockpit.
- If that is so, you(re stuck with pictures for footage, and zooming or panning for effects. The best example of the technique is maybe in Windows' "idle screen" featuring a view of the Alps, which is gorgeous.
- VR based on video is inadequate for story telling : the "film director" cannot provide more than one focus in a scene ..
if you're distracted from the bride during wedding it means you're gettig bored! consequently, providing 5 "extyra screens is un realistic. Picture yourself in a TV station in front of mulktiple screens, is that what you want when watching TV?

My most sought after technique : yours, guy, only subtituting video for photos, with the attached size limit of 4k.. the quest goes on, and my support!

Hello and thank you for your response to my forum post. I am in agreement with you on the totally different appearance that the photos have as far as quiliy and panoramic limits when using them and know the limitations. My goal in my thread was to inform everyone out there using the Cyberlink products that have not used the 360 feature due to their understanding that it requires additional equipment. it by no means utilizes the full range of the complete set up to get the full benefits of VR and 360 -degree features of the Equirectangular technology but as you stated in your response it is simple and usable now and it just gives my fellow cyberlink users another tool to use. I am using very high resolution wallpaper or background photos that are a minimum of 1920×1080. And these images must have been captured in such a way that they have depth and width in the objective view. I have used the motion tracking feature with standard .mp4 videos but don't really like it much so I create my presets in the design room and then produce those clips and then combine them and produce the multi photo tours lime the ones I provided the link for. it is also a tool that yoy need to be creative with as far as how and where to deploy it. I am have great success in the real estate businesses and retail shops by creating these panoramic tours of the homes for sale and retail shops are using my tours of their stores to increase Facebook views and engagements on social media ads I create for them. The discovery has limits but I feel I have broken that barrier that gives everyone the full use of the software they purchased. I hope Cyberlink Corporation's marketing staff will start immediately testing and marketing this feature to further increase their advantage in the market place. heck I would love to receive some up grade or a new cyberlink software product for breaking that barrier. but probably won't happen but my friends out there in cyberlink world you gotta try this out it has so many applications. thanks again for your reply! 😊
Milebo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: France Joined: Sep 06, 2018 08:42 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Well, since I last posted I discovered that some big names (Goog.. for one) seems to want to ditch 360° video, and go for 180°, or probably 190° including an overlap zone.
I'll postpone the migration until they've come up with a standard, not two.. in the meantime I'm practisising old time stereo, with two smartphones. I've bought a cheap mount for a tablet, it can take 2 6.5" smartphones in Side bySide mode when held upright.

When the rigwith the 2 phones is upright, you get 4 k across (2x2120pix) but 4k (3840 pix) also vertically. It can be panned -vertically only- to clip it to 2k with half the stream to choose from.
Recap :
- 3D output in two vertical streams, cropped at half mast for SbS viewing, and vertical panning at editing stage..
For horizontal footage, I need another mount, but I'm not sure I want it!
.. hope you're still with me....
Bottom line, as for me, is that 180° looks less fussy/fuzzy than 360, but only one camera as yet.
Thanks for the exchange anyway!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 23. 2018 13:15