Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thank you for your help.

I am back to normal now after the uninstall, cleaning the registry and reinstalling.
I've been usingPD Utra 7 for many months on my Vista system without problems. I now have a problem and don't think it is Vista related because it didn't happen before.

I string a lot of mpg clips together to form my video. I usually have to do some trimming of the clips, which used to be no trouble. Now it seems I cannot trim anything. I can use the trim function, make my trim start or stop marks but as I click the "ok" button, the program states it is closing.

Any known issues with this or any ideas.

Do I need to reinstall?
Kudo's to PD7. My video mentioned above was selected to be one which could be watched in "high quality". Yessssssssss...............
The video now looks like what it did on PD viewing window. I can actually see the pores on Clive Owens face.

The next vid I make with PD, I am going to mention in the info section which software program I used in making it. A lot of newbies do ask.

Thank you PD7
Quote: The options that they give you are totally random - the three options in the particular one I looked at where

1) Very distant shot which could not make any detail out
2) A section of video with the titles half appearing on the screen; so not a complete title
3) Another random still which did not represent the subject of the film well

Ideally I wanted a still from the title sequence which illustrates well what the film is about

Ok, I know what you mean now. I thought you were talking about the video I just made and left the link to. But you are replying to the Title image for your video. I've never liked any of the random pics that they have given me. I don't see any way around it though. I am sure the other million vids all have the same problem. It would be nice if they could give you the ability to upload a small image to be the Title shot. Unfortunately, you are in the same boat as everyone else.
Quote: Hi; thanks;

I have seen that; it still appears to be a 'random' selection - for example some mid point of text appearing on bits which have titles etc; it would be good to actually be able to nominate a frame or still?

I am sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.
Ok, I have finally got a YouTube vid online.

Found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFYXXDgtqU

It is a 10 minute vid using Xvid at the preset at the highest quality. It came in at 73megs. It's not bad at all for YouTube but nothing like the quality you see while you are making one.

I did insert three PIPs, which are *.mpg files with movement. Very nice feature.

The vid is not a slide show, because all clips are small video files strung together. I used music, voice, titles on everything, even used voice in one PIP and left the other 2 silent. All-in-all, this vid mixed a lot of what PD7 can do.

Just in case you do go see the vid and Period Drama isn't your bag, you might find the "battle" scene at the 7:25 mark interesting. It's unlike any battle scene I have ever seen before. It comes from King Arthur and is done on ice.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments made here. They were a help. I would greatly like to hear any ideas on improvement of the vid link above.
Quote: Choosing the right template can be confusing. If you want to know more about wmv templates then take a look at a short video I recently created to guide PD users.

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/218/creating-wmv-templates/
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/pages/extras.html

Dafydd

I will still take a look at your suggestion, even though I think I am resolved. I haven't quite got to an upload to YouTube that isn't in testmode. With all this verbiage on my trials and tribulations, I'll have to leave the link here when I'm done. I would love to have comments on what I could have done in PD7 to improve it.

I really enjoyed your PIP transparency tutorial though. Keep those coming. It's people like me that REALLY value that assistance.

Thanks
Quote: Hi Genie,

I am positive that they did not remove the compression you were using in PDR 6, just added new ones.

You will just have to select the right profile when trying to create your file for upload to YouTube. I am guessing you were using DivX and a lower quality from the Quality drop-down to get it below 100 mb.

I personally usually use the streaming video selection when uploading. It usually makes a smaller file for use on the Internet. The file ones are more for burning to discs later.

Dave

I think I have found the error of MY WAYS.

Thank you for your response.
I have been kicking around nearly all of the compression selections.

I do remember before, that it definitely resulted in an .avi format - so that would leave only the avi or divx selection.

The divx compression was resulting in a smaller size then I was used to but at least uploadable. The problem was the quality was far less. After reading you post and again went back and looked around. I must have been using the divx (high speed profile) and have since tried the (high quality profile). This resulted in the approx file size and quality I wanted.

I have also discovered, but not tried, YouTube will now allow files up to 1 gig, but you must use a YouTube uploader file that you've installed on your pc.

Also, for YouTubers, they are now selecting (unknown how the decision) marking vids with a "watch in high quality" link. This is new. I think they are heading towards high def vid recognition. It is an option for viewing. They seem to be looking into the newer vids that are uploaded.

Other then apparently my bad on finding the right compression engine, I love the product and can't wait to get into a new vid and use the new PIP function.

I will be grateful when the clip duration issue is resolved.

My vids usually incorporate 100-200 films clips in a 10 minute timeframe and most clips are trimmed or extended down to the half second to hit certain beats in music. These vids take 4-7 days to complete, so I am constantly in and out of the program, which resets the durations. I don't have any trouble with the trims, but I do with the durations.

Thanks again for your response. It lead me to what configuration I had been using for many months. My problem comes, I think, from my husband passing away recently .... and I believe he was the one that set all that up for me originally.

I am a novie making YouTube videos on British Period Drama. I have made 13 vids using v6 with no problem. I looked around this site today and decided to purchase the v7 Ultra upgrade. It has some lovely new features.

Now, I had been working on a vid in v6, but it was as yet unproduced. I then installed v7, which insisted on removing v6, so I had to ok that.

Now, I cannot get this vid to come in under the 100meg limit. All other vids were between 60-70megs. I was NOT using the YouTube function, but "creating a file" using AVI or Divx (can't remember which) and Mpeg-layer3 for audio. The PCM audio brought the file size to over a gig in v6 and now in v7 it is over 2gigs.

My problem is that I cannot replicate the same file size production now. I have only bought this product for this hobby and now, after spending $70 it is totally unusable for me.

Is there anything that I am missing that I could try. Can I give you any more information.

I don't understand the "compression" options, so I am sure it's somewhere there that may have been preset in v6.

Thanks for any help,
Quote: Is it possible to select which part of a film is used as the title shot 'still' when displayed on YouTube etc - seems to be fairly random - would be good to be able to choose something which represents the film!

I've made 13 vids for YouTube and THEY give you a choice of three shots from your own vid. You will pick one of those.

Go to Your Account
My Videos
Edit Video Info (link on the right of the page)

Your very first edit area will show you 3 "stills" and you choose which one you want to be your Title Shot.
Go to: