Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

I am not working with vob files; I captured the video over the air using Hauppauge. The original file from Hauppauge is in sync but after producing with PowerDirector the audio increasing goes more and more out of sync with the audio.

Although you are not working with vob files it may well be trying my suggested workaround as I was experiencing the same issue of audio going increasingly out of sync. My suggestion would be for you to load your source file and immediately produce a file without doing any editing by using SVRT custom profile suggested by PD.
Check that audio in "produce" file is still in sync and then use that file to do any editing, before producing your final output file.
Good luck. Hopefully the workaround works for all file types.....
Quote After producing HD movies and watching the file the sound eventually goes out of sync with the video; say half way thru. Any suggestions on how to correct? Thank you.

You could try workaround that I came up with for similar issue - https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78810.page
Since my post above I have managed to find a workaround that fixes the audio being thrown out of sync during the Produce process:

1) Extract the various TS files from the DVD to my hard drive
2) Combine the various vob files into 1 using the joinvobfiles tool
3) Used Mediainfo to check details of vob file :
Video 720*576 (4:3) at 25.000 FPS, MPEG Video (PAL) (Version 2) (Main@Main) (BVOP)
Audio 256 kb/s, 48.0kHz, 2 channels, AC-3 (DVD-Video) (Dolby Digital)
4) Earlier advice from PD forum was to maintain aspect ratio and keep codec/bit rate, letting TV do any upscaling so the first thing that I did weas to load the vob file into powerdirector timeline and without doing any editing run SVRT to obtain a custom profile for use when producing. No Audio compression shown in audio tab of SVRT profile, so I chose Dolby Digital and saved as a custom profile for future use.

These first 4 steps are as per my initial post.

5) I checked preview screen in produce to ensure audio still in sync and then chose custom profile that I created at step 4 above. On completion I checked the file produced and the audio was still in sync....so far so good.
6) I then started a new project and loaded the file produced at 5) above into the timeline. Instead of using the joined vob file, I am now using the file produced by powerdirector as my start point for editing.
7) I then split the timeline into the 35 scenes that I wanted, checked audio still in sync in the timeline and then went to Produce.
I checked preview screen in produce to ensure audio still in sync and then chose custom profile that I created at step 4 above. On completion I checked the file produced and the audio was still in sync......so far so good.....
9) I then returned to edit and used Fixed/Enhance White calibration on each scene to balance colour, checked timeline audio still in sync and then went to produce.
10) I checked preview screen in produce to ensure audio still in sync and then chose custom profile that I created at step 4 above. On completion I checked the audio in the file produced to see if it was still in sync. It was....and this file became my final edited version.

For some reason it seems that you have to produce a file from the original vob file and use that as the base for editing to avoid audio becoming out of sync. Bizarre. No sure what issue is - powerdirector or my base vob file? This approach does add another compression to original but at least audio synced. Glad to have sorted this issue as I have lots of other family material on DVD's that I want to digitise.

If others experience similar issue to me then it may be worth trying the above workaround.
I have a video of my daughters 2nd birthday that was taken on VHS camcorder in the early 90's that I want to digitise. The VHS was transferred to DVD a long time ago and the DVD is my only source for this project. I have a reasonably powerful PC (i7 7700 @ 3.60 with 16gb ram) and do not have shadow files enabled.
Steps I took were as follows:
1) Extract the various TS files from the DVD to my hard drive
2) Combine the various vob files into 1 using the joinvobfiles tool
3) Used Mediainfo to check details of vob file :
Video 720*576 (4:3) at 25.000 FPS, MPEG Video (PAL) (Version 2) (Main@Main) (BVOP)
Audio 256 kb/s, 48.0kHz, 2 channels, AC-3 (DVD-Video) (Dolby Digital)
4) Earlier advice from PD forum was to maintain aspect ratio and keep codec/bit rate, letting TV do any upscaling so the first thing that I did was to load the vob file into powerdirector timeline and without doing any editing run SVRT to obtain a custom profile for use when producing. No Audio compression shown in audio tab of SVRT profile, so I chose Dolby Digital and saved as a custom profile for future use.
5) It is a long video, lasting 1 hour 21 mins, comprising numerous separately shot scenes. I split the timeline at each scene break and used white calibration from Fix/Enhance to improve the colour balance of each scene. There were 35 separate scenes.
6) Having spent a long time getting to this stage I went to produce and chose the custom profile determined earlier at step 4 above:
MPEG2 720*576 25 FPS Bitrate 5,060k
7) Before hitting produce I checked preview and audio/video all in synce (as was timeline in Edit section)
The file produce looked fine BUT audio was increasingly out of sync!!!!

I tried various options:
a) Adding original audio file from vob file to separate timeline and disabling the scene split audio
b) Converting original audio to MP3 with audacity and adding that audio to separate timeline.
For both a) and b) the audio/video were in sync when checking on timeline and in preview on produce section BUT every file produced had the audio increasingly out of sync.....

No, upsampling here is related to making intelligent decisons about where to apply the sharpening effect to provide an improvement in the perceived quality of the source video.

One other suggestion is to not be afraid to experiement first, and ask questions later

You can answer sooo many potential questions by simply trying out various effects and even producing to different profiles and see if you're happy with the results or not. That's the only thing that matters.

Forum members are always willing to help with any particular challenges, but you may find that some steps that are recommended here (or even recommended against) might affect your particular video differently than expected, so ultimately you get to decide what works best for your project.

Thanks for advice/feedback. I have indeed been experimenting and comparing "output" on large screen TV that upscales. Have so far found that just making adjustment to white balance works best but have yet to try combining with video enhancement.
Quote I will answer your upscaling question.
Do not upscale to HD. Your TV or player has a much better ability to upscale on it's own.

Thanks for this advice - now planning on maintaining resolution of original video when I produce final edited version.

In Fix/Enhance there is Video Enhancement option that "improves the sharpness of a video and applies an upsampling technology that improves video quality". Should I avoid using this tool given your advice about leaving upscaling to TV or is "upsampling" different to "upscaling"?
I will be using fix/enhance a lot to adjust white balance, correct colour etc and this may well mean that no SVRT workload savings.
I have saved an MPEG 2 profile that refelcts SVRT before any adjustments, preserving the 720 x 576 (16:9) of original file.
As it is likely that, after editing/enhancing, the SVRT option may not work, should I use the MPEG 2 profile I created pre editing or should I set up an MP4 h.264 profile that maintains 720 x 576?
Any benefits of sticking with MPEG2 rather than producing MP4 h.264 version? Suggested average bit rate for 720 x 576 MP4 is 3000 (versus 5000 of original MPEG 2).

Basically, from a quality perspective, am I better sticking with MPEG 2 (format of source file) rather than moving to h.264 MP4 format?

Advice appreciated
Thanks; just download Mediainfo which confirms file is 16:9:

Video : 5.067 kb/s, 720*576 (16:9), at 25.000 FPS, MPEG Video (PAL) (Version 2) (Main@Main) (BVOP)
Quote A VOB is an MPEG in a different suit.
Sometimes simply changing the extension will work!
But yes, your profile looks perfect.
In the timeline, with the files in place, do they have black bars on the sides? If you right-click the file and alter it to 4:3 does it appear correct?
You may wish to also right-click and alter TV format to interlaced, top field first.

Very small black bars to left and right (I set project aspect ratio to 16:9).
Aspect ratio is currently being auto detected and if, via timeline, I change it to 4:3 then still same small black bars to left and right.
Methinks leaving on auto detect is fine.
In timeline the TV format top field, interlaced, is already "ticked"

Thanks for swift feedback and advice - much appreciated.
Looks like SVRT is the way to go.
Quote I will answer your upscaling question.
Do not upscale to HD. Your TV or player has a much better ability to upscale on it's own.

Many thanks for advice - it had crossed my mind that leaving upscaling to TV would be best option. i will have a look at PDToots link to youtube.

When importing the vob file to powerdirect and checking its properties it shows aspect ratio as being 16:9 with Frame Type being interlaced. Bit rate 5.07 Mbps, Resolution 720 x 576 and 25fps

Re produce settings, to enable TV to do upscaling, I am tempted to use Intelligent SVRT option which shows recommended profile as follows:
Media Type mpeg 2
Resolution 720 x 576
Frame rate 25fps
Bitrate 5,060k
Workload Reduced 100% - not sure what this means?

Am I right in thinking this is suitable output for producing post editing?
I have some old family super 8 footage that was converted DVD to by Jessops years ago- the DVD's are the best source that I have available.

Details of the VOB file on DVD for importing into PowerDirector are as follows:
Video: Frame Width 720 Frame Height 576 Data rate 9800kbps Total bitrate 10024kbps Frame rate 25 fps
Audio Bit rate 224 kbs Channels 2 (stereo) Audio sample rate 48kHz
I believe the DVD setting when burning was 16:9 (rather than 4:3) - is there any way of confirming this?

I want to produce a video file, once I have edited the footage in Powerdirector, but am confused about appropriate aspect ratio to use for the project that I will be viewing on 16:9 TV.

1) When importing the VOB file I am planning on using 16:9 aspect ratio for the project - Is this ok?

2) After editing, I am wondering what settings I should use to produce the final video. I was planning on mp4 using h.264 codec - is this the most appropriate choice or is another more suitable. Also confused about what file size, and bit rates to choose.
Is there any point producing 1920 x 1080 output file? What settings would be appropiate to achieve the "best" output file possible given the "quality" of the input source file?

Advice on approach, produce settings prior to embarking on project would be most appreciated.
Been looking at alternatives and easiest way seems to be to copy the various VOB files from DVd to hard drive and then import them to power director. This works but issue then is that powerdirector does not seamlessly "join" the VOB files in the timeline - there is a slight/noticeable "gap" in audio when timeline goes from end of one vob file to start of the next in the timeline.
Workaround for this seems to be to combine vob files before importing to powerdirector - the joinvobfiles tool (that others have referred to seems to solve this issue.
Giving up on solving "non capture" issue and will be using alternative outlined above.
Have been trying unsuccessfully to use Capture to import selected content from DVD.

1. Opened powerdirector 15 full editor

2. Went to capture

3. Inserted DVD (a DVD + R) - Disc contents appear under capture preferences

4. I select desired title using tick

5. I press Record, Extracting shows and seems to complete but NOTHING APPEARS IN CAPTURED CONTENT

A very small capture file exists in selected captured conted folder but useless!

Help to resilve this greatly appreciated.
I have PowerDirector 15 ultimate and want to convert content from a DVD to an MP4 (h.264) file.
The DVD contains old family super 8 footage that was converted to DVD (paid Jessops to do this years ago) and is the best source that I have available.
Details of the VOB file on DVD for importing into PowerDirector are as follows:

Video:
Length 13 mins 49 seconds Frame Width 720 Frame Height 576 Data rate 9800kbps Total bitrate 10024kbps Frame rate 25 fps
Audio
Bit rate 224 kbs Channels 2 (stereo) Audio sample rate 48kHz

Approach that I am thinking of adopting is as follows:

1) I am planning on using 16:9 project aspect ratio as I will view the output on our newly purchased 49" 4k UHD TV.
As the VOB file aspect ratio is not exactly 4:3 or 16:9 I was planning on adjusting clip attributes in the timeline as follows:
Choose Not 4:3, 16:9 or 9:16 and then select Use CLPV to stretch clip to 16:9 aspect ratio. Is this the appropriate/best option to choose? Or do I choose 4:3 (DVD source very close to this) and Use CLPV to stretch to 16:9 aspect ratio?

2) Having set appropriate clip attributes I was then planning on trying the Fix/Enhance tools (never used these before) to "clean up" footage. Recommendations on which of these tool options are best to focus on would be much appreciated. I was thinking of white balance, lighting, coulour, possibly some "sharpening" although source file obviously will not have hughe level of detail.

3) I was planning on choosing MP4 h.264 to produce the final output file for viewing on TV. What Quality Profile setting should I use: 1920 x 1080 presumably but what bit rate settings for video and audio - same as source or lower?

Advice on how I can get best possible output for this project would be most appreciated.
I think the problem lies with the Slideshow Creator options of "Match Photos to Music" being very misleading! It would seem that the themes like motion etc each have their own fixed durations which cannot be changed - changes to preferences and duration in timeline are completely ignored.

I would suggest that most people reading this description in the Slideshop Creator section of the PowerDirector15 manual "Select Fit photos to music to have the length of the slideshow match the duration of the added background music" would assume that the duration of the selected slides would be adjusted so that the total duration of all selected photos matched the length of the background music selected.

This is clearly NOT the outcome. Each photo has a set time and photos are re-used, as necessary to match the length of the background music.

I would suggest PowerDirector make this more explicit in their documentation to avoid other users experiencing similar dissapointment and frustration!

A "workaround" for me was:

1) Load selected photos, 38 in my case, to timeline and choose slideshow.

2) Add selected background music and choose match music to photos - ensures photos only used once each even if not all audio is used!

3) Export video

4) Load video exported in 3) to timeline

5) Unlink audio and remove.

6) Use Power Tools Video Speed option to adjust the video created in 3) to match the exact length of the background music

7) Add original background music used for 2) to timeline

Job done!

Phew...what a waste of several hours that was.....
I am new to PowerDirector 15 Ultimate, having previously used Nero, and am having problems creating a slideshow.

I have 38 photos that I want to combine with a music track that lasts 3 minutes 4 seconds and did the following:

1) Added 38 photos to timeline (the last photo finishes at 3min 17.15 seconds. As I have left default Preferences, Editing settings at default of 5 seconds image and 2 seconds transition the overall length of the 38 photos seems consistent)

2) Clicked Slideshow and chose Motion

3) Chose a background music track of 3 minutes 4 seconds duration

4) For Slideshow preferences I selected Fit Photos to Music with Timeline order and Detect Faces and clicked ok.

Hit next and then watched preview, expecting the 38 photos to be spread over the length of the background music track

(Manual says "Select Fit photos to music to have the length of the slideshow match the duration of the added background music.")

The slideshow does indeed last 3 minutes and 4 seconds BUT the first 11 photos are repeated AFTER 38th photo is shown after 2 minutes 13 seconds!

The above steps were after opening Full Feature Editor to launch PowerDirector. I have also tried opening Slideshow Creator but this too gives exactly the same result with the first 11 photos being shown again after 38th photo appears after 2 mins 13 seconds.

I have tried altering Preferences with 3 seconds per image and 1.5 second transitions that gives an initial length of 2minutes 1.15 seconds but makes absolutely no difference re repeating photos. Same when I inccrease image to 7 seconds with 2 second for transitions and 4 mins 33.15 secinds initial length.

It seems changing duration makes absolutely no difference.

I have now tried the "Fit Music to Photos" option and the slideshow does indeed just comprise my 38 photos......This is useless as the slideshow only lasts 2 mins 13 seconds despite it appearing at 3 mins 17.15 secs in timeline. Why oh why is PowerDirector "changing" timeline duration......

I am getting somewhat frustrated at being unable to just get the 38 photos to be used once over the length of the background music track having tried everything I can think of. Are there other settings I need to change, have I made a mistake?

Advice to help me solve this would be greatly appreciated as I have another 10 similar projects to do.
Quote Hi mhaffy -

No - Wave Editor is not a good tool for that purpose. You can select a range, but you cannot produce noly that selected section.

In both PDR & AudioDirector, you can select a range (i.e. one track from your multi-track recording) and produce an audio file of only that section.

The three attached screenshots show WE, PDR & ADR with the same audio in each.

Cheers - Tony

thanks for response Tony. As I suspected. I managed to do what I had previously been able to do with Nero by downloading Audacity (free wave editor software) to create individual MP3 tracks and used itunes to burn CD audio.

Pity that Power Director wave editor is so basic - looks like Nero wins re audio side of things!

Pleased with switch to PD otherwise though
I have been a long time user of Nero but, based upon reviews etc, decided to switch to PD when I bought a new PC. Very pleased so far with PD15 Ultimate and I have successfully created/burned several DVD's - transition from Nero to PD has seemed relatively easy so far on video editing side.

The Nero suite that I previously used had a separate wave editor that I used to split large audio files into separate tracks that I then saved as individual tracks and burned to CD.

Just tried to use the Wave Editor that comes with PD15 to split large audio file into separate tracks but cannot find any way to do this. I have successfully imported the audio file and can cut out the parts that I do not want, but having done this cannot see how to insert Track1, Track 2 etc in relevant places.

Am I missing something or is this something that I cannot do with PD Wave Editor?
i have just bought a new PC and loaded PowerDirector15 Ultimate for my video editing. I am new to Power Director, having previously used Nero. My new PC runs Windows 10 and has a SSD and HDD and I am unclear where Power Director saves project files etc. I really want SSD to be for programs and HDD for Data. I am planning on having my source video files in folders on my HDD which I can presumably load into Power Director for editing etc. Presumably I assign names to projects and project files are saved by Power Director to my SSD but with my source data used in the project remaining on HDD? Are project files small in size and best left on SSD rather than trying to get Power Director to save them to HDD? Does Power Director create any additional files during project work that will end up being saved to my SSD, eating into the valuable spare space?

As a new user of Power Director I am keen to get things set up properly on my new PC before starting to use the product and would really appreciate advice on the best was to configure/use Power Director on a SSD/HDD combo.
Go to: