Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Set up advice SDD/HDD Combo
mhaffy [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Jul 22, 2017 03:08 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
i have just bought a new PC and loaded PowerDirector15 Ultimate for my video editing. I am new to Power Director, having previously used Nero. My new PC runs Windows 10 and has a SSD and HDD and I am unclear where Power Director saves project files etc. I really want SSD to be for programs and HDD for Data. I am planning on having my source video files in folders on my HDD which I can presumably load into Power Director for editing etc. Presumably I assign names to projects and project files are saved by Power Director to my SSD but with my source data used in the project remaining on HDD? Are project files small in size and best left on SSD rather than trying to get Power Director to save them to HDD? Does Power Director create any additional files during project work that will end up being saved to my SSD, eating into the valuable spare space?

As a new user of Power Director I am keen to get things set up properly on my new PC before starting to use the product and would really appreciate advice on the best was to configure/use Power Director on a SSD/HDD combo.
Fayfen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2017 02:30 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Quote i have just bought a new PC and loaded PowerDirector15 Ultimate for my video editing. I am new to Power Director, having previously used Nero. My new PC runs Windows 10 and has a SSD and HDD and I am unclear where Power Director saves project files etc. I really want SSD to be for programs and HDD for Data. I am planning on having my source video files in folders on my HDD which I can presumably load into Power Director for editing etc. Presumably I assign names to projects and project files are saved by Power Director to my SSD but with my source data used in the project remaining on HDD? Are project files small in size and best left on SSD rather than trying to get Power Director to save them to HDD? Does Power Director create any additional files during project work that will end up being saved to my SSD, eating into the valuable spare space?

As a new user of Power Director I am keen to get things set up properly on my new PC before starting to use the product and would really appreciate advice on the best was to configure/use Power Director on a SSD/HDD combo.

If you peek PD prefrences you can set your defult folders there.

WIN10 will probably eat much more of your SSD than PD, and much more quickly. 7/64 I5-6600, H170M-ED3 8gb ram.
PAN-X900M
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Well, some files are created in a folder at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\Cache\ but their sizes are virtually negligible for your considerations. The largest files created by PowerDirector while editing are probly the shadow files, which you can disable, and those are saved under the folder you specify as your export one (as indicated by Fayfen).

The project files are relatively small as well while you can save them where you decide, perhaps comparing if there's any difference in performance for you, which I wouldn't expect though.

I am also using a solid state drive for the operating system and applications whereas a hard disk drive for data files. I have recently purchased and installed an M.2 solid state drive with double the capacity of my old SATA one, about three times faster, and with relatively high lifespan specification. I will sooner or later try to use it for video files while editing them as well but no experience at the moment. It's all about money, right? Hard disks are most likely to disappear quite soon, just like floppy disk drives have, but the SSD/HDD combination still makes the best economic sense to me…

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 22. 2017 13:24