Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sorry in advance, this is a very basic question (which I can’t find an answer to).

Does PD work on the same principle as Lightroom, namely are my RAW negative files left intact while any edits are kept in a separate PD library? If so, how do I locate the library? And is there a method for backing this library up every time PD exits, same as with LR?

Also, is it possible to set up a number of different detailed import profiles, which include a different set of keywords?

I’m still trialling PD with a view to switching away from LR. Do any regular users combine PD with a proprietary importer, rather than using the in built import feature? Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks v. much.
Quote Hello Mike,

I have some information which may be of use to you, though you may also find it disappointing.

PhD10 (perpetual) & PhD365 (subscription) vary significantly in the way GPS data is interpreted.

e.g. In PhD10 (perpetual) will interpret the GPS data in IPTC like:
City: Universal City
State/Province: California
ISO Country code: US

The same image opened in PhD365 (subscription) displays the data in EXIF as:
GPS: 34°8' 21.108"N
118°21' 16.518°W (which is more akin to Lr's display)
and also the IPTC data above.

The 365 version also has a click-to-view map location feature, absent from the perpetual version.

As far as transferring libraries, without having ever attempted it, I'd say that's not possible. You'd need to export your edited photos from Lr, then import them into PhD.

PIX

Ok, thanks for that. The GPS issue isnt a disaster. It just means when I export to Flickr I have to then use their maps module. It's an extra unwelcome step in my workflow. I was very annoyed with Adobe when they removed this feature (which I had paid for!) but I've sort of got used to working round it.

Exporting my edits and then re-importing them into PD means at least a full day's work. If Cyberlink could find a way to automate this process I would be much more tempted to make the switch.

Thanks again. M
I have only ever used Lightroom (Mac). I’m still using the last standalone version, but I don’t want to commit to a subscription, so I’m investigating other options.

Photodirector 10 standalone is my preferred switch.

Its a shame it doesnt have a map, although my LR map was outrageously deactivited by Adobe last year.

But am I right in saying PD10 doesn’t allow me to import GPS coordinates either?

Also, does anyone know is there a way of migrating my LR library into PD10, so that I can continue to work on all my previous edits? I think I know how to import my folders, which are full of unedited RAW images. But I can’t see a way of easily importing all my edited images.

And does anyone have any other obvious deficiencies to look out for, things that LR has but PD10 doesn’t?

Thanks. Mike.
Hi. Unfortunately this problem has recurred, only this time I can't fix it.

I completely deleted both versions, and then reinstalled v6, and I've again fiddled with all my settings, but the Importer will only show 5 thumbnails before stalling.

The Importer works fine when importing files already loaded onto my MAC, so I do have a workaround, but I would really like to be able to streamline. Anyone any idea how to fix this?
Indeed, I dont suppose many softwares are geared towards downgrading. But thanks again for your help and your super quick replies, it's really appreciated.
Hi. Think I've cracked this now.

I had earlier downloaded a trial version of v.7

After I installed v.6 I deleted v.7

Because of these problems, I recovered v.7 from the recycle bin to see if its importer worked ok. It did, but also, this recovery seemed to fix the problem with v.6!

Hopefully, fingers crossed, the problem won't recur once my v.7 trial expires.
Hi, I'm thinking of switching to PhD from Lightroom. I bought an un-used version of PhD 6 from Ebay, which I've loaded and updated to v6.0.7016.0. I'm running OSX 10.11.3 El Capitain, and I shoot RAW with a Nikon D7200.

I seem to have run into a problem before I've even got started. When I launch 'Import', with either my camera attached via USB, or my memory card attached via a USB reader, the Importer only reads 4, or max of 5 of my photos, no matter how many images are on my memory card. Even if I leave it for 10 minutes, it doesnt seem be able to produce thumbnails for more than 5 pictures.

I've tried restarting my software, restarting my computer, and formatting my memory card. I've adjusted my Import settings, including the 'exclude possible duplicates'. And I've upped my preview cache.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Go to: