Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lightroom switch migration comparison
Craig99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2016 11:07 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have only ever used Lightroom (Mac). I’m still using the last standalone version, but I don’t want to commit to a subscription, so I’m investigating other options.

Photodirector 10 standalone is my preferred switch.

Its a shame it doesnt have a map, although my LR map was outrageously deactivited by Adobe last year.

But am I right in saying PD10 doesn’t allow me to import GPS coordinates either?

Also, does anyone know is there a way of migrating my LR library into PD10, so that I can continue to work on all my previous edits? I think I know how to import my folders, which are full of unedited RAW images. But I can’t see a way of easily importing all my edited images.

And does anyone have any other obvious deficiencies to look out for, things that LR has but PD10 doesn’t?

Thanks. Mike.
[Post New]
Hello Mike,

I have some information which may be of use to you, though you may also find it disappointing.

PhD10 (perpetual) & PhD365 (subscription) vary significantly in the way GPS data is interpreted.

e.g. In PhD10 (perpetual) will interpret the GPS data in IPTC like:
City: Universal City
State/Province: California
ISO Country code: US

The same image opened in PhD365 (subscription) displays the data in EXIF as:
GPS: 34°8' 21.108"N
118°21' 16.518°W (which is more akin to Lr's display)
and also the IPTC data above.

The 365 version also has a click-to-view map location feature, absent from the perpetual version.

As far as transferring libraries, without having ever attempted it, I'd say that's not possible. You'd need to export your edited photos from Lr, then import them into PhD.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2019 05:05

PIX YouTube channel
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have only ever used Lightroom (Mac). I’m still using the last standalone version, but I don’t want to commit to a subscription, so I’m investigating other options.

Photodirector 10 standalone is my preferred switch.

Its a shame it doesnt have a map, although my LR map was outrageously deactivited by Adobe last year.

But am I right in saying PD10 doesn’t allow me to import GPS coordinates either?

Also, does anyone know is there a way of migrating my LR library into PD10, so that I can continue to work on all my previous edits? I think I know how to import my folders, which are full of unedited RAW images. But I can’t see a way of easily importing all my edited images.

And does anyone have any other obvious deficiencies to look out for, things that LR has but PD10 doesn’t?

Thanks. Mike.

My goto camera now is the EOS R which is raw 3 files and not many programs allow me to edit my raw file without having to convert them first which is a step I don't not want to do. Now I did try on1 plus because it does allow Raw3 but I found the program very laggy and slow to deal with and I run a power house system.

So then I looked at DXO and its amazing. I found it easy to edit my photos and speed is fast. I still have questions to them on if it does focus stacking. If does I am buying it

Now I did email and cyberlink with raw3 files and the 4k video I make. They even had me create a video so they can use it and look at it. I am forced to use a covertor from adobe which is free to convert my raw3 files then I can use any program but I do not want to do that I just want to load my raw3 file and start editing.

Now at the same time when I take 4K video with the EOS R camera PD will not edit them I have to use handbrake to convert the video to h.265 then I can. So since I bought the EOS R I have to do coversions before anything which I really should not have to do.

I am really considering DXO at 129.00 (OWN) because its fast and reads RAW3 files. Which Really is quite foolish of cyblerlink because when people start using other programs they tend to move away from them.

The morrow to this is what ever camera you use make sure you test which programs you will be using and if your willing to do those other steps. Now if the camera companies would just make a default rule all video in this format and all images in this format that would be great and save programmers time but not going to happen.

In my view being adobe is the big boy on the block then cyberlink needs to work harder and be more compatible with more camera not tell me go use adobe convertor then you can use us. WHAT?

I do use PD alot but I do not use there photo editing software because it does not do RAW 3 PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Craig99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2016 11:07 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Mike,

I have some information which may be of use to you, though you may also find it disappointing.

PhD10 (perpetual) & PhD365 (subscription) vary significantly in the way GPS data is interpreted.

e.g. In PhD10 (perpetual) will interpret the GPS data in IPTC like:
City: Universal City
State/Province: California
ISO Country code: US

The same image opened in PhD365 (subscription) displays the data in EXIF as:
GPS: 34°8' 21.108"N
118°21' 16.518°W (which is more akin to Lr's display)
and also the IPTC data above.

The 365 version also has a click-to-view map location feature, absent from the perpetual version.

As far as transferring libraries, without having ever attempted it, I'd say that's not possible. You'd need to export your edited photos from Lr, then import them into PhD.

PIX

Ok, thanks for that. The GPS issue isnt a disaster. It just means when I export to Flickr I have to then use their maps module. It's an extra unwelcome step in my workflow. I was very annoyed with Adobe when they removed this feature (which I had paid for!) but I've sort of got used to working round it.

Exporting my edits and then re-importing them into PD means at least a full day's work. If Cyberlink could find a way to automate this process I would be much more tempted to make the switch.

Thanks again. M