Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi,

To make this work smoothly, and for your Bluray 3D movies as well, I highly recommend an AMD APU setup for your HTPC. I have tried an Intel build but for some reason, Intel is abysmally bad in writing proper drivers for their integrated GPU in their CPUs. They update their drivers twice a year (if you are lucky) and they have for a long time ignored user complaints about non-functioning 3D playback using their chips. Look at the Intel user forums if you want proof.
So. 1st tip - stay away from Intel if you plan to use the integrated Graphics in their CPUs. It's bad for 3D.

Other than that it's not complex. You need a simple script to make Kodi fire up PowerDVD when selecting an ISO file, and in PowerDVD 16 there is only one .exe file to use. Power DVD will start up in the state you last left it in (TV mode or PC mode).

There're tons of scripts and help available on the Kodi website.

Kodi Scripts I use:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="ISO_BDMV_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true"><filename>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayISO.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args><hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<warpcursor>topright</warpcursor>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
</player>

<player name="Disc_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true"><filename>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayDisc.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
</player>

</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filename=".*\BluRay\.*|.*3D.*" player="ISO_BDMV_Player" />
<rule filename=".*DVD.*" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule filetypes="bd|ifo" player="Disc_Player"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

and....

The PlayISO.bat file:

"@echo off
Set file=%1
Set dummy=%file:iso=%
IF NOT %dummy% == %file% (GOTO playiso) ELSE (goto next)

:next
Set file=%1
Set dummy=%file:mpls=%
IF NOT %dummy% == %file% (GOTO plaympls) ELSE (goto playbdmv)

:playiso
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:~1,-25%
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
timeout /t 3
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe" E:\
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u
GOTO end

:plaympls
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:~1,-25%
timeout /t 3
GOTO end

:playbdmv
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv=%
set pth=%pth:BDMV\index.bdmv=%
timeout /t 3
GOTO end

:end
exit
"

Hope this helps. :
As a forum this is only about problems and issues with powerdvd, I thought it would be nice with a thread about positive experiences. With the latest update and running my HTPC with Windows 10 latest updates, I'm actually very happy to report that I believe its a great setup using PowerDVD as a player for Bluray files in HD and 3D. I do not use it for 4K.

My fairly simple fanless HTPC setup uses Kodi as a front-end and calls PowerDVD to play all my bluray movies which are stored on my NAS and it actually works really well. I do not use any other features of PowerDVD, but as a straight-up movie player it works.

I would be happy to elaborate on how my setup works if anyone is interested. Starting one or more user based threads with positive stories and help with actual setups would be nice. As PowerDVD is pretty much the only alternative left for playing Bluray movies (incl. 3D) on a HTPC, I would like to keep it alive.

For me, this software works - and I would like it to continue developing. I would however propose that a 'lite/core' version is made that disbands all the extra 'enhancements' like TrueTheater etc. It's all switched off on my setup.

Anyone with comments or more positive feedback with computer setups that works well with PowerDVD?

PS. I'm not associated with Cyberlink whatsoever!
Update to the forum on my ongoing service ticket:

I have discovered what it is that triggers the white pixel (so far so good).

My setup requires that I "swap eye view" to right-frame first instead of the default left. When I change that setting, the white pixel error comes up. So - most likely nothing to do with DirectX versions.

When I play with default left-frame first, there is no problem (other than 3D looks awful on my TV, as it requires I play right-frame first apparently).

This should be a good lead for CyberLink to find out what needs to be updated in the code.

FYI. I would be more than happy to test a possible fix on my setup as a beta-tester.
I sent required information on the open service ticket.

I'm suspecting that the root cause has something to do with the DirectX12 vs. DirectX11 implementation. My windows 10 system uses DirectX12, and as far as I understand, PDVD16 uses the DirectX3D API for 3D BluRay playback.
thanks.

I have contacted the support team. Hopefully they action this, as the case I put to them for PDVD15 was not resolved. Fingers crossed for a PDVD16 fix.
Hi,

I'm enjoying PDVD 16 with latest patch installed and it works really well with Kodi 16 as a launcher for my ISO backup blu-ray discs. Much faster startup than PDVD15.

One problem remains though from PDVD15. When using Windows 10, and playing a BluRay 3D movie, there is a white pixel in the upper left corner of the screen for the left eye. Really strange - it's only on the left eye stream. When using Windows 8 there isn't any problem there.

Can this be fixed please, or advice on how to get rid of this issue would be appreciated very much.

Using an AMD A10 APU setup, that otherwise works perfectly.

Thanks.
Hi Suda,

That's odd. I have a fairly humble HTPC with an AMD A10-7800 and it works like a charm, at least on windows 8.1.

Only real annoyance with PowerDVD is that the refresh-rate is not changed on my TV if the movie is a file (MKV, AVI etc.). I find that strange, and it should be an extremely simple fix for Cyberlink to implement. Perhaps in PDVD 17 new 'feature' ;
Hi,

When will the patch be out of beta and become an official update?

Thanks.
Hi,

Great stuff with an update in the works. Would it be possible to issue a list of which minor bugs that are being addressed?

thanks
Update that might be of interest. I've tried to go back to Windows 8.1 64b from Win 10 64b, and the white pixel is no longer there.

Everything now works fine with the AMD setup.
I need to concur with canachi2 as I'm experiencing the very same issue and it started when installing the new AMD Crimson drivers on my system.
It must be an issue related to PowerDVD and the AMD drivers.

Hopefully this will be fixed, but I'm not very hopeful as AMD has a long track record of poor driver software and ignoring user issues.

Hi,
Believe I've solved it. It was a simple 'swap' to right frame first that caused the eye sore : Swithed it back and 3D looks great again.

That white pixel is still there though - irritating.

BTW. I've updated to latest 15.12 AMD drivers on my Win10 HTPC.
Hi,

I have the same issue, since last week. The bright white pixel and worse, the left and right frame of the 3D image is reversed (painful on the eyes).
Last week everything was fine. What has changed.
My System is AMD, latest drivers, Panasonic VT50 plasma, Radeon R7.

Thanks if you can help with clarifying what the problem is.
Go to: