Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
This topic has been viewed by quite a few people, is nobody able to help me figure this out?

Quote It started last night when I imported and starting editing and trying to render a source MKV file. I've never had issues with editing and rendering MKV files before last night. The software will crash either during editing or crash after having only rendered for 5 minutes (and the rendering process is taking significantly longer than normal).

Who here can help me diagnose and ultimately fix this problem?
It started last night when I imported and starting editing and trying to render a source MKV file. I've never had issues with editing and rendering MKV files before last night. The software will crash either during editing or crash after having only rendered for 5 minutes (and the rendering process is taking significantly longer than normal).

Who here can help me diagnose and ultimately fix this problem?
Quote Hi Immortal -

There's seriously no advantage at all in rendering 30fps video at 60fps. I think what may be making you video choppy in playback is the low video bitrate.

Was it really recorded at 1000kbps (IMbps)? How was it recorded? If the video quality isn't too good to start with, it's hard to fix that.

There may not be default profiles for MP4 60fps, but you can easily create one by clicking the + button.

Cheers - Tony

Yes, the original videos have insanely low bitrates, average quality 640x480 yet they look like they were recorded at an insanely high quality. I have no idea what's going on, whenever I try and render exactly like the original the result looks like crap because the settings are too low.
Quote You can't make a 30fps video look smoother by rendering it in 60fps. You will simply have the same video, but in a larger, inefficient file.

People keep telling me this, however my rendered video in 60 fps looks much better than one rendered in the original 30 fps. Explain that please...
I have 29.97 original videos that I am trying to render as 59.96 fps videos (for smoother playback, 29.97 fps rendered videos come out choppy) and I'm upping the bitrate from 1,000 kbps to about 10,000 kbps (for higher quality picture). I do these manually and my rendered videos turn out very poorly. Are there default settings that will allow me to render a 60 fps, high quality MP4 file? There are no default options like this in PD 14.
Quote Hi immortal -

I never upload 640x480 videos to YouTube... except just now. They're neither mirrored or flipped.

This one is uploaded manually. This one was uloaded through PDR's YouTube uploader. Both are using standard profiles.

If you want your video to look half decent, you should use at least 720p (unless you source material is low res).

Cheers - Tony

Your out of sync audio could be caused by having Hardware Acceleration checked in Preferences - Hardware Acceleration. If it's checked, uncheck it and try again.

"blamed your editing software" We, like you, are only people who have puchased PD. We are are volunteers on this forum, it is not "our" software

Sorry for wording that incorrectly and thanks for volunteering your time to help me. Also, my 640x480 uploads are in a custom profile, could that be why they are turning out flipped and mirrored on YouTube? Also, as far as standard profiles go I noticed there are no HD options for an MP4 file, there are only 640x480 and 4K for some reason.
No matter what I try in my rendering settings, every video I produce turns out to have degraded visual quality compared to the source video and the audio is out of sync with the video.

I see people uploading the same type of videos I am to YouTube, but the quality of their work compared to what I render in Powerdirector is far superior.

Is it time I switched to a different editing program? I've exhausted all options on Powerdirector and I can't achieve any videos that have the satisfactory look I want; not to mention the out of sync audio is a nuisance as well.

Also, videos I upload to YouTube rendered in Powerdirector 14 that are 640x480 in 4:3 format are being mirrored and flipped. YouTube staff have blamed your editing software as the cause of it.
Quote hi there.

looking at your DxDiag.txt your version of PD14 could be an OEM, neutered version ...

i believe the initial release version was b2109 and yours is 14.0.1931.0.

only way to get any updates is through the bundled software seller, HP?

also your pc's cpu is under powered and you've been experiencing a lot of pain, i bet!

next pc avoid Intel U, M and AMD APU cpu's for playing games or video editing.

you'll feel alot less pain...

oh happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Here's my latest DxDiag report from today 8-12-17

I honestly don't know what else to do. I've tried everything from rendering exactly the same as the source video to trying to artificially render it in HD to make it look better and both options keep failing.

No matter what I do when I put my source video in PD 14 after rendering it comes out looking worse and with choppier playback.
Quote Hi Immortal, I'm afrais that I'm not going to be much help.

I watched the video and I saw no choppyness at all. The quality of the video was as expected -- in fact, it looed better than the original. I used PowerDVD to watch it. What are you using?

I'm honestly at a loss of what to do now. I've tried multiple times rendering a video that matches the source and the results stay the same: Worse visual quality and less smooth playback despite being the exact same file.

Is there a customer service number I can call or a ticket number I can create? I've taken my computer to two PC Repair shops in my city and both told me my PC itself is updated and shouldn't be the cause of this, they're telling me it's a Powerdirector Software issue.
Quote Hi Immortal, I'm afrais that I'm not going to be much help.

I watched the video and I saw no choppyness at all. The quality of the video was as expected -- in fact, it looed better than the original. I used PowerDVD to watch it. What are you using?

I'm using VLC, Windows Media Player and also viewed it from YouTube.

I will admit I never thought to use PowerDVD to play desktop videos.
Quote There could be many reasons why your videos turn out worse than the originals.

Go to Preferences/Hardware Acceleration and uncheck the 2 options.

Are you sure that you are encoding to the same format/frame rate/etc as the source video? Are you starting with a high definition video and encoding to a high definition output and not to standard definition? You might try using the Intelligent SVRT. if all the source videos are from the same camera/camcorder.

Again; previews will not give you thequality of the encoded video.

Here's a much better example of what I'm talking about. Here I uploaded an unlisted copy of my rendered video to YouTube to compare with the original. I rendered my video with the exact same settings as the source video. As you can see the drop in quality and choppy playback are obvious when you compare the two.

Source Video (Start it at 2:34:42 for comparison): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFaxhZj44fY

My Rendered Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYauS8KiV8
Quote There could be many reasons why your videos turn out worse than the originals.

Go to Preferences/Hardware Acceleration and uncheck the 2 options.

Are you sure that you are encoding to the same format/frame rate/etc as the source video? Are you starting with a high definition video and encoding to a high definition output and not to standard definition? You might try using the Intelligent SVRT. if all the source videos are from the same camera/camcorder.

Again; previews will not give you thequality of the encoded video.

I made sure to encode as closely as I can to the original. For this particular project my timeline was at 29.97 fps for a 30 fps video so I had to render the video at 29.97 to match the timeline cuts. Other than that I render to the same specs as the original. Despite matching everything up however the playback isn't smooth and the quality is worse despite it being rendered the same. I haven't tried it again with the new PD14 patch or with my updated graphics card so I'll do that first. If the problem persists then I'll know the issue is serious.
Quote In PepsiMan's initial reply he talked about the version number and that yours was low. Did you ever try to update the version by going to this location?

Thank you for the link; are you suggesting I update to PD 15 instead of keeping 14? Pepsiman also mentioned my computer may just be insufficient for editing so should I upgrade if my laptop is substandard?

No, you just need to slow down and scroll down to your version. You only need to update to the last patch, not all of them since the last patch contains all of the rest of them.

Edit : I see you posted another reply update while I was typing this one.

At this point, unless you do a lot of video editing (like game videos0, i would NOT suggest that you buy a new computer. Just make sure that yours is up to date, that you use software encoding (rendering) and you do NOT judge your video encoding by the previews. Encode (render) to a video file and watch that.

Have nothign else running while the computer is chugging away - not even e-mail, games, etc.

BTW, there are a lot of errors near the end of your dxdiag.exe file. You should look at and fix those.

I just ran HP Support Assistant and my graphics card was one of the things it updated so that's good news. Also what do you mean by "use software encoding"? Is that an option in Powerdirector 14 I haven't been using and that's why my rendered videos are turning worse than their sources?
Quote In PepsiMan's initial reply he talked about the version number and that yours was low. Did you ever try to update the version by going to this location?

I also noticewd that your video drivers MAY be out of date - Go to HP web site to see if they have any new drivers. Do not use Microsoft's drivers.

I just updated Powerdirector to build 4207. Is that the update you were wanting me to find?

Thank you for the link; are you suggesting I update to PD 15 instead of keeping 14? Pepsiman also mentioned my computer may just be insufficient for editing so should I upgrade if my laptop is substandard?
Quote Attach a screenshot of your Preferences/Hardware acceleration screen. Most users already know what your issues are here. I don’t want to respond at all but allow other users and contributors to reply. Your initial post is not what you claim and show in the screenshots.

Under preferences there are many tabs to choose from; did you only want me to screenshot the Hardware Acceleration Tab?

I also appreciate your responses; I'm sorry if this has been an inconvenience for you.
Quote Read this sticky: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50108.page#post_box_263488 and attach a screenshot of that popup window.

Did I attach enough relevant screenshots to help ascertain what the problem might be as well as a possible solution? Just want to make sure I didn't forget to send anything important.
Quote Read this sticky: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50108.page#post_box_263488 and attach a screenshot of that popup window.

Should be my final 3 attachments:

Working around the 3 attachments limit; here are three more screenshots:

Okay, I'm attaching all of the relevant screenshots below:
Go to: