Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
First, the blu-ray played until about 30 minutes in when Wolverine arrives at Xavier's mansion. Begins stuttering then crashes PowerDVD 14.

Restarting the player, spins up the disk, identifies the movie, the loading icon spins then stops. Cycling the tray, cleaning the disk and same thing happens. PowerDVD sits at it's home screen after attempting to load the disc.

Switch to classic mode and briefly see error message, "CyberLink PowerDVD unable to read a file on the disc." Then it returns to the PDVD home screen.

Rebooting doesn't help

Then, hours later it magically starts playing when I was loading a different movie for Windows Media Center.

Two days later, runs for 30 minutes then all the problems I described earlier.

I don't blame PowerDVD. PDVD 14 is one of the nicer iterations I've seen. Hate Friggin's Fox. I have no end of headaches with their shitty discs.
I think the problem is related to the menu system which is written in Java.

I ripped Xmen - First Class to my hard drive as a folder copy. When PDVD 12 opens and plays the folder, I have all the problems described above. The CPU usage on the first core will drop (spike downwards) if I use the pop-up menu and quickly scroll through the chapters.

I have no problems playing individual transport streams (m2ts). In PDVD12, 40% total CPU usage.
I have the same problem with Xmen - First Class on an AMD 64 X2 3800 CPU running PDVD 12
One core is pegged at 100% and the other hovers around 60%. When it spikes to 100%, the video begins to stutter.

A typical Blu-ray plays with 50% total CPU usage with Aero enabled (40% with Aero disabled)
Xmen - First Class plays at 90% total CPU usage with first core pegged at 100%. The first core stays at 100% even when paused or at the main menu. The second core spikes by about 20% every 5 seconds. This leads me to believe that the problem isn't related to video or audio decoding.

I ran Process Monitor and it is PowerDVD.exe *32. The sub-process CLhelper.exe uses very little CPU
Unfortunately I'm no expert with that software and can't figure out which specific process or module is responsible.

I can't play a few other Blu-rays because of this. e.g. Prometheus
I have and ATI 5450 video card and an AMD 64 X2 3800 CPU running Windows 7

I'm not bloody likely to upgrade my hardware or software for a few titles. I'm truly disgusted with the Blu-ray format.
Go to: