Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overusing CPU
[Post New]
I tried a bit more after I've read this thread... as I said, when you replace the menu with the speedmenu from AnyDVD HD, the 100% core usage bug doesn't happen. I suspect a bug in the menu code... could be related to the protection or not.
I guess it's really annoying when you only have an older two core CPU. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Miha [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2010 08:50 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I tried a bit more after I've read this thread... as I said, when you replace the menu with the speedmenu from AnyDVD HD, the 100% core usage bug doesn't happen. I suspect a bug in the menu code... could be related to the protection or not.
I guess it's really annoying when you only have an older two core CPU.

Yep, if nothing else the silent PC gets hot. It is sad that PowerDVD doesn't handle this situation correctly. Currently I am dealing with support asking me myriad of unrelated questions. Yes, I know, please don't laugh
[Post New]
TotalMedia Theater 5 suffers the same problem. Must be something in the "official" java code for PC based blu ray players, or something like that. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
BitBiter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2014 17:32 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Any news on this? I am using Powerdvd 13 and have exactly the same issue with Jurasic Park I (BluRay).
Any help would be appreciated.
afasdfasg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2014 17:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem with Xmen - First Class on an AMD 64 X2 3800 CPU running PDVD 12
One core is pegged at 100% and the other hovers around 60%. When it spikes to 100%, the video begins to stutter.

A typical Blu-ray plays with 50% total CPU usage with Aero enabled (40% with Aero disabled)
Xmen - First Class plays at 90% total CPU usage with first core pegged at 100%. The first core stays at 100% even when paused or at the main menu. The second core spikes by about 20% every 5 seconds. This leads me to believe that the problem isn't related to video or audio decoding.

I ran Process Monitor and it is PowerDVD.exe *32. The sub-process CLhelper.exe uses very little CPU
Unfortunately I'm no expert with that software and can't figure out which specific process or module is responsible.

I can't play a few other Blu-rays because of this. e.g. Prometheus
I have and ATI 5450 video card and an AMD 64 X2 3800 CPU running Windows 7

I'm not bloody likely to upgrade my hardware or software for a few titles. I'm truly disgusted with the Blu-ray format.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2014 20:52

afasdfasg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2014 17:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I think the problem is related to the menu system which is written in Java.

I ripped Xmen - First Class to my hard drive as a folder copy. When PDVD 12 opens and plays the folder, I have all the problems described above. The CPU usage on the first core will drop (spike downwards) if I use the pop-up menu and quickly scroll through the chapters.

I have no problems playing individual transport streams (m2ts). In PDVD12, 40% total CPU usage.
[Post New]
I'm having the same issue in PDVD 13 Ultra, so it doesn't seem to have been fixed yet. (I don't have PDVD14 to try.) I'm using DVDFab Passkey to kill BD-Live and region locking.

If I play three or four Blu-ray discs back to back, the CPU usage winds up to 100% and doesn't drop again even if I close PDVD. The only thing that resolves it is a reboot, but when the CPU usage has topped out it takes more than five minutes just for the PC to shut down.

The problem may not be coming from PDVD as such, but shouldn't it be possible for Cyberlink to do something to resolve this issue?