Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
X-men Days of Future Past 3D Blu-Ray problem
Seahawk1984 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2014 17:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I recently bought X-Men Days of Future Past in 3D, and when I play it with PowerDVD 14 (updated to latest version), everything works great, except when the movie plays. All menu functions, and movie previews show up in 3D, but once movie starts it's all pixelated with really big PIXELS!

I've tried everything I can think of, messed with all the settings in PowerDVD, to no avail.

Every other 3D Blu-ray I have works, it's only X-men that doesn't. I'm using an ASUS G750 Laptop, connected to an ASUS 144hz NVIDA 3D ready monitor.

Again, ALL other 3D Blu-rays that I have work, it's just X-men Days of Future past that doesn't

I've also tried different copies of the movie to see if I had a faulty disk, but each of them that I tried had the same problem.

Is there anyone else having this same issue with this movie?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Have you contacted the publishers of the DVD? If everything else works great and only that disc does not -- that tends to narrow it down a bit. Have you Googled for other having issues with that disc?

Amazon has stopped selling it but they don';t say exactly why:
http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Future-Amazon-Exclusive-Blu-ray/dp/B00K7IPH5I

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 25. 2014 10:38

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Seahawk1984 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2014 17:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Have you contacted the publishers of the DVD? If everything else works great and only that disc does not -- that tends to narrow it down a bit. Have you Googled for other having issues with that disc?

Amazon has stopped selling it but they don';t say exactly why:
http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Future-Amazon-Exclusive-Blu-ray/dp/B00K7IPH5I

Thanks so much for your reply.

After reading your reply I went to Amazon to see if it was still listed and if so to check out some of the customer reviews. I was able to find it and here is a quote from one of the reviews......

"I purchased the blu ray four times, would not work. I called my blu ray player company, OPPO and before I could finish the sentence he finished it for me..."the disc will not read." Apparently this is a major issue he stated and that if you own ANY blu ray player older than two years it will not play in it. Fox used some new technology which only is readable in new players, and Fox is aware of the issue. That being said, and being I was not planning on buying a new OPPO I am stuck with a DVD version. I have informed Amazon of what I was told and hopefully they will place a notice on this item"

So it does look like Fox thought they would do something 'DIFFERENT' and encode this movie different than how everyone else does it. So I think what I'm going to do at this point is just hold on to this disk, and maybe there will be some future update with NVIDIA drivers and PowerDVD that will allow us to watch the new Fox Blu-Ray format.

At least it isn't a total loss, I did get the digital copy with the Blu-Ray as well, and I did buy it used from the local video rental store. Yes, we still have one of those in my little town.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2014 18:31

x-ray [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2011 11:00 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem with X-Men Days of the Future Past 3D. I had it before with the Star Wars Saga on blu-rays, another 20th Century Fox release.... An issue that Cyberlink fixed after several weeks of intense reverse engineering or discussion with Fox to get the new decoding algorithm.
Be sure that it won't get fixed in a short time.

The funny thing is sometimes a scene with big pixels would replay clean after a simple disc out of and back in the BD driver.

Well, I already reported the issue to Cyberlink official support on friday evening. Don't hesitate to do the same. The more we are to report the issue, the more pressure we put on Cyberlink to fix this ASAP.

Because of this, I migrated this Friday from v12 to v14 for nothing...
Albatross365 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2012 14:31 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem with the 2D version. It seems to start around halfway through the movie which is roughly when it switches layers I believe.

Playing on a PC with Radeon 7770 GFx card, 8GB RAM, Athlon A8-5600K CPU

Other blus work. Happens with Hardware and Software mode.

EDIT: For some reason it's working now...bizarre

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2014 21:02

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Dust or dirt on the lens of the player? If it happens again, protect your eyes and use a slight amount of dry air to try to blow the dust off the inside of the player. Be careful, you don't want to cause a misalignment of the laser.

I'm not real big on CD/DVD cleaning discs; overuse might damage the lens. Use those only as a last resort. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
afasdfasg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2014 17:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
First, the blu-ray played until about 30 minutes in when Wolverine arrives at Xavier's mansion. Begins stuttering then crashes PowerDVD 14.

Restarting the player, spins up the disk, identifies the movie, the loading icon spins then stops. Cycling the tray, cleaning the disk and same thing happens. PowerDVD sits at it's home screen after attempting to load the disc.

Switch to classic mode and briefly see error message, "CyberLink PowerDVD unable to read a file on the disc." Then it returns to the PDVD home screen.

Rebooting doesn't help

Then, hours later it magically starts playing when I was loading a different movie for Windows Media Center.

Two days later, runs for 30 minutes then all the problems I described earlier.

I don't blame PowerDVD. PDVD 14 is one of the nicer iterations I've seen. Hate Friggin's Fox. I have no end of headaches with their shitty discs.
x-ray [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just tested the film in its 3D version with the latest version of Power DVD v14.0.4704.58.
And it got better, it's nearly watchable. It seems like they've found a solution to contain and cancel any pixel-block spreads from the frames triggering pixelisation. But it means there are still some frames with pixelisation. So it's still not perfect.
Moreover, at least 2 frames completely freeze the video rendering despite the sound goes on (at 55:33 and 1:01:40), but a simple time leap enables to jump over the freezing frames and go on with the film.

So, it proves that my request have been taken into account and they're working on it. I hope they'll find the definite solution by the next version

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2014 06:28

x-ray [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't understand how and why, but now everything is working...
I don't know what changed, I can only think of a patch that automatically came through Windows Update, which patched something in the OS... because I didn't update anything manually, not even my Nvidia graphic card driver...
stevek
[Post New]
Great ! Please change the title of this thread to indicate that is is solved (?). .
x-ray [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not the author of this thread so I can't change the title myself.
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: I'm not the author of this thread so I can't change the title myself.

Another pitfall of threadjacking ! .