Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: Yes, that's normal.

Sorry, but 23.00 frame/sec is not normal.
Quote: ...If Power DVD (what ever version) reports 23, it's actually 23.976 fps, there is no such thing as 23 fps.

PDVD actually reports it as 23.00 fps.
Quote: ...By fix up, do you mean convert the ripped video file in some way?

Yes. There are tools (that I don't use) that I think will convert peanut butter & jelly to mac & cheese (and vice-versa).

For example, start with 1 second of video, read in at 24p & sampled at 48p (that's simply doubled), thus:

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Then generate a 12p stream that's just the temporal interpolation of the 24p, thus:

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Then combine the streams, thus:

2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2

And play it out at 60p.

Now, I don't know what tools to use, and I don't know how to get them to do what I outline above, but my understanding is that all this exists. I think judder would be pretty much undetectable.
Quote: I agree it's a total mess. The PC industry seems to have simply adopted the US TV standard of 60/30 fps and made everyone else put up with it. I guess many users don't notice/don't care about juddery panning shots, but I find it really annoying.

One test I've seen to confirm frame rate involves taking a photo of the screen, running a test video, with a 1 second delayed exposure: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p

Ah! I think I see. I think you want to play BDs on your PC (laptop?) and you are attempting to use PDVD to pipe it to home theaters via HDMI. I gave up on that. PDVD is a sow's ear. I think Cyberlink doesn't care.

My recommendation is to rip (gasp!) and then do the fix-up with a tool that can handle it. Otherwise, you're just chasing your tail.

By rip, I don't mean piracy. But it's truly misguided that movie studios don't give people any alternative.

Oh, PS: The PC industry is not to blame for this mess. It's the movie studios via the video engineering standards groups.
Well, video "engineers" have made such a mess of all this, I've given up (I'm an Electrical Engineer, BS 1977).

If 120 Hz was actually 120 frames/sec, and if 24 frames/sec was actually 24 frames/sec, and if I could get my home theater to do a 5x pull-down, then all this would work. But I don't have any way to monitor what's actually happening, and if I attempt to set my home theater to output 24 frames/sec I have no way to know that it's actually doing it (and anyway, when I attempt to play the next disc, my home theater has reset it's mode back to 30 frames/sec and I have to change it back to 24). It's all too much.
Hi tcdaly,

Did I get to the bottom? No, but I think I've figured it out.

The PowerDVD programmers are truncating the frame rate from 23.976 to 23, then adding 2 decimal places (to 23.00) because they think they should.

The clue: While PDVD is playing a film with a Dolby audio stream rate of 192 K-bit/sec, it displays an audio rate is 0.1 M-bit/sec instead of 0.192 M-bit/sec.
[EDIT: ... Woops! That's my Panasonic Home Theater that does that, not PDVD. ...So, no, I don't know whether 23.00 frame/sec is really 23.976 frame/sec.]

Though Cyberlink-Hicham referred me to "our Customer Support Team", they just used the opportunity to stonewall and try to bully me into upgrading. If they gave better support, perhaps I would upgrade.

Regarding controlling your monitor's frame rate, good luck.

Kindly let me know how it goes. My monitor only works at 60Hz or 120Hz. I can't even tell whether that's interlaced only or whether its also progressive. I think morons write the manuals.
Hi Steve,

I won't trouble you with my problems, and I don't want to be negative, but it's hard not to be negative regarding Cyberlink.

[quote=stevek]Remembere that this is a users forum. This NOT Cyberlink Tech Support.[/quote]

This is forum.cyberlink.com. I assume someone at Cyberlink is monitoring it. Cyberlink essentially has no meaningful tech support.

[quote=stevek]If you want specifics about thow the program works, contact Tech Support.[/quote]

They do not answer such questions. I once asked why PDVD reports 23.00 frames/sec and got no sensible answer back. The Cyberlink tech support people don't know anything. All I've ever gotten from them are canned responses that have no bearing on the problems I've had in the past.

[quote=stevek]I have used PowerDVD for many variations and years and never had anything "trash the network).[/quote]

"Thrash"... The word is "thrash". It means that 'CLMSServerForPDVD11.exe' is generating nearly continuous network traffic. Some people call it "churning". It supposedly is some sort of server, but what it's serving and why everything still works even after I've stopped all the services listed in the Subject line is a complete mystery to me.

[quote=stevek]If you Google for those services, the responses you'l find all say they are safe but will not tell you what they do. bnut you can probably guess.[/quote]

I shouldn't have to guess. It should be explained in a users' manual. I should have a user's manual, but Cyberlink doesn't provide users' manuals. Cyberlink is an incompetent company.

Edit: Just trying to get this rich text edtitor to work properly. Like everything else Cyberlink, this forum doesn't work right.
It's been a week. 185 people have looked at this. No one has anything to contribute.

I guess that pretty much tells the story about obtaining any help with PowerDVD.
I'm surprised I can't find answers to the 4 questions below. Any help here will be very much appreciated. (I think that PowerDVD is far too mysterious -- that's one of the major things that prevents me from upgrading.) Thanks for the help.

1, What does the "CLHNServiceForPowerDVD" service ('CLHNServiceForPowerDVD.exe') do?

2, What does the "CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Monitor Service" service ('CLMSMonitorService.exe') do?

3, What does the "CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Service" service ('CLMSServerForPDVD11.exe') do?

4, What does the "PowerDVD RC Service" service ('PDVD11Serv.exe') do?

I disabled all the services (via the Services MMC plugin for #1, #2, & #3, and via the registry for #4), then rebooted & confirmed that none of them were running. PowerDVD runs fine. I played DVDs and Blu-rays.

I got interested in this when I experienced sluggish Windows & network behavior and Sysinternals Process Monitor indicated that 'CLMSServerForPDVD11.exe' was thrashing the network.
Thank you for being so patient.
Quote: Not that profile page.
Ah! The "Profile" button in one of my previous replies. Unfortunately, if I can't find one of my previous replies, then I can't push the button.
Quote: You need to create just one bookmark.
Okay. Now I can find one of my previous posts.

What a strange forum.

Thanks tomasc. I guess since CyberLink has you, it doesn't need a help system, eh?

You are the "way to get help". Hahahahahaha.........

Happy New Year.
Quote: Hello Mark, Here are two attached screenshots showing how to see your old posts and how to open them. Good luck.
My profile page doesn't look like that. And there are none of the links you have circled.

I tried to attach a screen shot ('insert/edit image'), but this forum apparently won't show it.

Ah, I see. 'insert/edit image' doesn't work. I've attached the screen shot instead.
Quote:
Quote: Just searched markfilipak..... and got 3 posts.
CS

Why would I want to search for markfilipak?? The answer of course is to click the profile button to see your posting history. I have no reason to answer him as Cyberlink - Hickman and Michael both gave him different answers. He is a linux user and don't trust win 7 as he said in the other posts. I don't want to help as nothing will change a determined mind.

I got on this forum accidently meaning to go to the PD previous version but went ahead to answer the posts here.
I don't mind giving you some answers, tomasc.

I originally posted because searching for my own name (which I DID think of) didn't work. Why it didn't work, I didn't know, but I'd never done it before and didn't know what to expect. So I posted here asking for help. I wanted to find my old posts because I discovered that I was not getting email notifications when someone answered one of my questions. Okay... Simple.

Regarding Windows, I have nothing against using Windows. I've been using Windows since version 1.2 in ...ummm... 1985 or so(?). What I don't do is allow Windows on the Internet, so I run Linux inside a virtual machine (Win7 Host) and use that to get on the Internet. Why do I do that? Because Windows is mission critical and I don't want to risk getting a virus in Windows. I've had 2 viruses: The NYC virus (which was easy to find and cure) and the Bagle virus (which is a keylogging rootkit that is used to steal bank logins, and which took me 4 months to even discover I'd contracted, then another 4 months to cure. ... See, simple and sound reasons.

I hope this has clarified things and that you won't consider me to be unworthy of help.

Regards, And Happy Holidays!!

Mark.
Quote: There is a search function: you can search for the title of your post, or for your Name. So you will find everything you've posted before.
Thanks. I searched for my name many, many times over a long period of time and didn't get any results (...not found). Today, it works.
How do I find my prior posts?

Do I search? How?

Do I use some function in my profile? I can't find such a function. Can you help me?

Thank You.
I'm looking for Forum Help that would tell me how to use this Forum. Specifically, I'm attempting to discover how I can list my posting history. I can't find my posting history or help.

Kindly excuse this message as I don't know where else I could post it.

Thank You.
As I write this thread-starter, my browser is running in a Linux virtual machine. I don't allow Win7 on the Internet because it can't be trusted.

When I click on an upgrade link, I'm prompted to save 'Cyberlink_PowerDVD_Downloader.exe'. I assume that 'Cyberlink_PowerDVD_Downloader.exe' is a downloader that fetches the upgrade.

I need to be able to directly download the actual upgrade.

Can anyone supply me with a direct link to PowerDVD 12 Ultra build 5612?

Thank You.
UPDATE: No responses, eh? ...I appologize for my difficult wording. ...I'll try again.

My PowerDVD reports "Frame rate: 23.00" (i.e., 'Settings' > 'Information' > 'Primary video attributes').

Should I believe that?

There's 24p and 23.976p. But "Frame rate: 23.00" implies 23p. How can that be?

Thanks for any and all comments, because I'm mystified.

Thank You.
Thank you for your kind response, Michael,

That there is no event log is unfortunate because the update operation provides no happy/sad outcome. I suspect that updates are failing because of the lack of confirmation when I click [_Yes_] in response to "You must update CyberLink PowerDVD now to continue the playback of this content". Let me explain... When I got this notice and clicked [_Yes_] in PowerDVD 10, PowerDVD 10 no longer would play any Blu-ray disc. Now I run PowerDVD 11 and have not gotten such a notice, but I'm concerned that when I do, PowerDVD 11 will also stop working.

I need to know how to configure 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' so that PowerDVD 11 can update. To that end, I have already created the following 3 outbound firewall rules:

1 - Allow 'C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD11\PDVD11Serv.exe'
(I discovered this via 'Windows Task Manager' > 'Processes' where it's described as 'PowerDVD RC Service')

2 - Allow 'CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Monitor Service'
(I discovered this via 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' where it's listed in 'Outbound Rules' > 'Customize Service Settings' as 'CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Monitor Service')

3 - Allow 'CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Service'
(I discovered this via 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' where it's listed in 'Outbound Rules' > 'Customize Service Settings' as 'CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Service')

Are they right?
Are they sufficient to allow updating?
Are any of them redundant?

I assume you understand and appreciate why I closed the firewall in the outbound direction. Unfortunately, doing so then requires firewalll rules to allow selected outbound connections such as those above. I asked the Microsoft Windows support forum for a method for the firewall to notify me when a program or daemon attempts to open an outbound connection and to then idenfy the program or daemon so I can write an outbound rule, but the technicians stonewalled me. I imagine Microsoft doesn't want people to close the firewall in the outbound direction. I found a freeware program that monitors the firewall in exactly that manner, but it contains a virus.

I am asking for this information for 2 reasons: 1, so other people can profit from the knowledge, and 2, so I don't unnecessarily burden CyberLink technical support.

As a side issue, Michael, when this is resolved, there's probably good reason for me to start a new thread with a better Subject such as 'Outbound firewall rules to allow PowerDVD', so that a Google search will give better outcomes. What do you think?

Thank You.
Hello,

I've had problems playing Blu-rays and suspect that the AACS keys are out of date. I don't know whether updates have worked. Before I get into Windows Firewall rules, I'd like to read the log to see whether updates have failed.

Where is the log to which other users in trouble have referred?

Thank You.
Go to: