Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I decided to update both my NVIDIA driver and the PD version to incorporate the patch for NVIDIA ver. 331.65. However, when I went to the NVIDIA site, I found they had updated their driver once again, to version 332.21 - WHQL. Anyway, I updated to both the latest versions, checked the preview window, and rerendered the test file -- and found there was no change in the outcomes from what I described in my original post. I am including an updated zip file with the new DxDiag files in them, just to confirm the changes I have made.

One other thing I noticed, was that the NVIDIA driver site says that my GeForce GTS 250 video card does not support DirectX 11 -- however, DxDiag says that that is what I have installed in my machine, DirectX 11. The NVIDIA site picked the appropriate driver for me automatically (as it has basically done all along), and there was no error message about DirectX 11. Maybe it just means that I have some DirectX 11 capabilities in Microsoft's installed software that my GTS 250 can't take advantage of.
I have PowerDirector Ultra 11 (build 11.0.0.3230 - SR # = VDE130812-01), Win7 Prof., 64 bit, Intel i7 CPU, 2.93 GHz, 6.00 GB RAM.

I'm having trouble rendering a movie which is a combination of .mov and .VOB clips. The preview looks good (after I rolled back the NVIDIA driver). The .mp4 rendering [640x480/30p (6 Mbps)] results in flickering in spots. I reduced the problem to combining 2 short source clips with different original video formats:
A.mov: file type MP4, video type H.264 AVC, 4.29 Mbps, 1280x720, 30 fps, progressive
B.VOB: file type VOB, video type MPEG-2, 5.24 Mbps, 720x480, 29.97 fps, interlaced

Rendered separately into separate movies, there is no problem. However, when combined into a single movie, there is flickering that occurs in several spots in the A.mov portion of the finished movie.

I thought that PD would be able to edit video clips from different sources and render them into a single output file. Since that did not work, I tried to render the .VOB file into a .mov file using PD, and then import that back into the workspace, in order to then combine files with more similar attributes, but that did not work even before rendering. It froze up my system when I tried to import the new .mov file into the library to join the previously loaded A.mov file, and when I imported the new .mov file into a new empty project (which worked better), there was an error message when I tried to drag it into the editor timeline workspace: "Media Source Error [Error COde2]: A media file in your project may not fully comply with the file format standard, or your system amy lack the required decoding components for this file. Please try again using another media file format." I was surprised to get this error, from a file output by PD itself.

Thank you for any help you can offer concerning this problem. If you need any more information, I will try to provide it.

David Silverman
deardavid0@gmail.com

Note 1: I am attaching MediaInfo files for the original sources of A.mov (11-02 Memorial.mov) and B.VOB (VTS_01_3.VOB).
Note 2: I just now found the update to PowerDirector 11 to build 3625 to
improve compatibility with NVIDIA display driver version 331.65. It would have saved me many hours if the PD update had come out sooner, or perhaps if I had seen the update earlier, because my previously good preview had stopped working, apparently after I upgraded my NVIDIA driver to 331.65. I finally discovered that that was the cause, and I rolled back the NVIDIA driver to version 9.18.13.3158. This is how I have run all my tests with PD described above, with the previous PD build 3230. I don't want to change anything now, if it's not necessary, since the PD update only seems to affect the NVIDIA driver issue, which was corrected when I rolled back the driver. I have run multiple tests and spent many hours reducing the problem to the form described above. If necessary, I can update the NVIDIA driver and PD version and rerun the tests, if you think that might be a pertinent factor.
Whoops, looks like I submitted my question to the wrong forum. I will go through the proper channels and procedures for susbmitting, and submit again, if I have not already solved the problem by then...
I have PowerDirector 11 Ultra. I have about 50 photos that I want to make a slideshow of, with cross transitions between each one. I dragged a fade transition onto the end of the first photo, clicked on 'fade' again in the library, then clicked on 'cross transition' at the bottom. Result - first transition is a cross transition, but all the rest are overlaps.
I tried again from scratch, undoing all the transitions. Clicked on 'fade' in the transition library, clicked on 'cross transition' and it makes all of them overlaps. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'd like to be able to fade to black on the previous photo, then fade in from black on the next photo, and have complete control over the rate of fading in and out, and might even want it to remain black for a period of time between photos. I think I may be able to do that by inserting postfix and prefix transitions, and maybe using your color board feature. I can research how to do that later, but would like to know only if it's actually possible to do what I want in PowerDirector, for multiple photos at once.

Thanks. David

Note: I also did the same thing by clicking on the little 'Library menu' matrix icon at the top, which displays similar menu choices, and, unfortunately, leads to the same results. I've read the Help articles about transitions, and searched through the forum posts, but can't find the answer.
I'm a new user to PowerDirector (I have PowerDirector Ultra 11), but right off the bat, I find I cannot sync two clips together on separate tracks, at least not easily (I've been trying for about an hour and no luck yet). It would be easy if the video and audio parts of the track would move together, similar to the way you move sound clips in the Audacity audio editor, but they don't. Clicking on the timeline scrubber does refresh the audio waveform, but it changes the view of everything, and seems to leave unpredictable results. If I replay the track to get them synced again, then I'm at another location -- still no good. Also, I can't zoom to a single frame by frame level. The best I can do is 5 or 6 frames to one thumbnail, and then the zoom doesn't work anymore. It would still be usable if the audio wave form refreshed along with the video frames on the timeline. Also when I move the view along the timeline with the cursor key, the audio completely flatlines, until I stop, and start playing the video again or click the scrubber. I've been moving one clip that I'm trying to align to a certain spot in the primary track, for about 15 min over and over, but most of the time, even though it looks like it's moving, it never seems to wind up having moved versus the primary track.

As you can tell, I'm getting frustrated now, and may not be thinking clearly...!

If anyone knows of a solution or a workaround for all this, I would be happy to hear it. David

P.S. Worked some more and found that by 'View Entire Movie', I was able to see more what I was doing. I was not moving only the clip, but also a vertical timeline bar which must have brought the other primary clip along with it when I was moving the secondary clip. When I selected the secondary clip outside the timeline bar, the secondary clip moved independently, with a yellow rectangle showing the way, and bringing the audio waveform along with the video. I also then found I could move the clip one frame at a time using Alt + Rt or Left Arrow keys, and again the audio waveform moved along with it. Perhaps this was fixed in PD 11. I must have been selecting the secondary clip incorrectly before. Anyway, I got the clips synchronized, and it wasn't that hard, once I got it figured out. I also turned off some other programs which were running simultaneously, which might have used up needed resources, and that probably helped. I have an Intel i7 CPU running at 2.93 Ghz, with 6 GB of RAM. Things are still not working 100% for me, especially with regard to finding my way around to different places on the video, but I think most of it now is a learning curve on my part. Thanks for letting me vent!
Go to: