Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ive got a new computer with a gtx1080 on the way. I had been working on a 10 year old deaktop that finally gave up the ghost, so Im looking forward to seeing what the newest and greatest is capable of. Ill report back with my experience.
Just tried out the Adobe software, and though I definately do not like the interface as much, it does handle 4k 100 bit flawlessly. The strange thing is that Adobe does not seem to utilize the dGPU either, but even so 4k video shows up on the timeline and edit smoothly. I dont care as much about rendering time as I do being able to edit 4k in a fluid enviornment. They have obviosuly been able to optimize the cpu and onboard intel graphics, so i hope the Powerdirector will eventually as well. Until then, PD has lost a customer, as I want a finished product that works and doesnt require file manipulation.
Quote: it works perfectly on my laptop using 970 nvidia. I just follow the instructions from POWERDIRECTOR staff. It permits to select nvidia as gpu for PD14. I have no crash.

you will only get crash if you select INTEL fast rendering when you use the nvidia GPu.

I can told you that it is a complete different world now with fast rendering and 970gpu at 100% load. just check my other post.

I am using PowerDirector 13 and those instructions seem to be for PowerDirector 14
Quote: Those drivers are a totally different issue (for pre-Kepler gen cards), is not related to laptop issues that you have.

You want things to work smooth? Don't use a laptop for video editing. All other NLE's have issues with laptops and the GPU (hardware) acceleration.

Yes, I do want things to run smoothly, and I believe that modern laptops should be able to handle video editing. I find that these days, I only have time to work on video editing while I am away for work and a desktop is not an option. Downloading a trial of Adobe Premiere and will report back shortly.
I just got a new laptop msi gs40, which has a 970m graphics card. I just installed PD13 and I am unable to force PD to use the dGPU using the NVIDA control panel. I have tried to go the PD exe file, right click and force it to use the dGPU, but that does not work either. I dont believe that I can roll back to the previously named (1.5 year old?) drivers as they are not to be used on Windows 10 machines.

One thing for sure is the PD is mistating that their software works with these newer generation cards on their specs page. I am unwilling to manipulate files that will cause crashes in other parts of the program as an alternative.

I will be looking for another video editing platform that is able to utilize the dGPU in my laptop. A shame, as I have spent the last couple of years getting to know the PD platform and have liked it very much.
Go to: