Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: Can somebody please come up with a well working software out there. Or is a dedicated Blu-ray player the only answer?
There is few ways to get open source softwares to play main movies from bluray disc, but if you wan't menus and extras, proprietary software is the only option. I'm not comfortable to give your direct instructions or names since this is PowerDVD forum, but I'm sure you'll figure out good words to put on Google.

And there is of course hometheather hardware players, which are many times easier to deal with than PC stuff with ridiculous DRMs.
A known bug. Contact tech support as informed in this pinned topic in this forum. Don't bother reading too seriously the replies, the support will provide correct help just in few working days if you are patient.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27357.page
I got same answer: link to that test build and CD key.

This time it wasn't direct ftp link, but it was instead http protected with htaccess or similar unlinkable authentication.

My own PDVD11 key was full, not upgrade, but I didn't try it since support asked me to use new one.

But the result is that it works for my discs. Only funny thing is that it shows my BD region to be A, but the disc is region B and it didn't ask me to make a change. I have no region A discs, so I cant test what they would say.

While waiting the answer I did install those Windows updates that was scapegoated before, and they had no effect. They didn't solve the problem nor did make it worse. I'm still convinced that it was instead PoverDVD specific DRM expiration issue, until someone proves otherwise. I watched a bluray with trial-version of a different providers bluray software and it hadn't got any problems.

But the problem is solved in my case and I keep using this PDVD11 for an another year.
One of the other blu-ray softwares still works, so I must assume it is not problem with Windows update but Cyberlink PowerDVD itself.

And since that Albatross365's test version doesn't work for everyone and it is behind protected ftp, it must be DRM issue. Did Cyberlink's blu-ray key expire by accident? That could make sense that they somehow tied in cd-key and that hidden key in PowerDVD 11 and older so thigh that they can just send one universal patch so easily and have made a more modular authentication system in version 12.

I would accept if they explain the reason to be something logical like this, but I don't like when fairly expensive paid software just stops working. I had planned a movie night with recently bought Batman trilogy in blu-ray, but instead I had to watch old tv-shows via Netflix.
It is weird that PowerDVD 12 already have got a patch for over a week, but we who have previous version have to contact tech support individually.

And the second thing is, I have not installed Windows updates since January 7th, so can the problem really be there? I'm quite sure I have watched a blu-ray after that.
Go to: