Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 11 Workaround for Error Code 800401F9 / Access Storage drive - Workaround
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
When I try to play a Blu-ray Disc I get the following error messages: “CyberLink PowerDVD cannot access the storage device.” & “error code: 800401F9.” What should I do?

Symptom

After Feb. 20th 2013, CyberLink PowerDVD 11 pops up the following two error messages when trying to play a Blu-ray Disc.

“CyberLink PowerDVD cannot access the storage device. Select another device when playback stops.”

“Error code: 800401F9. Error in the DLL.”

Cause

There are some program compatibility issues between PowerDVD 11 v3318 patch and the Windows Update released in Feb 2013.

Solution

Please download this hotfix patch of PowerDVD 11 Ultra v3901 to resolve BD playback issue.

http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/powerdvd/11/Ultra/PowerDVD.11.Ultra.Hotfix.v3901_DVD130301-02.exe

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2013 03:36

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Albatross365 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2012 14:31 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Could you please respond to the ticket I have already opened about this issue.

Ticket ID: CS001236960

Thanks
weakset [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 11:46 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
It is weird that PowerDVD 12 already have got a patch for over a week, but we who have previous version have to contact tech support individually.

And the second thing is, I have not installed Windows updates since January 7th, so can the problem really be there? I'm quite sure I have watched a blu-ray after that.
Noguffay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2011 19:34 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Glad they didn't "LOCK " this thread yet. They've locked the other or "others" I'm sure to prevent any futher bad press. I'm of the same opinion, I too, have not received any MS Windows updates for over one year. I've turned off MS critical (and "all") updates. The only updates I manually request are MS Security Essentials, which are virus protection only. Does not make any sence to suggest that MS is to blame, and if they are, how did I get an critical MS update without my knowladge? Something stinks here. Who's being subversive here MS or Cyberlink?

I hope this opens a really big can of worms, because something's not right here.
gn2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 13:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Why isn't the information POSTED ?

What is the big secret ??

Why is this restricted to those PowerDVD customers who can produce items that very few people keep, ie. receipts, etc ?

Is this a veiled method to force disorganized users to "upgrade" ?

More importantly, WHY ISN'T THIS WORKAROUND POSTED FOR ALL TO SEE AND IMPLEMENT ??

Noguffay [Avatar]
[Post New]
This might be a "Drage Net" business methodology. Not just for "disorganized" customers, but for some of the more "questionable" use customers, let's say. There may be some collateral damage.
helpless user [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 07:05 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Still waiting for response on my ticket too.
If they have a workaround, why am I still waiting for help?
The paying costumer is again the idiot. Why do i even bother to buy a license for a software?
Noguffay [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Still waiting for response on my ticket too.
The paying costumer is again the idiot. Why do i even bother to buy a license for a software?

What kind of drive were you using when the incident occured? Was it a "Hardware" BD drive, a "Hardware" DVD drive or a "Virtual" BD/DVD drive?
Albatross365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
They can ban me if they like but:

We are working on a patch to fix this issue. The formal patch is scheduled to be released before May and I would like to provide PowerDVD 11 Ultra build that has recently passed our basic testing. This latest build will fix your BD playback issue.

Please select "yes" to proceed installation when the installer prompts message to uninstall existing PowerDVD11.

Please download the testing version of PowerDVD11 Ultra v3901 full build below:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CD-Key: Use your own CD-Key.

Don't know why they can't make this public.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 09. 2013 20:03

Noguffay [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: They can ban me if they like but:

We are working on a patch to fix this issue. The formal patch is scheduled to be released before May and I would like to provide PowerDVD 11 Ultra build that has recently passed our basic testing. This latest build will fix your BD playback issue.

Please select "yes" to proceed installation when the installer prompts message to uninstall existing PowerDVD11.

ftp://429:SGHVFISQ@ftp.gocyberlink.com/PowerDVD11

Where did you get this and why is it not sent to everyone waiting on a ticket reply for this issue? Please tell us where you found this?
helpless user [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 07:05 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Still waiting for response on my ticket too.

What kind of drive were you using when the incident occured? Was it a "Hardware" BD drive, a "Hardware" DVD drive or a "Virtual" BD/DVD drive?

Hardware bd drive and I submitted my dxdiag and the screenshots to the support. Since then, silence.
Now i can't play even the old discs that worked befor, so I can wait or uninstall DVD11 and reinstall the old version like I did 2 weeks ago. Wouldn't say a thing, if they didn't post that they have a workaround and I should contact the support.
Now I feel like an idiot. Spent hundreds of Euros for blurays and software and wonder why.
grog1138 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 26, 2011 18:53 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
LOL! Before May??! Game of Thrones Season 3 will almost be over before I can watch my Season 2 Blu Ray set.

It's not Microsoft's fault. I have Windows XP and I did not do any updates with it.

I refuse to use the workaround because I PAID for this product to Blu Ray. All of a sudden it's not working? And there's no permanent fix? Why did I pay for PowerDVD 11?

Definitely why so secretive and why the workaround? Why not a patch? And why is it taking it so long to come out with a Ver 11 patch vs Ver 12? Why are the paying customers the ones suffering? You know Cyberlink, the pirates are using your software freely with no problems while you're making your legitimate customers look like idiots (yes Cyberlink Michael, I'm talking to you too). I think it's time for me to jump ship. I've been with PowerDVD for a very long time (maybe almost 10 years now) and sadly Cyberlink's business practices and customer service has deteriorated. What did I pay for? Probably a headache and a raise in blood pressure. For the sake of my health and my paycheck, it's been real PowerDVD. Maybe I'll see you again sometime.
Albatross365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Where did you get this and why is it not sent to everyone waiting on a ticket reply for this issue? Please tell us where you found this?

I got this in a reply to my support ticket which I had to ask for in my first post in this thread.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2013 02:56

Noguffay [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why have they not just made this a sticky thread for all to see, and/or sent everyone waiting, with the same ticket issue, the solution you so generously have shared at your own personal expense? I know, Who knows, right?
Noguffay [Avatar]
[Post New]

XXXXXXXXXXXX

As I suspected, this does not work, At least for me. I had PDVD 11 Ultra installed and did the install of this download, and followed the instructions. Reentered my passkey for PDVD11 Ultra, and it does not work.

Sorry guys/gals. I, and Albatross365, are all just a little too anxious to help.

Noguffay [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I got this in a reply to my support ticket which I had to ask for in my first post in this thread.

I suspect that each and every individual will have to get this, simular solution (as did Albatross365), sent to them, as a "official" ticket reply, inorder for it to be tailered to each customers passkey.

weakset [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 11:46 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
One of the other blu-ray softwares still works, so I must assume it is not problem with Windows update but Cyberlink PowerDVD itself.

And since that Albatross365's test version doesn't work for everyone and it is behind protected ftp, it must be DRM issue. Did Cyberlink's blu-ray key expire by accident? That could make sense that they somehow tied in cd-key and that hidden key in PowerDVD 11 and older so thigh that they can just send one universal patch so easily and have made a more modular authentication system in version 12.

I would accept if they explain the reason to be something logical like this, but I don't like when fairly expensive paid software just stops working. I had planned a movie night with recently bought Batman trilogy in blu-ray, but instead I had to watch old tv-shows via Netflix.
Albatross365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It doesn't even work for me.

I give up. I've already defected to TotalMediaTheater anyway.

Doesn't muck up my screen resolution when I play SD extras.

I don't believe their BS about a Windows Update being the problem. It went from being able to play BDs to not being able to play BDs in the space of a couple of hours and no update was downloaded.

Good luck folks.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 06. 2013 19:43

Noguffay [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is very disturbing info. What the heck are these guys doing? I'd be on this like stink on poop. This is a runaway train headed for disaster. How can this get this far out of control? Like, you couldn't ask for a more perfect storm, to unleash a torrent of a smear campaign. I'd be bending over backwards to stop the leaks. Unless this is all expected and accounted for and the collateral damage is manageable. Be sure, they've done their statistical analysis. Complacency is on their side.
Dakkith [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 07:35 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
This is ridiculous. Paid customers are being treated like criminals.

I've provided them with my proof of purchase and serial number, but I'm still waiting on a response to my second support ticket. I just want to watch blu-rays with the blu-ray playing software that I purchased - is that too much to ask?

It's been two weeks now. I certainly won't be recommending Cyberlink products to any of my family or friends in the future.