Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Depending on how your new laptop was configured at the factory, the Videos, Docs, Photos and Music libraries may already be set up on OneDrive but you may want to move them and the OneDrive folder to the D: drive to keep them safe if you ever need to format or restore your C: drive. This is a good plan even if you don't use OneDrive.

You might actually need to create a logical D: drive if you only have a single large C: drive, and there are many online articles showing how to do that as well as how to move library folders from their default locations and how to relocate the OneDrive master folder.

I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering if it makes sense to create a logical D: drive on the new laptop. If the C: drive fails, so will the logical drive, correct? Is there another benefit I'm missing?
You might actually need to create a logical D: drive if you only have a single large C: drive, and there are many online articles showing how to do that as well as how to move library folders from their default locations and how to relocate the OneDrive master folder.

I'd strongly recommend getting those all set before installing PD and any other major programs so they'll start off with the storage landscape already set 👍

I've already installed the programs, but haven't used them yet. I will uninstall them, and then research how to create a logical D: drive. That sounds like a great idea.

Do you, in addition to keeping everything on OneDrive, keep originals on C: in photos? Do you create separate folders for your project files?

Thanks for your suggestions, Optodata!
I bought a new laptop (yay!!) and now need to start the process of moving everything over to it. I haven't been terribly consistent with the file locations of various projects and photos and want to change that going forward.

I would love to hear everyone's method for storing their: photos, project files, edited photos, backups, etc.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Quote At first glance it sound like maybe something's wrong with that specific project.

What happens if you use Save As and try again? If that doesn't work, reopen the project, click on the timeline and type Ctrl+A to select all content. Then create a new project and paste the old project's content on the timeline and save that. Are you now able to import new media clips?

Hi Optodata, as always, thanks for coming to my assistance. I just realized the problem - I'm trying to import from my GoPro, not my computer. yell I THOUGHT that's what I did with the original files, but I must have imported from my pc. I just imported another file to this project and it worked. smile
I am able to import media to a new project, but unable to add new media to that same project. I follow the same process, and select the new clips to import, but nothing happens.

I'm importing from my GoPro Hero7 Black.

I would appreciate any suggestions on troubleshooting. I just updated the software to 19.6.3016.0.

Here's my dxdiag.txt

Thanks!
Quote Unless you have space issues, I would recommend letting the Cyberlink Application manager decide where to put the software and the templates. That is the most easy and secure way of working. If you have a space issue on your system disk (usually C: ), I would recommend looking for a larger C:-drive, since you are reorganizing your PC as it is.
And I would never “install” install programs on a freshly installed Windows computer by running a restore. That will not work, or not work in the end. Use the normal installation procedures.
I'm sorry, I should have said that I used CAM to install the software, and installed on C. It sounds like those were good choices.

Quote I would recommend to using internal drives to hold the media files of a project during the editing at least. And also depending on the importance of the project and whether you expect to be reusing and/or reediting the project, I would recommend to pack the project materials when you are done in a separate folder, that can easily be retrieved (even if you put it away on a backup external drive), and you are sure that all project material will be there.

With my restored files now sitting on the internal SSD in a folder called Volume{1277c657-e66b-4d34-aa66-8c03fa0e9b41}, I'm concerned about existing projects and getting them in the correct spot to avoid messing them up. I packed my most recent projects, so there's no trouble there. However, my older projects I didn't pack. Do you know what will happen if I just put them exactly where they were before?
I recently erased my laptop and reinstalled Windows. Everything was backed up on an external hard drive before doing this.

Now it's time to restore everything and I would like your tips on the best placement for my PD & PhD files and programs.

When I restored from the backup, I chose D: for everything. Now all of my files are sitting in a folder called Volume{1277c657-e66b-4d34-aa66-8c03fa0e9b41}.

I reinstalled the CyberLink programs to the C drive.

I can easily delete everything and start over. I'm looking for the best/most effecient way to do this.

Additionally, do you have a favorite way to store your files? For example, make folders for each vacation and sub folders for edited files, or originals from a specific camera? Where do you store your project files?

I hope to get this done in an organized fashion (for a change! LOL) so I have consistency with all of my projects.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
Quote A side by side video of the restored normal speed 2 min 38 sec. Is shown here on YT with a 3rd party app. comparison. The diver part of the video at 1:15 looks salvageable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJhNHI-_qQ .

Thank you Tomasc! The 3rd party app's results are a lot easier on my eyes, that's for sure. It's kind of a fun look haha! What is the app you used?
Quote Steps to convert time-lapse clips into individual frames so transitions can be added to soften the jumpiness:

1. Start a new project with 4:3 aspect ratio and a 30 fps timeline. Under the Pref > Editing section, set image durations to 0.2 and transition durations to 0.1 sec (these are actually too long but it's where we need to start)

2. Place the unintentionally-time-lapse-recorded clip on the timeline then go to the Produce page

3. Use these settings and make sure you have PD set to automatically load all produced clips into the media library:

4. After producing/converting the original clip, select all media library images (except the source clip) and drag them to the timeline

5. Go to the Transitions room, select the Fade transition then right-click on it and choose Apply Selected Transition to All Videos on Selected Track > Cross Transition

6. To set the correct durations, zoom in on the timeline and click on the first transition. Drag the horizontal timeline scroll bar until you reach the end of the content, then hold down the Shift key and click on the final transition to select all of them

7. Click on the Duration button (clock icon) above the left end of the timeline and set the value to 0:02 or 0:04 (or any other number smaller than 0:0, then click OK to apply the setting to all selected transitions

8. Select each image in the same manner, then set the duration for all to 0:08

You can now preview the timeline and select all transitions again to try different durations. Note that you shouldn't set the transition duration longer than the clip duration or PD will eliminate the transition on alternating clips.

Use Undo/Ctrl+Z when needed, and be aware that it may take a minute or two to undo the hundreds (or thousands) of individual changes.

I don't know if all this work will be worthwhile for you, but it should let you use at least some of this jumpy footage.

Optodata - I'm overwhelmed by all the work you have done for me, you are so kind! I'll print your instructions and get to work on it tomorrow. I appreciate your hard work very much!! **Edited to say - I just followed your instructions, then realized you gave me the packed project. Oh well, it was good practice! I'm opening your project now.
I have a few short clips which were accidentally shot in Time Lapse mode on my GoPro Hero7 Black. yell
I slowed down the clips in PD but they're jumpy. Is there a way to smooth them out? It's some nice underwater footage that I really want to use.

Here's the unedited version of one of the clips. I tried using the "insert/edit video" option but it didn't work - I copied the link below in the Source box. So here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYwfb5nclqAJwb0YHaVRDP6lz9iVxQ7O/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for your help!smile

Hi,
For what it's worth:
I used to spend a lot of time travelling and diving in "semi-remote" parts of the globe. Using a laptop for heavy video editing will always be a compromise, but possible. I also had a dedicated desktop system back at home, but if you're away for several months it doesn't count!.

I needed a laptop that was able to deal with video editing and run of the mill business stuff, no gaming or anythng like that. Back in 2011 I went with an Asus 36s. My criteria were weight - has to be carried in a drybag all over the place from dayboats to motobikes to bangkas. It had to be strong enough but didn't need to be "rugged". It had to have a decent processor but more important was battery life, and it had to be cheap enough to be lost/stolen/destroyed without me crying.
One thing was more crucial in my choice - all my UW cameras were able to white balance with one push, so my colour correction needs (therefore heavy processing) were minimised - but still needed occasionally went it all went wrong!

It weighed in at just over 3.5lbs with the 8 cell battery (7-10hrs life), never let me down and is still beside me on the desk now. I don't travel so much these days, but it does travel wherever I go. I upgraded the HDD to an SSD a while ago but no other mods/upgrades - other than glueing the battery pack together when it split!

I never used the optimus technology for the GT520M just the native QS.

So my advice would be to balance the real life day to day needs like battery life, weight or whatever, depending on your travel and remoteness, rather than on maxing the processing power to gain a few mins/hrs (unless you're being paid to meet deadlines?) After all, that's what travelling is about - spending time wisely, so go and have a beer, swim or meet folk whilst its processing!

Editing sound on a ultra thin laptop is not a good experience without headphones. I used a set of folding Koss PortaPro lightweight headphones and they too are still sitting on the desk, the original ear pads went in the humidity, but replacements are an easy fit.

Best of luck!
Adrian

"Leave nothing but bubbles"

A fellow diver! Adrian, you're an angel for giving such an appropriate response given my diving needs. I have a lot to think about now, and will use your experience to help with that.

I would love to know some of your underwater editing methods (i.e. do you use LUTS? What are your favorite settings in ColorDirector, PD, etc.?). If you are willing to share, would you send them via message so we don't redirect the topic of this thread? Unless that's allowed, then post them here LOL!
You have to know that laptops are the worst long-time purchase?

No, I did not know that.
A desktop doesn't suffer from any of that.

I can't travel with a desktop. Thank you for your suggestions.
SoNic67
The i7-6700HQ is still a decent CPU, performance wise is at about 65% of newer Intel CPU's.
That's very good to know!
Are you able to select the GTX960 while encoding?

As I recall, I could select the GTX960. I'm not positive about that though.
StevenG, thanks for your reply.

1) What type of video do you edit? Camcorder video? Phone video? What resolution and format?

GoPro Hero7 Black - primarily underwater photos and video - NTSC - 2.7K and 4K - .mp4
Cannon 40D - Hi-resolution - JPEG - sometimes RAW

2) How much do you want to spend?

I want to stay under $2,000. However, my goal is to have a laptop that will last longer than the 4 years my Dell 7559 has lasted, and will be powerful enough to edit my underwater videos with ease. I'm open to spending a little more. I will take it with me on future scuba dive trips, so it has to be light weight. Current laptop is around 6 pounds, and it's a bit heavy in my opinion.
My Dell 7559 laptop is likely dead. The motherboard is dead, and a replacement hasn't been found yet.

I'm shopping for a new laptop now - would you please suggest the CPUs and GPUs that will improve upon my 7559 (specs below) for editing with PD, PhD, and Color Director? Anything else you can think of that will help the programs perform better is also appreciated.

I know technology has come a long way in the 4 years since I purchased my laptop, and I'm lost.
Thanks in advancelaughing

I'm not able to edit my signature so here is the current version:

DirectorSuite 365 | Power Director 19/365 | Photo Director 12/365 | ColorDirector 365
Win10 Home | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Gz, 2601 Mhz, 4
Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Intel HD
Graphics 530 |Dell 0H0CC0 | 119GB SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 128GB (SATA
(SSD)) | 931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA)| NVIDIA Virtual
Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Quote The easiest part to answer is your signature. Click on My Profile at the top of the page then scroll down to the bottom. You won't be able to change your avatar (if you wanted to for any reason) until you reach 50 posts, though.

As for slow rendering, I've got some bad news. The change from the i7-6700HQ (in your current signature) to an AMD FX 870K was a big step down in computing power. The minimum recommended benchmark for working with PD is 10,000, and 20k or higher is really needed for 4K videos. Having a barely 3k CPU is going to be miserable unless you're doing simple edits.

The other issue is color correcting. No matter how powerful your system is - CPU, GPU, RAM, SSDs - it takes a terribly long time to produce clips with any color presets or Color Look-Up Tables (CLUTS) applied. They're very computationally intensive and the task has to be done by the CPU, so more cores and higher computing power is the only way to make a difference.

You may have slightly different results with Color Director so you should also try that, although the difference won't be 1 hour vs 18.

I'd be happy to run your project through my 32-core, 39k-rated CPU and see how long it takes. If you'd like to share it with the forum, use Pack Project Materials and upload everything to a cloud folder on One Drive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.

If you'd prefer to not share it, send me a PM and I'll give you an upload link to my OneDrive account.

• That's actually a bit of a relief because the better computer is my laptop and it's out for repair. I'll wait until it comes back to continue working on them.

Thanks for letting me know about things that slow it down.

I just upgraded to Director Suite so I could get Color Director. I think everything will look a whole lot better on my laptop😉
That's quite a computer you have!! Thanks so much for the help.😊
I have some concerns with PowerDirector. It's possible that I have something set in such a way that is causing all of this.

I'm editing underwater videos and it's become very time consuming and tedious because the playback is extremely slow, and the quality is poor. It seems to be jumping from frame to frame, rather than smoothly playing. I can't tell when I have the colors the way I want them, because they look so different while playing the clips. I just rendered (I think that's the right term) approx. 8 min of video and it took 18 hours or so. Is this normal??

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm trying to remember how to edit my signature - I currently have PowerDirector 19, and am working on a different computer than in my signature. Processor: AMD FX (tm)-870K Quad Core Processor 3.60 GHz. Installed RAM: 16 GB
Hello!

I just upgraded to Director Suite 365 and it's time to play with ColorDirector! I would love suggestions for editing underwater videos - maybe your favorite settings, or LUTs (I haven't investigated them yet), or training videos, or anything else you have used to enhance your underwater videoslaughing

Thanks so much!!
Quote I'd make a copy of the Templates folder(s) just in case.
I didn't see this part of your message before I deleted everything, I hope it will be oksealed
Since you've deleted all the CL apps ,I think you can safely remove the Cyberlink folder under both PF and PF(x86), then go ahead with whichever approach you want to use that I've outlined above to reinstall the apps and content packs.

Good luck!
I've deleted everything. I downloaded CyberLink Application Manager and installed it. I'm able to login but then all I see is the Application Manager screen with nothing on it. Do you have any suggestions on that one? I've uninstalled and redownloaded/installed a couple of times. Nothing. I used Revo Pro to remove everything associated with Application Manager. Thanks!!
Quote Weird, I responded 20 minutes ago but I just checked and the post is gone! Hopefully this one will stick.

Everything in the D:\ProgramData\Cyberlink folder tree is safe to delete. Go ahead and either set the App Manager to install on your D: drive, or recreate the C:\ProgramData\Cyberlink <==> D:\ProgramData\Cyberlink junction and let it install everything to the default locations (which will really be on your D: drive)

It came through this time cool

Ok, I'll delete D:\ProgramData\Cyberlink
Should I leave everything remaining in the 2 Program Files folders?

That's completely your call!

You can change the installation folder in the App Manager and make sure everything gets installed where you want to begin with; or you can manually recreate the 2 junctions for the top level Cyberlink folders in the default C: locations for PF and PF(x86) and let the App Manager run with the junctions redirecting all of the installation files and content.

There's no right or wrong, so go with whichever seems easier or makes the most sense for you.

Ok, thanks, that's good to know. Would you mind taking a look at my document, I added a screenshot to the bottom. I just want you to see the files that are still on my D drive after uninstallations. I can run that other program you mentioned if need be, but I want to verify that all of it should be gone. My xxx.phd files are safe in other folders on D:smile
Go to: