Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Once you dig out that PhD installer, an uninstall/re-install will be needed.

PIX

I thought I replied last night, I guess I was wrong. I downloaded and ran the uninstall program you mentioned before. I do not have the install files anywhere. I deleted them out of the trash bin also. I don't know what to do from here?? Maybe I should think about a refund (if it is possible) and just go with the yearly suite for $100.
Quote What camera(s) are the RAW files from? Model? What format photos?

Have you been able to locate your PhD8 installer file?

PIX

Canon t5, i think it is cr2 format. I haven't been home yet to check.
Please confirm whether your version is Ultra or Deluxe. You can check under Help > About CL PhD.
PIX

Thats what I was thinking at first, but it does say ultra.

It certainly doesn't appear to be related to your particular files, since they're probably regular formats. Are they JPGs? Could you possibly attach an example photo which does not have gradient/radial adjustments available?

PIX

They are actually raw files. That wouldn't matter would it? Also, this was an upgrade from a previous version. Where do I go to download version 8?
Quote Hello Jason,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

That's an unusual problem & I've not seen it reported before. Are the gradient mask & radial filter adjustments greyed out for all photos, or only that particular shot?

Are they available, for example, when you select one of the sample photos provided with PhD? f you've removed them from the library, they can be imported from C:\ProgramData\CyberLink\PhotoDirector\8.0\Sample Images

PIX

It is greyed out for any photo I put import in. the adjustment brush is also mostly greyed out. the only options I have are the brush/eraser tool at the top. Everything below that is greyed out also.
Hi, im new to photodirector and photography in general. I just got photodirector 8 and am working with a image of my daughter. The problem I am having is adjustment selection, gradient mask and radial filter tabs are greyed out and I can't use them. I don't know enough about the program to know what is going on. Is it the image causing it? Is it something I am doing? Any help would be helpful.
It seems a lot of people skirt this question. Is an AMD card better than a Nvidia card? It seems that a 960 or 1060 is optimal, how about a 860?

No real skirt, it really depends on your needs so not necessary a one stop valid answer. As far as GPU capability, really about the same. But heat, power consumption, .... multiple other factors that tend to differentiate for those interested in such items. As far as the ASIC IP block that performs video encoding and also decoding, I'd say Nvidia has a the edge there and has for several years, especially in relation to PD. So, some of use use the GPU's and base desire on rendering speed, quality, compatibility with PD, and for that Nvidia NVENC ASIC engine appears much more compatible than the current AMD VCE engine and PD. Flawless encoding with NVENC and PD, certainly not.

860? No such thing, only a 860m version for the notebook world and I'm not a big fan of such for editing.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. How about a 760? is it safe to say the 60 series is best for editing?
Quote:
Quote: Based on what you've found what hardware would you recommend for 4k editing in PD? Is there any performance improvement for 4k in PDR15 to justify the upgrade?

I don't use your constantly promoted MagicYUV editing approach in PD so can't comment on any potential PD15 improvement for your 4K/MagicYUV workflow approach.

You can always give the trial a ride or purchase and use the 30 day money back guarantee, http://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356 or buy a 3 month subscription to evaluate.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I meant what hardware (CPU, GPU etc) for 4k editing without using MagicYUV.

Al

It seems a lot of people skirt this question. Is an AMD card better than a Nvidia card? It seems that a 960 or 1060 is optimal, how about a 860?

I have a core i5-2400, 8 gb ram, 650 ti gpu. That hasn't been cutting it in the video editing department. This is what I would like to upgrade my system to. Core i7 3rd gen, 16 gb ram and an optimal gpu, whether it be amd or geforce. Any thoughts?
Quote: Jab73180, since your OP was about timeline playback fluidity and GPU actual load with 2.7K footage vs 1080, a my experience would indicate a GTX960, 970, 980 will make no difference there vs the 650ti.

For 2.7K or 4K, H.264 or H.265 footage, PD14 did not utilize the GPU for timeline decode playback as near as I could resolve, even if decoding of these formats was supported via GPU capability. Yes the GTX960 has better decode ability relative to 970 or 980 but only applicable for codes that take advantage of it, PD14 was not one as near as I could tell. This was clearly shown here http://forum.cyberlink.com//forum/posts/list/25/45503.page#236759 some time ago as well as other posts.

The issue reported there has been addressed in PD15 (a few supported cards tested to date, 960 and 1070) and also covered in the PD15 spec with “nVidia, Intel & AMD H.265 (HEVC) Hardware Decoding ENHANCED”. http://www.cyberlink.com/products/director-suite/compare-versions_en_US.html I guess maybe enhanced means that decoding now works as previously advertised.

Your option of simply letting the shadow files generate and then continue editing with the lower resolution timeline for fluid playback is one of many approaches and works effectively.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.
Quote: (2.7k - 2716x1524) is still larger than 1920 x 1080 and according to the previous post should not process..... Do I have this right?

It will process, just takes a while and you have to use shadow files. I don't know about 4k though.
Quote: What is that "2.7K"? 2160p is called commercially "4K" (because it has 4000 horizontal pixels or because it has 4x more pixels than HD or just for marketing reasons):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Anyway anything over 1920x1080p is more than what that Kepler generation card can process in hardware. Maxwell 2 and newer (like the GTX 960 or GTX950) can go up to 4K (means also anything in between).

I get what your saying, but 2.7k and 4k are different. 2.7k is 2716x1524. 4k is 3840x2160.
Quote: gtx 650ti doesn't do any resolution over 1080p, that's the main problem.
GTX960 is what you need for 4K. Not 970, not 980...

Well, that's not in the cards for a while. I'm only going upto 2.7k right now any way. Thanks for the heads up though.
So, the cineform idea didn't work well for me. The new hard drives work great though. I bought 2 4tb western digital red drives and installed them into my desktop via windows storage spaces in a 2 way mirror. It works great. Eventually I will get an ssd drive for my boot/applications drive which will speed things up.
To get over the laggy preview problem, I just use shadow files. I start them before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning they are all created. I guess thats the easiest way. Thanks for everyones help.
Quote: welcome to the forum.

see this 4K video editing -> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49413.page#259885

similar to what Ken480 is doing, i use 1080 FHD 17- 24Mb/sec downscaled 4K videos of the master.

substitution method works very well.

Eugen157 explains how to use Shadow Files to ease the pain. similar but PD is converting it.

in my experience PD struggles with 1080, 2.5k, & 4K videos with higher than 50Mb/sec bitrates.

with PD, i couldn't edit 200 - 300Mb/sec bitrates...

for me preplanning the video edits then convert'em before going to bed is key to using PD sucessfully.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Thank you
So, with a little more searching I have found that no matter what video editor you use, the higher the resolution, the more stuttering you get. The answer is to change the codec to cineform or equivalent. File sizes will be bigger, but editor will be happier. Is this what magic+pd does? or is cineform better?
I just ordered 2 wd red 4 tb drives to add to my desktop. I will have them setup in windows storage spaces in a 2 way mirror for redunancy. I should be able to edit til my hearts content then.
Thanks for the help.
Quote: Lastly Magic has shown promise and 4k files tested ran smooth. Don't know if a processed 2k file can work on the timeline with regular hd as shadow files are not used on the AVI files Magic creates. You would need to process all the files. The big downside is file size is multiplied by TEN.

Good Luck

I forgot about the 10X file size issue. I definitely can't do that then. I guess shadow files are my best bet then. I will read up on shadow files to make sure I understand them.

Thanks for the help.
Hey everyone, new guy here. I have been using PD14 for a while now for 1080 files but recently purchaed a drone that I film in 2.7k. I also built a new to me desktop with a dedicated gpu thinking this would help me as my laptop didn't have a gpu. My current settings are shadow files off, real time preview with high resolution. The weird part is when I use the cam app to monitor my system while editing, 1080 footage works with the gpu, the 2.7k footage does not. 1080 footage uses 20% cpu and 20% gpu while the 2.7 footage uses 50% cpu and 5% gpu. Is this normal? I would think that 2.7k footage would use the same relative percentage of cpu/gpu as 1080, just higher. Then hopefully it wouldn't be so choppy.

I have tried this work around and it didn't help one bit. I have seen the magic+pd solution, but really don't want to add another step. Should I just wait for PD15 to come out and hope it fixes some of the issues with the gpu? Does powerdirector even use the gpu like it should? I get conflicting answers when I look it up on the forums here. What does powerdirector use the gpu for?

My system is older but I thought it would have a fighting chance at video editing. It has a core i5-2400, gtx 650ti with 4 gb ram, windows 10 home. The thing is, it nevers gets bogged down. i haven't seen it over 50% on anything. Even my laptop with a 4th gen core i7 with no graphics card at all hit 100% while editing 1080.

So, I don't know what to do. Is there some settings to change, wait for PD15 or just jump into magic+pd?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Go to: