Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Damn - beat me to it again!

I was going to say the fonts are anti-aliased, which is nothing to do with any system font-smoothing and at small point sizes look soft on a computer screen, but fine when rendered.

Andrew
Hi there!

In that case, we're back to my stock answer of the day (see the thread on slideshows) and that is to render the layers you have to an mpeg and then use that as your base to add more.

Regards

Andrew

Quote:
Quote: Depending on what you want to do, you could add a second layer in the PIP track.

It will initially be set as a smaller screen within the first video track but double click on the PIP video and you can resize it with the grab handles and also set the overall transparency or use chromakey key to key certain parts of the image "on" to the base video by select a colour via the colour picker.

Andrew hello there !

You got my question wrong I guess. I asked is it possible to add more than 1 Video layer over an above teh main Video layer.;ie, add 3rd layer - 1 main layer, 1 PIP layer and another layer over an above these 2
Not possible, I think is the short answer. The design of this format is obviously limited in the number of slides it will take before dissolving back to the base image as you say and adding another set.

The only workaround I can think of, and it would be a lot of work, would be to use the PiP feature to add one image at a time on a suitable background, render it, then use the resulting movie as the base to add a second etc, etc. Not something anyone would want to do I think!

Sorry, I haven't a better answer!
Depending on what you want to do, you could add a second layer in the PIP track.

It will initially be set as a smaller screen within the first video track but double click on the PIP video and you can resize it with the grab handles and also set the overall transparency or use chromakey key to key certain parts of the image "on" to the base video by select a colour via the colour picker.
Hi Trent

OK, in that case, just use any still picture you have on you system, preferable one with plenty of detail. All you're trying to is see if any artifacts are created when you render some transitions on the image. The moving image of the aquarium.mpeg makes this much more difficult to detect.

Andrew
Hi Kintara

Very strange. Just as a matter of interest, how are you creating the fade in? Also, when you zoom in to maximum and look at the audio graph, can you see the fade in from the very start, or does it only start slightly later in the timeline?

Thanks

Andrew
Try a simple test:

Take the Tulips jpeg which appears in the media folder when PD6 starts up, drag it on to the video, add a text effect and make it fade in and out.

Render this as an MPEG2 file at DVD HQ quality and look at the results in the media viewer (no need to make a DVD). If the tulips are nice and clean, no pixelation then there's no problem. If there is, then you need a set of files which at the moment Cyberlink support can provide and which replace some of your current encoders.

Regards

Andrew
Aye!
Unfortunately, although the above workaround appears to work when previewed, the actual rendered movie still has a clunk of audio before the fade in starts. In otherwords PD6 cannot work with the first few frames of audio.

The only workaround that is successful for me is to insert a coloured board, say black, before the video clip and then insert a video fade transition. That way you get a fade up from black, and the audio is automatically faded up too.
Update:

Clean install on my desktop did not help on this so I suspected there was a hardware issue, probably processor-related.

To cut a long story short, Cyberlink, via Dafydd, have supplied new encoding files which have successfully solved the problem and confirmed there was an issue with Athlon processors (including my 2600+).

All is now well with beautifully clean and stable images produced on the final movies.

I'm so pleased, I bought the company - well, the software anyway.

Thanks to Dafydd, again and to Cyberlink support.
Update:

As the dear leader was not able to replicate this problem, I decided to install PD6 on my laptop, fairly clean XP partition.

I too did not have any problem - video was smooth as anything.

Now also installed on Vista partition, with Nero also running (suspected clash), but still no problem.

So it's back to the drawing board with my desktop which must have something clashing with the mpeg encoder or such like. Hope I don't have to do a clean install to get round this....

Many, many thanks to Dafydd for all his help on this and the other issues I have raised. What a helpful and friendly forum!
Post removed as the method described does not work.

See next post.
Somehow I can't do this. If I use the audio line below the clip and try dragging the start of it to '0' the point just bounces back up again. On the audio mixer, the fade option is greyed out, until I move the time line on. Then I can fade it but only starting at that point, not from the very start.

Aargh!
Update:

I went to take two screen grabs on PowerDVD to show the difference in quality between PD6 and Nero 4 and was struck that although the PD6 grab is slightly less good quality than the Nero 4 one, the real difference is only visible on the moving version. In other words it is the encoding from frame to frame which is showing up the pixelation, which I should point out is an otherwise mostly unchanging frame, which is making it looking bad.

Don't think I explained that very well! Frame 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc are all fairly much (some change of onscreen graphics but the basic busy grass background is the same) but the compression on each frame has been done differently so the artificats on Frame 2 are in a different place than on Frame 1 etc, and so when run together produce a "shimmer" of pixelation on their own.

Does that make sense?
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have done a little more experimentation.

Firstly I should have said the source is a DVD recording of a digital satellite programme, recorded via RGB in. I take your point about the bitrate which I have confirmed on the file itself as 7 MBps.

It must therefore be an encoding issue since the AVI equivalent file doesn't show the same artifacts. I have confirmed this by carrying out a similar experiment using Nero Vision: fade up from black, caption in and out on the same material and note there is nothing like the blockiness on the finished result. Unfortunately the result on PD6 is extremely blocky indeed and very noticeable, even on a TV screen.

This is extremely disappointing since PD6 has all the features I require (and which are missing on Nero Vision).
Using PD6 Trial at the moment and finding that, even with DVD HQ selected, the rendering quality is poor. Fade up from coloured background to clip with "busy" image (e.g. grass) then fade in and out of title at the bottom of the screen is all noticeably more pixelated than the original capture file. Tried rendering to .avi file and no problem at all with quality so it definitely seems to be the encoding. Once past the effects, the smart encoding kicks in and all is well.

Does anyone using the full version notice this, or has it been corrected. Any comments/help most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Go to: