CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I tried opening my main project this morning, like I do several times a day, and to my surprise, it opened! I Exported Photos in approximate 1000 picture groups, until I got 9,180 saved with tag and face data. I then tried to Export the project but that failed to save face data. I used Backup and when finished there was no face information in the backup. And now the main project will not open. Still waiting on Tech Service.
R6 - Select for Photos with error (they have the yellow triangle and "!" in top right side). The error typically occurs when the location or name of the original picture changes. They show up as errors when you try to Export Selected Pictures.
I do have a Support Ticket in Tech Support. They have been very cordial but can't figure out the problem. When I updated my graphics driver at their suggestion, things seem to work as far as opening projects, but Project Export and Backup would not save face data. They had me re-install PhD (same version but a newer build). Since then every Project I open gets corrupted. I've lost all copies back to a project where I have less than 800 pictures.

I am waiting on a new release before I start building back my main project. I will use the Export Selected Photos capability that I just posted about.
Select pictures, right click on picture and pick Export Selected Photos ( or go to File/ Export Selected Photos), on the Export Photos Menu pick your location and sub folder, pick "Use unique names without warning", and most important pick Naming Format "File Name". If you selected all your Project pictures by selecting Pictures All, then Ctrl A, you will get a copy of all your photos that include the original name, tags you assigned, and faces you picked that are "People" in the jpeg file details.

Here is the best part, Start a new project, and import the file ( subfolder where your new pictures are located). The new project contains all the pictures with the tags. Then comes the best part. Select all pictures, then click on "Tag Faces". The program will run and then come back with a message that no faces were found. But check out the Faces list and you will find that all your face data is restored to your Project.

I did this with 8,430 pictures, the only problem is that I had not selected "File Name" so I lost all my original picture names. Further test on smaller projects with "File Name" proved successful.

This is how you can combine projects and keep all tags and face data. I wish I had known about this last week before my large projects were corrupted. I would have saved pictures in groups of 500 - 1000 then I could reassemble my main project. This might be a good use of Albums. One down side is that you do lose your original Folder, but I include the folder as a tag on Import.
Is there a program that can recover a project that does not open? What program can open the *.db files in a project? PhD pop ups a message that the project is being checked, but then it crashes.

Project Copy #9 12,240 pictures started crashing after I tried to backup project, and Export Project (failed to copy face data) using PhD4 v3926 that Tech Support had me to install on 8/22.
Project Copy #8 9,094 pictures opened but after trying an Export Project ( failed to copy face data) will no longer open. It did successfully Export Selected Pictures (7 pics)
Project Copy #7 8,430 will open but I don't dare try to backup or Export Project.
I have not lost any pictures but if I start with copy 7 then I have to import, tag and face about 400 pictures again. And it looks like the odds are good that the new copy (10?) will fail.

So that's why I'm looking for a stand along program to check and fix a project.
Spoke too soon. Reinstate R5. It does provide a popup with the option to backup, but there is no way to get back to program. An option to return to program is needed.
Well you can forget suggestion R5. If you go tools/project backup area. Select the option to remind to backup on every shut down. Then when you quit it will popup and ask if you want to backup. I hope you can get out of the popup without quitting. I'll have to try that.
PS I'm up to 9,094 pictures.
Well the fix did not last long. On the 3rd try it crashed. I tried 6 more times, doing various things. Then I had to create a dump file for Tech Support. With the Task Manager going, I started PhD to get a snap shot of the process. Lo & behold, it loaded and ran just fine.

Since I suspect a problem with the faces database (Export and Backup still don't work) I select "Unknown Faces" and since I don't have any, no pictures are displayed. Then I shut down. This is working right now.
PhD suggestion R5;

Popup on Shut Down "X" that would give options to "Really Shut Down", Backup first, return to program.
Tech Support told me to update my graphics driver and that seemed to have fixed the problem, at least PhD has started twice okay.
Submitted a question to tech support-
Question ID = CS001285895
Disappointed to hear about possible size issue. At 1.2gb and 7,800 pictures I'm only halfway there.

Tried to insert the dxdiag.txt but got an error on submitting. Will try to sent first page.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/16/2013, 12:30:38
Machine name: REELTRIPP
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p7-1254
BIOS: Ver: HOL_715.ROM vHOL7.15
Processor: AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7666MB RAM
Page File: 3475MB used, 11856MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
I have been getting more and more program crashes as my picture count goes up. I'm at 7,575 now. I have been filling out the popup error report with exactly what I was doing at the time and included my email address.

I think there is a problem with the Faces database getting so large, mine is about 250 mb. Backup will not save my Faces file and export will not save it either. I have to backup using windows to copy the project folder. So far I have not lost any data (knock on wood), and I have had success by opening a small test project, then using Project Open to open my main project. After a couple of unsuccessful trys I will reboot my PC. Each crash generates an error report. I had at least 20 today. Is anyone looking at the error reports? Do I need to keep filling them out? Is there a problem with large projects?
I don't use the Flag marker so I can use it for subset. If I want a subset of just face "Alton" and nobody else I select a face that is in "Alton" pictures, Use Ctrl A to select all, then Photo/Mark as/Flag. I flag all the faces that I want to NOT be in the final subset. Then I pick Face "Alton" and set the filter to "Flagged". Now my subset contains pictures with Alton only. This same method can reach across types. You can flag a Tag then pick an Album and filter out the flagged pictures. Just remember to reset the flag off when you are through.
PhD Suggestion R4;
Remove from selection key combination. Example: Ctrl+Alt+pick of a tag, would remove all photos with that tag from the current selection.
PhD Suggestion R2;
<alt> + pick; for making selections in Albums, Tags, and Faces that would function like a "AND" logical operator. Like the <ctrl> + pick makes a selection as an "OR" function now. Example; <Alt> + pick tag "June", <alt>+ pick tag "Vacation" would create a selection of photos that were tagged both "June" & "Vacation". Photos tagged "June" but not "Vacation" would not be in the selection.

Phd Suggestion R3;
Also fix it so multiple selections (ctrl+) can choose from Albums, Tags, and Faces. Now it will only select in one category. Proposed example would be to pick Album "2012", Tag "Vacation" and Face "Rob". This selection would include all the pictures of Rob on vacation in 2012.
Thanks. I'll add a suggestion.
I'm importing photos into Albums (2012, 2013). My photos have tags like "07 Jul", "08 Aug" for the month they were created, and "Ocracoke", "Shack" for location (plus several more). I want a selection of all the pictures in July of 2013, but I get all the July pictures from 2012 and 2013. I was able to get the selection by Exporting to Project - Album 2013, then "open project"
the new project. Of course the PhD has to stop and restart but it does give me all the July 2013 pictures. There's got to be an easier way.
I'm new and read through the whole manual but stumbled on the fact that you can add multiple tags in a selection by using the ctrl key. Works for faces too.
Hotkey for "Add Face Tag". Ctrl+F would be good. And it would really be great if the frame was started at the mouse location.
I found it. I had to be in "Show One" mode. Thanks for the help
Go to: