Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
There is another 4K SDR disc - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Does anyone tested it with PDVD?
Hello.
I have PDVD 19. When i try to play UltraHD BD "Color Out Of Space", PDVD show few intro trailers and when movie starts there is no video, only audio. This disc is UltraHD but video is SDR. Other "normal" UltraHD discs are played back fine.
Is anybody have same issue with Color Out Of Space?
Hi
PDVD is crushing blacks in HDR videos. To tuning my set up for HDR content i am using test pattern from Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc. Here is the link to that pattern and video how it looks on my set up https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1knW4_z5-ajaoDW5CmMkH_PSwV5TJHheV?usp=sharing
As you can see only black level 68 and above is visible. Levels 67-65 is merged with reference black level 64. While MPC-HC + madVR show all levels till 65.
Also pay attention to levels 70, 72, 79 and 80. This levels is much darker then one to the right. Must be vice verse.
I've allready contacted Cyberlink support and they said this is not a bug, this is feature. Just letting you know that PDVD is doing something with HDR videos and this is not good for picture quality.
Hi!
I need Your help to tune my PC for playing UltraHD BD.
Here is my settings for playing SDR content:
Driver settngs:
Display-Quantization range - Full
Video - Input range - Full
TV settings:
Black level-Low (limited)

With this settings there is no black crush or white clippings, also no bandings.
When i try play HDR there is bright whites, black blacks and nothing between them. I can't see sh..t in the shadows. To get watchable picture i have to set both ranges to limited and set blak level to High in the TV. This is very strange settings.

What video driver settings and HDMI black level in the TV do You use for watching UltraHD BD?

I have PDVD 19. Latest video driver and Intel graphic command center. Windows 10 1903.
Hello
I've contacted cyberlynk support about this issue (I have PowerDVD 19) and they answered today, that this is not a bag. this is feature. I congratulate everyone on this.

Thank you for writing to us back.

With reference to your concern, after further checking with the engineering team, because at technical-wise the audio playback mechanism of DVD-Video disc and Blu-ray video disc are different, per current program design, the audio setting will not keep but restore to the default "PCM decoded" output mode to ensure the maximum audio playback compatibility on HDMI audio output interface after you switched the playback from DVD-Video disc to Blu-ray video disc.

If you keep on playing multiple Blu-ray video discs without playing a DVD-Video disc in between, the audio setting of HDMI output mode would keep not changed on the whole playback session.

It's the current program design.

We have escalated the suggestion (keep the audio setting respectively for Blu-ray and DVD video disc playback) to the product team as product development reference.

Hello.
I need your help to confirm or refute the bug.
I start PowerDVD in fullscreen, start playing DVD and PowerDVD exit fullscreen and go to windowed mode. I have to switch it to fullscreen mode again manually. This happens only with DVD, BD plays in fullscreen.
Here is the video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qkJeIfmsSCt5sF3fGObLwNXiCJiZZJrf/view?usp=sharing

To reproduce this bug, follow this steps:

1. Start PDVD
    2. Start DVD playback
    3. Enter fullscreen mode
    4. Stop DVD playback
    5. Close PDVD
    6. Start PDVD
    7. Start DVD playback
    8. Window size shoud change...or not.

Here is another video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aY93Lv5un-hLzl5ovI2Cy25oqn8n0M_e/view?usp=sharing

I also have PDVD 14 and it plays DVD normally without changing window size.
Cybrlink support answered that 10bit color supported only with hardware decoding and HDR. With software decoding there will be only 8bit.
But, personally, I don't think there are any values to test this specific clip that oddly encoded 8 bit and 10 bit content into single one.

The second test pattern made by Spears&Munsil. I think this guys know what they are doing
http://spearsandmunsil.com/about-us/
CQ2.0, what is diagonal of your TV? Maybe you see steps because of huge display. There is 256 steps in 8bit gradient and 1024 in 10bit.
Quote My playback result is that both upper half and bottom half have steps in powerdvd.
And, the steps at 8-bit bottom half is more noticeable.

The result is the same in powerdvd, potplayer and VLC.
No issues.

This means that your system cannot output 10bit colour right. 10bit gradient should not have steps. This is one of the reason why 10bit was invented.
On my system i see 1 or 2 bandings, but no steps (MPC HC).
Here is another test pattern
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtKqx5PpFumGgvcICdHmAlfkT3_3eg?e=VTvBbG

I'll contact Cyberlink support and report back here later.
Quote Turn on the HDR option on Windows to check it out, .

Can't do that. My videocard does not support HDR.
Hello

Can anyone play this file in PDVD?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtKqx5PpFumGg54a1o5CL19wdveKgw?e=Kdx1fj

Its a gradient, apper half is 10bit, bottom is 8bit. If everything is working fine, then upper half should be smooth and bottom has steps.
In my system PDVD cant output 10bit colour. Both upper and bottom halves has steps. They are identical.

MPC-HC on my PC plays 10bit videos with no problems (upper half is smooth).
Quote "Release 418" is the latest version driver NVIDIA supports 3D, not "version 418".
I can play BD3D with my NVIDIA graphics on my PC in pdvd 19.

It is not pdvd, it's your pc.

You can play 3d with geforce 720?
Quote Try update your NV driver to the latest one that supports 3D:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/79193.page

If the problem persists, contact their support.

Driver 418 is the latest with 3d support. Besides problem exists for couple of years now. PDVD12 can do 3d with old drivers and with new one. Its not the driver, its PDVD.
Hello
When i play BD3D with PDVD19 my TV switch to 3D mode but video actually is 2D. PDVD12 plays 3D as it should.
I have GeForce720 with 418.81 driver installed, Win10 Pro 64.
As i remember i had this issue with PDVD17 and 18 as well.
Thank You, man, for reporting this to Cyberlink. This "bug" was in PowerDvd since forever and it so annoying to go to setting every time after switching discs type.
In PDVD19 BD plays with HD sound after switching from dvd. But DVD still plays with PCM after BD. There is definitely improvement
List of supported formats does not change either i play HD sound or not.
When PDVD plays PCM 2.0 i can change volume in the program. Is it normal for PCM passthrough?
Hello!
I can't get PCM 5.1 passthrough to work correctly. When i select "Non decoded hd audio ..." in PDVD settings it outputs PCM 2.0 (pic.1). If i select "PCM decoded by PDVD" it outputs PCM 5.1 (pic 2). So PCM 5.1 output is possible, but only decoded by PDVD, not passthrough.
I have NVidia GeForce 720 with latest drivers. Earlier this spring i had same problem and i solved it by installing latest (at the moment) drivers 397.64. After that i was experimenting with Intel integrated graphics and when i return to nvidia PCM passthrough broke again. This time i can't get it fixed.
Go to: