Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I default sound output mode for Blu Rays and DVDs
Shanks80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2015 15:56 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
All,

I play DVDs and Blu-rays with PowerDVD 18 on my HTPC. I am passing audio over HDMI to a sound processor connected to a 7 channel amp. Thus I need the output mode to be set correctly for each mdeia type or else the surround sound doesn't work:

For Blu Rays, I use "Non-decoded high definition Dolby digital/DTS"
For DVDs, I use "Non-decoded Dolby digital/DTS"
Issue 1: When I switch to DVDs after playing Blu rays, power DVD defaults to "PCM decoded by PowerDVD".
Issue 2: When I switch to Blu Rays after playing DVDs, power DVD defaults to "Non-decoded Dolby digital/DTS".

This clearly seems to be a bug or maybe there is a way to force the preferred output mode for each media type? Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820-K
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack | Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
Shanks80 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does no one else have this issue? This clearly seems to be a bug that Cyberlink should fix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 14. 2019 23:01

Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
Shanks80 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cyberlink Support has reproduced this issue and found it to be a bug. They will fix it sometime in future and haven't provided a date for the fix. Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
IceCool [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2012 16:37 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Thank You, man, for reporting this to Cyberlink. This "bug" was in PowerDvd since forever and it so annoying to go to setting every time after switching discs type.
In PDVD19 BD plays with HD sound after switching from dvd. But DVD still plays with PCM after BD. There is definitely improvement
Shanks80 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank You, man, for reporting this to Cyberlink. This "bug" was in PowerDvd since forever and it so annoying to go to setting every time after switching discs type.
In PDVD19 BD plays with HD sound after switching from dvd. But DVD still plays with PCM after BD. There is definitely improvement

Correct. This bug has been around since forever. I have PowerDVD Live, so I have used every version since v12.
v19 has other issues passing through bitstream multichannel audio with UHD discs and Cyberlink told me that it isn't officially supported (I have a thread here in the forum for v19). So I had to revert back to v18, as it works a LOT better with UHD discs and passes Atmos/DTSX to my sound processor. Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
IceCool [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2012 16:37 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hello
I've contacted cyberlynk support about this issue (I have PowerDVD 19) and they answered today, that this is not a bag. this is feature. I congratulate everyone on this.

Thank you for writing to us back.

With reference to your concern, after further checking with the engineering team, because at technical-wise the audio playback mechanism of DVD-Video disc and Blu-ray video disc are different, per current program design, the audio setting will not keep but restore to the default "PCM decoded" output mode to ensure the maximum audio playback compatibility on HDMI audio output interface after you switched the playback from DVD-Video disc to Blu-ray video disc.

If you keep on playing multiple Blu-ray video discs without playing a DVD-Video disc in between, the audio setting of HDMI output mode would keep not changed on the whole playback session.

It's the current program design.

We have escalated the suggestion (keep the audio setting respectively for Blu-ray and DVD video disc playback) to the product team as product development reference.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2020 14:40