Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My new installation of PowerDVD 16 opens and plays all of my movie/video files with no problem when they are selected from WITHIN the program.

However, if I select a file in Windows Explorer and select "Open With" PDVD 16 nothing happens.

I have selected PDVD 16 as the default player in Autoplay but this makes no difference.

I have upgraded to every version since PDVD9 and have never experienced this problem before.

Also, if I select "open With" PDVD 15 insted of 16 the files play perfectly every time.

Is this a known issue and does anyone have a solution?
I've managed to fix the problem with a simple workaround.

Install PowerDVD 12 version (or patch) 1618 from around Feb 2012. Your current version will be uninstalled..do not save personal settings when prompted.
Open PDVD, activate and then click on the update arrow..top left corner.
Install the latest update.
Should now be OK.

I believe a Microsoft platform update a week or so ago "broke" PowerDVD12.
I found that I had to go right back to early 2012..the August version didn't fix the problem.

I experienced the same problem with PDVD11 too so maybe reverting to an early 2012 version will fix that too.

Let me know if it works.
Cheers,
Carl

TheDudeiswatching may be right.
Before Cyberlink de-activated my version of PDVD12 I tried installing it on a laptop which hadn't had any recent Windows updates..and it worked.
Unfortunately I then uninstalled it as I continued to work on fixing my desktop pc version so now I don't have PDVD working on either of my pcs.
So this may point the finger at Microsoft as the cause of the problem.
Whatever the cause, I think Cyberlink needs to get their act together and stop keeping its customers in the dark.
I should have added that I have tried to revert to PDVD11 while Cyberlink sorts it out and although activation is not a problem, I'm still experiencing the other problems and the same error messages..so it seems to have affected all PDVD versions.
I cannot play Blu-Ray or DVD ISOs with any version of PowerDVD.
Fortunately, I also have TotalMediaTheatre5 installed on my PC and this is working PERFECTLY. (Take note Cyberlink!)
This problem is not just with PDVD11.

I have the same problem with PDVD12 Ultra and despite trying evrything I can think of I cannot fix it and am now awaiting a response from Cyberlink Customer Service.

Everything was fine until about a week ago when I got the message "PowerDVD cannot access the storage device" when trying to play a blu-ray iso. I'm also receiving the message "PowerDVD does not support the playback of this media format" which is followed by "PowerDVD could not launch because some of the components appear to be corrupted" and I advised me to uninstall and reinstall which meant also reinstalling PDVD11 as my PDVD12 was an upgrade version.

Reinstalling didn't fix it, nor did System restore. In fact I then encountered another problem as the Blu-Ray region changes counter had reset itself to "0" even though I have never used any of the permitted 5 changes.

To add insult to injury, having uninstalled and reinstalled several times, following Cyberlink's instructions and activating it each time, I was greeted with the message "Activation amount for this key has exceeded...etc" and I can no longer use it at all now.

What a farce, compounded by the fact that Cyberlink Technical Support seems unable or unwilling to offer any solution, 5 days after I reported the problem.

Has anyone managed to find a reliable fix for this problem?
I forgot to add..When I try to play ANY audio file I get the message
powerdvd 12 does not support the playback of this media format
I'm experiencing a problem I've never had with previous versions of PDVD..I cannot play back audio files, whether mp3, Flac or even WAV.
PowerDVD 11 still plays all of them OK as I didn't uninstall it.
The problem started when I imported my files into the library. PDVD12 crashed partly through the music import and from that point on wouldn't play audio-only files. (Strangely, HD audio is fine on Blu-Ray discs)
I uninstalled the program, clearing my settings and reinstalled and playback was OK..until I imported my music files again when I had the same problem.
I'm mystified because Winamp, TMT5 and WMP all play the same files without problems..and so does PDVD12.
Any ideas?
Go to: