Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
VideoFrank: Thank you for your response.

The cost of a new editing system is important to me so it is very unlikely that I would purchase a dual-CPU motherboard unless having 2x 3930K processors totally 24 Threads would mean my Render/Encode/etc processing time would be 300% or more faster than a single 2600K processor.

As you can see from my responses and comments above, I am definitely interested in determining if an Intel i7-2600K or 2700K processor with a Z68 Motherboard utilizing Intel’s Quick Sync Video Technology facility is the best way for me to go. Your comments encouraged me to pursue and research this alternative.

I will also need to determine if I should purchase a Video Card to support other applications that are graphics intensive. For example, Chief Architect – a software program similar to Auto-CAD except that it is a lot better, a lot cheaper and a lot easier to use.

In closing, thank you for your time and assistance, Rick.
PaulTV: Thank you for your response. I have the following questions based on a couple of your comments:

You stated that SSD system drives make “a huge difference to start up times”; do you mean Operating System boot-up time only, or how fast PD10Ultra starts up and runs, or other speed considerations? Based on several reviews/articles that I have read, it appears that I should not use SSD’s to perform AV Editing, Rendering and Encoding; but instead, use fast HDD’s (minimum 7200 RPM) that are large enough to support my AV files.

You also commented that you “always turn off hardware encoding/acceleration”. Please refer to my response above to HDedit regarding the viability of using Intel’s Quick Sync and the Z68 Motherboards with Lucid's Virtu technology. I am trying to determine, “which or what is the best Video solution?” That is, does one solution have a significant performance advantage over the other?

Lastly, regarding 6 Core CPU’s, I received a response from CyberLink Technical Support stating the following:

“In regards to your concern, I would like to inform you that a 6-Core/12-Thread Processor would Render/Encode a HD AVI file (e.g., a 1-hour, 28GB file) 50% faster than a 4-Core/8-Thread Processor. More number of Cores and Threads ensures the faster rendering without any intrusion from other processes/programs running simultaneously.”

To take advantage of the 50% performance improvement, I will have to determine if it is worth the cost to pay for the higher price processor (i7-3930K versus the i7-2600K), a more expensive motherboard, and lastly, I would be forced to purchase a Video Card (which I may be required to do anyway) as the i7-3930K does not possess a built-in GPU chipset; thereby, negating Intel’s Quick Sync Video Technology facility.

DHedit: Thank you for your response. I have the following questions based on your Item #1 and #2 comments:

1. Does your reference to “HW acceleration or encoding” apply to Intel’s Quick Sync (Intel® Quick Sync Video Technology accelerates encoding with built-in hardware and software)?

The following link provides an interesting discussion regarding Intel’s Quick Sync and the Z68 Motherboards with Lucid's Virtu technology (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/motherboards/best-sandy-bridge-motherboard-8-reviewed-1027869).

On the surface, it appears that the following PC configuration would provide the best bang-for-the-buck to take advantage of the above attributes:

Intel i7-2600K Processor:
• 3.4 GHZ Normal, 3.8GHz Turbo (higher rates via overclocking)
• 4-Cores/8-Threads (PD10Ultra will use ALL available Threads)
• Built-In GPU chipset (850 MHz Normal, 1,350 MHz Turbo)
• Quick Sync Video Technology (PowerDirector 64-bit optimized to utilize this technology)

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard:
• LucidLogix® Virtu (Universal Switchable Graphics) - Auto Switching between Integrated Graphics and NVIDIA/AMD Cards
• Integrated Graphics Processor with three (3) video ports (1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1 VGA)
• 4 SATA III ports (which I need)

Corsair Vengeance Memory:
• 8GB [4GB X 2] DDR3-1600 Memory (or 16GB if PD10Ultra will take advantage of the additional memory)

2. Unless I do not properly understand you comment, it doesn’t seem that a 5-10% slower Render time will have a noticeable impact. Next you stated, “depending on type of GPU graphics card” and followed with “fast GPU graphics card are the key factors for high quality (non-GPU) rendering HD video”. Are you saying that a high-end Video Card will have a significant advantage over the Intel Processor/ASUS Motherboard GPU option as I detailed above? If the answer is Yes, is the significant advantage just for the Rendering process or does it speed up the Editing and/or Encoding processes as well?

Lastly, Image accuracy is very important to me as I will be Editing and Rending the following three groups of AV files that I will initially leave in their raw format. Once I have completed all Editing/Rending, then I will encode AV files into applicable formats for posting and distribution:

• 22 HD AVI Files, 298 GB, 10.75 Hours
• 20 Hi-8 video cassettes (40 hours) to be converted to digital AV files
• 81.6GB, 239 files and growing (*.MTS) video from my Sony HDR-CX550V camcorder (AVCHD)

In your follow-up posting you ask about my interest in either Consumer or Professional level AV software products. I am only interested in Consumer level products. The Professional products are way too expensive and too complicated (requiring a time consuming learning curve).

Thank you for your response.

By chance, have you ever timed how long it takes to Render/Encode a somewhat large AV file? For example: something on the order of a 1-hour play-time video. If so, could you please let me know how long it took and any related details? Primarily, your processor (which I assume is an Intel i7-2600K), your memory (type, amount and speed), your operating system (I assume that it may be Windows 7 64-bit), and any other PC configuration details that you consider important to impacting the AV Render/Encode processing time.

My interest is that I am going to build a new PC to replace my 8-year old PC (XP Pro, SP3). My primary objective is to configure a new cost effective PC for optimum performance for Editing, Rendering, Encoding, etc. AV files using CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra (64-bit). I have no practical experience processing AV files using current technology (only on my XP PC). It has become clear to me that the Processor and Memory are two critical components. I have no idea what other components are considered critical or just important to meet my objective (e.g., GPU Video Card, etc.). I want to make sure that I purchase the “key” components that will yield optimum AV processing performance. I plan on using Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) for obvious reasons.

I want to avoid spending money on components that will yield very little increase in AV processing performance. To cite a couple of examples where it may not be money-wise are: (1) purchase 32GB of memory when 16GB would be more than adequate; (2) purchase an Intel i7-3930 processor (which requires a higher-end, more expensive motherboard) when an Intel i7-2600K would be more than adequate; (3) any other important examples.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter, Rick Flack.
Does PD10Ultra use all Processor Cores/Threads simultaneously for Video Editing, Rendering, Encoding, etc? For example: an Intel 2600K or 2700K each with 4 Cores and 8 Threads; and an Intel 3930K with 6 Cores and 12 Threads.

If the answer is Yes, can one assume that all things being basically equal, that a 6-Core/12-Thread Processor would Render/Encode a HD AVI file (e.g., a 1-hour, 28GB file) 50% faster than a 4-Core/8-Thread Processor.

Lastly, is there any way that I can estimate my expected AV Render/Encoding processing times based on AV Play-Time and/or File Size/Type? I assume that CyberLink and their Large User-Base have thoroughly tested and benchmarked the PD10Ultra 64-bit software product on various PC Configurations/Platforms and noted total processing times for Editing, Rendering, Encoding, etc. If so, can anyone please provide PC Platform Configuration information (Processor, Memory and other components you considered noteworthy) associated with benchmark processing times.

Thanks to all in advance for assisting in this matter, Rick.
Does PD10Ultra use all Cores/Threads simultaneously in order to take full advantage of the following Intel Processors (Video Editing, Rendering, Encoding, etc):

2600K and 2700K -- 4 Cores/8 Threads
3930K -- 6 Cores/12 Threads

Thank you for assisting in this matter, Rick.
Thank you for your prompt and thoughtful response.

I will pay close attention to the final CPU and Memory configurations based on your recommendations.
I am seeking expert advice for configuring a new home PC for the primary purpose of Editing and Rendering (Encoding) the following AV files:

298GB, 10.75hrs, 22 files of HD-AVI video (recently converted 8mm, 16mm and Super8 film).
81.6GB, 239 files and growing (*.MTS) video from my Sony HDR-CX550V camcorder (AVCHD).
20 Hi-8 video cassettes (40 hours) to be converted to PC digital files (will upscale if applicable).

Please refer to the attached MS Word document for details.
Go to: